What's new

The Valheim Thread

RoboCop

The future of law enforcement.
Administrator
Premium Supporter
My tip: if you're short on iron, use carts for storage. They're very easy to make once you can access copper and have the same capacity as reinforced chests. Of course, they also have the benefit of being mobile. Here's a pic of my setup:

If you're terraforming with the hoe, all terrain behaves in "columns". So, if you dig really deep and then start digging forward, you'll create a massive trench with every tile you destroy; no need to dig each tile from the top. The same goes for when spending stone to raise terrain height; the game doesn't care how high it raises, it's simply 4 stone per use. So, if you wanted to fill in that pit you just dug, you wouldn't start filling from the bottom, you'd aim at the upper lip of the trench and start "pulling it out" with the hoe. Hope that makes sense.

RoboCop

Administrator
Premium Supporter
So it's viking themed Minecraft? Do I have that right?
Kind of. You can certainly play it that way, but it also has goals and progression. And it's not voxel-based, though it does use pixelated textures for kind of a cool 3d 8-bit look. If you ever played Conan Exiles, it's a little like that meets Minecraft, with a dash of Skyrim thrown in. Combat is pretty solid, though the stamina system is a disaster. No magic or anything, but it looks like it will have a massive mod scene.

Arqwart

D'Vorah for KP2 copium
So it's viking themed Minecraft? Do I have that right?
Definitely a bit more complicated than that. By far the most interesting piece of the game (in my opinion) is that the building system uses a pretty well done, realistic system of weight distribution / support. You can't simply build infinitely into the skybox as your buildings need structural integrity beneath them to stand. Other things like water damage also come into play (no roof and it rains, building a bridge over a river with support beams in the river itself, tides hitting your structures due to weather changes, etc.). It's a really neat building system, especially when combined with the dynamic weather system.

Fuck lugging around heavy ass ores, though. By far one of my least favorite parts of the game.

RoboCop

Administrator
Premium Supporter
Definitely a bit more complicated than that. By far the most interesting piece of the game (in my opinion) is that the building system uses a pretty well done, realistic system of weight distribution / support. You can't simply build infinitely into the skybox as your buildings need structural integrity beneath them to stand. Other things like water damage also come into play (no roof and it rains, building a bridge over a river with support beams in the river itself, tides hitting your structures due to weather changes, etc.). It's a really neat building system, especially when combined with the dynamic weather system.

Fuck lugging around heavy ass ores, though. By far one of my least favorite parts of the game.
There is a popular mod called Valheim+ that modifies a lot of game mechanics, but one of its changes is allowing ores to travel through teleport portals (and it tweaks their weight). It also tweaks the stamina system. I haven't tried it yet since I'm playing with a group, but will probably give it a shot if I do another playthrough. My group just used our longboat to transport 200 silver from our mine to our base, and it was seriously a day-long ordeal lol.

RoboCop

Administrator
Premium Supporter
If anyone else is having performance issues, I followed the advice in this video and it's like playing a different game. If you don't want to watch a video:

If you don't have a Valheim desktop shortcut, you can create one. Then right-click it, select Properties, put your full game path in quotes (it should already be filled in, just needs the quotes). Then, before the quotes, add C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /c start

So, my full path looks like C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /c start "Valheim" /high "D:\Steam\steamapps\common\Valheim\valheim.exe"
You can skip all those steps, you would just need to open Task Manager, right click Valheim, and select High Priority every time you run the game.

Then, in game settings, set particles to Medium. No visual difference but gets a performance boost.
And finally, go to Steam > Steam Apps > Common > Valheim > valheim_data and open the boot.config file with Notepad. Paste the following lines at the top of the file:

gfx-enable-gfx-jobs=1

gfx-enable-native-gfx-jobs=1

You can also right-click Valheim in your Steam Library and add the following to the Launch Options: -window-mode exclusive -molluc=system -USEALLAVAILABLECORES

It also helps running in Fullscreen mode, rather than borderless fullscreen.

RoboCop

Administrator
Premium Supporter
And if you really want to feel like a badass, mute the in-game music and play this the next time you and your buddies are on a longboat headed on a voyage to take on the next major boss.

Second Saint

A man with too many names.
And if you really want to feel like a badass, mute the in-game music and play this the next time you and your buddies are on a longboat headed on a voyage to take on the next major boss.

Anything by Heilung should work too.

In Maidjan is always good place to start with them.

Last edited:

Metin

Ermac & Smoke Main
Great game indeed, super detailed gameplay, one of the best co-op experiences but also super smooth basic visuals in a good way.