What's new

The Ultimate Black Canary Guide(Updated 8-23-17)

xKhaoTik

The Ignore Button Is Free
Na but seriously. Just inch your way in. Dash or flip blocked FTDs. Level 3 punishes FTD anywhere but full screen but if he has trait, you can't capitalize on it so just jump in and do 21 flip. You'll be in (or out depending on which flip you use) and you strategize from there. Punish anything he does with D2 if you're close enough and he has trait, that way you get a 1 hit launcher and he most likely wasted his trait

Derocus

'The Cage Mage'
I've been playing BC for a week and only now just done the tutorial with her.
We can fuckin' flip through projectiles? Is this consistent to actually use? Are there some we can't flip through?
I have so many questions.

HellblazerHawkman

Confused Thanagarian
I've been playing BC for a week and only now just done the tutorial with her.
We can fuckin' flip through projectiles? Is this consistent to actually use? Are there some we can't flip through?
I have so many questions.
I don't know who our cartwheeling pro is, so I'll give the best answer I can. Cartwheels I believe do have some invincibility frames, but you have to be pretty on point to get the benefits from them. I wouldn't call it consistent as of right now, but that's not to say someone won't figure something out. MB rolls are more your friend

Take$$$

gotta take it to make it
Even if you get hit later in the cartwheel, as long as you don't tech roll if it knocks you down, it's pretty worth it to try and flip in every so often.

I cant get the 112 to connect after the Ji2.. it feels like I am too far away to continue the 112 string (it whiffs and the opponent can block)

Lvl 2 Trait + 1 Bar
Starter xx Ex Bf2 Ji2, 2 xx 4, Ji2 112 xx Bf2

any tips?

Last edited:

primedirective

Canaries and Flying Rodents
But if you D2 (with a combo) it a couple times, you pretty much kick their dick in the dirt. And you can D2 all versions of it when you hear the "whoosh!".
If you stand block you can punish reg and MB teleport with full combo and you have more options than if you start with d2. Do what works for you, but the options lean toward block and punish.

Does anyone have any tips on hit confirming her 21, 23, and F13 strings into BF2 or backwards cartwheel on block. At the moment I am doing either/or, and thus sometimes cartwheeling on hit, or BF2 on block... and then getting punished hard. Any advice would be great... as this is my biggest floor at the minute

jokey77

Character Loyalist
Does anyone have any tips on hit confirming her 21, 23, and F13 strings into BF2 or backwards cartwheel on block. At the moment I am doing either/or, and thus sometimes cartwheeling on hit, or BF2 on block... and then getting punished hard. Any advice would be great... as this is my biggest floor at the minute
I feel you. I tried the very same thing and haven't managed it yet. I can hitconfirm either doing a special or nothing at all. However 31 and 32 are both unsafe, so that doesn't help much.

Holding trait and either cancelling it or letting 4 go provides a few extra moments to hitconfirm. It should be safe on block too, when cancelling is done frame perfect.

DeftMonk

Noob

Welcome to the official Black Canary guide for Injustice 2. This guide will cover the most important aspects of the blonde bombshell as we know her. It will be filled with detailed oriented specifics about the character, how she plays,her roles,and tech. It won't have any bloated info as I usually make these guides in mind with the fact that you are playing her to her fullest potential and OR in a tournament setting. Without further ado, lets blow out some ear drums!

INTRO
Dinah Lance is a skilled martial artist who uses her ridiculous scream ability to impair her foes. Her infamous Canary Cry complements her well rounded hand to hand combat skills and intelligence. She has been trained by many of the world's greatest fighters and can even go toe to toe with the likes of Batman in terms of tactical combat. In Injustice 2 she is a close range monster capable of doing big damage by quickly mixing you up with her array of options. Be careful trying to keep her at bay though as she harnesses the deadly Canary Cry that will definitely catch you sleeping if you aren't careful. Fast?Check. Smart?Check Can kick ass?Check. Beautiful?Check. What else do you need to know? Not a thing so lets dive in!

GAMEPLAN

GET IN AND MIX! Seriously. Your job with Black Canary in Injustice to is simply put, Get in there and mix. She has great mobility, solid neutral that becomes godlike with her Level 3 trait, amazing mix-ups, and great damage. She is not a dominate range character so keep in mind you have to use the tools you are given to make your way in and start feasting.Once you are in, make sure you keep the mind games flowing as she can definitely mess with opponents heads. In the corner she's even deadlier, but we'll get to that later. In summary, the girl is a 50/50 machine so your frames won't look so good on paper. But who cares they can't guess right forever! Lets get to the mix factory!

STRENGTHS

Damage
Mix-Ups
Fast Punisher
Full screen combo starter
Reset potential
Looks & body

WEAKNESSES
Zoning
Zoning
More Zoning
Below average / Average Neutral(Overall)
Range
Safety

BEST NORMALS
B1- Her "go to" normal in the neutral. It hits low,has good range, can be special cancelled, and can be used as your whiff punisher in most cases. This is the normal you want etched into your brain as your'e going to need it due to her lack of great ranged options.

B12-Same as above but is a knockdown after b1. Good to keep your opponent honest and a great compliment to B1.

F2-An advancing overhead normal that is +3 on block. It's a hard knockdown and has decent hit advantage. Use it in the corner often and mix it up with B1 as you can really get into your opponents head. It's also great for setting up canary drop shenanigans.

D3-Her sweep is definitely a special one. It's a powerful tool not only because her canary drop gets cross-up setups from it, but it gets weird properties of low profiling as you can see here. While you may not want to rely on this in neutral, keep in mind that its a very VERY powerful thing in your arsenal.

BEST STRINGS
112-Your go to punish string since standing 1 is 6f. Its punishable on block, so if you don't use back handspring as a band-aid prepare to be punished. Note that it can be cancelled into canary drop for cross-up non cross-up.

21-This is what you will mainly be using alongside 23. This is her mid,low option off of her 50/50. Te standing 2 portion of this string can be delayed to catch opponents tht are fuzzying your 21,23 combination. Note:This is used for her vortex as well

23- The mid overhead option from her standing 2 normal. Same as above, it can be delayed to cover fuzzying.

SPECIAL MOVES

DF1- High Parry
DF1 MB-Ex High Parry
DB1-Low Parry
BF2-Soaring Knee
BF2 MB-Ex Soaring Knee

**DB2-Canary Drop**
**Can be done close & far**
DF3-Front Handspring
DF3 Ex-MB Front Handspring

**The next series of moves are done by doing regular handspring & holding X**
Flying scissor kick-Hold X
Crazy legs-Hold down + X
Thrust kick-Hold Up+X
DB3-Back Handspring
(Back handspring has exact same properties and data as front!)

TRAIT
Black Canary's trait is unique to say the least. It has 3 levels to it which has to be fully charged to reach it's full potential. Level one gives you a canary cry that has minimal range,hit stuns the opponent,and grants you safety on block completely. Level 2 trait gives your cry far more range than level 1, grants you a full combo on hit, but with the price of being minus on block albeit you are still safe. Then there's the big baby. Level 3 trait gives you Canary's incredible and possibly most powerful tool, her full screen canary cry. It grants a wall crumple and all but guarantees a full combo. But beware, it's not great if you trade with projectiles as your opponent will fall to the ground before you can combo them and it is also -9 on block. So be wary of your trait management because it's a big part of her game and you must manage it well to succeed. Another tid bit about her trait is that it actually can be charged up much faster if you hold down the trait button. This can be useful if you are at level 2 and you want to get lvl 3 a lot faster.
**Note: Charging cry will make it go faster, but keep in mind you either have to use it or cancel it. Using it will let you use the highest level charged to that point, and cancelling it causes you to lose that level.. So if you charge from lvl 2 to lvl 3 and you cancel it, it will go down to lvl 2. You cancel the cry by inputting DD.**

USEFUL TECH
Now lets get to the good stuff... As you probably know, she is not very safe AT ALL. She is a very high risk, high reward character meaning your'e gonna have to play with some big boy balls. But she makes up for this in her insane 50/50 options off of pretty much everything useful in her arsenal. Usually, most 50/50 characters that are super negative are seen as bad characters because of the safety. But the power in hers come from the fact that hers are almost always ambiguous. Meaning that you don't know which way the move will hit and sometimes, neither does the canary player LOL. Honestly, she has some crazy setups that makes her worth playing alone. Here is an example of a few tech maneuvers she offers. Please check out the community tech spreadsheet linked below for a full breakdown and more setups!

COMBOS
When it comes to her combos you get to pick whether you want damage,setup,or reset. Play her super reset heavy or damage heavy. Really it's up to you. These combos will be posted for optimization for her current state.

Damage Midscreen:

Lvl 2 Trait + 1 Bar
Starter xx Ex Bf2 Ji2, 2 xx 4, Ji2 112 xx Bf2

Lvl 3 Trait + 1 Bar
Starter xx Ex Bf2,Ji2, 2u3,33 xx 4,DF3,B3,Ji2,112 Bf2

Lvl 2 Trait Only
Starter xx 4 Ji2 112 Bf2

Lvl 3 Trait Only
Starter xx 4 xx DF3, B3, Ji2, 1, 112 xx Bf2

1 Bar No Trait
Starter xx Ex Bf2 Ji2, 2u3, 112 xx bf2

Setup Midscreen:

Lvl 2 Trait Only
Starter xx 4 Ji2 112,1+3 OR 33 xx DF3

Lvl 3 Trait Only
Starter xx 4 DF3,B3,
Ji2,1, 112 1+3
Starter xx 4 DF3, B3, Ji2,1, 33 xx DF3

1 Bar No Trait
Starter xx Ex Bf2,Ji2,2U3, 33 xx DF3

Damage Corner:

Lvl 2 Trait
Starter xx 4 jI2, 2u3, 2u3, 112 xx Bf2

Lvl 3 Trait

Starter xx 4 Ji2,2u3,2u3,11,112 xx bf2

1 Bar No Trait
Starter xx Ex Bf2,Ji2,2u3,2u3,112 xx Bf2

1 Bar + Lvl 2 Trait
Starter xx Ex Bf2, Ji2,2 xx 4, Ji2,2u3,2u3,112 xx Bf2

1 Bar Lvl 3 Trait
Starter xx Ex Bf2, Ji2,2 xx 4, Ji2,2u3,2u3,112 xx Bf2

Setup Corner:

Lvl 2 Trait
Starter xx 4 Ji2, 2u3,2u3,33 xx DF3

Lvl 3 Trait
Starter xx 4 Ji2,2u3,2u3, 33 xx DF3

1 Bar No Trait
Starter xx Ex Bf2,Ji2,2u3,2u3,112 xx DF3 Or 112 1+3 Ender

1 Bar + Lvl 2 Trait
Starter xx Ex Bf2,Ji2,2 xx 4,Ji2, 2u3,2u3, 112 1+3 Or 33 xx DF3

1 Bar + Lvl 3 Trait
Starter xx Ex Bf2,Ji2,2 xx 4,Ji2, 2u3,2u3, 112 1+3 Or 33 xx DF3

Anti Air Combo

1 Bar Midscreen
D2,1, 112 xx Ex BF2,33 xx Bf2

Lvl 3 Trait Setup
D2,1,112 xx 4,DF3,B3,112 1+3 Or 33 xx DF1

Parry Combos

High Parry
Lvl 2 Trait-Damage
Ex DF1, Ji2,112 xx 4,Ji2,112 xx Bf2

Lvl 2 Trait-Setup
Ex DF1,Ji2,112 xx 4, Ji2,112 1+3 Or 33 xx DF1

Lvl 3 Trait-Damage
Ex DF1,Ji2,112 xx 4,DF1,B3,Ji2,112 xx Bf2

Lvl 3 Trait-Setup
Ex DF1,Ji2,112 xx 4,DF1,B3,Ji2,112 1+3 Or 22 xx DF1

Low Parry
1 Bar No Trait
DB1,Ji2,B1 xx DB2,B3,Ji2,112 xx Bf2

Lvl 3 Trait Meterless
DB1,Ji2,21 xx 4,DF3,B3,Ji2,112 xx Bf2

Lvl 3 Trait + 1 Bar
DB1,jI2,B1 xx DB2,B3,Ji2,33 xx 4,DF3,112 Bf2

**For the setup off these, just end it in 33 xx Df1, or 112 1+3**

The God Normal

As if she did have crazy stuff before, there seems that she has another very powerful tool in her arsenal. This would be what i like to refer to as, “The God Normal”. This would be Canary’s D3. It is a normal that you should use often, and use a lot in certain MUs. It low profiles a TON of things that gives lots of characters headaches in this game. Few examples include, Batmans J2, Supermans F23,Deadshots wake-up knee, and Black Adams divekick! Take a look at the playlist here and take advantage of this incredible tool.

Example:

RIP BLACK ADAM

Vortex

While it's important to use her cross up game and reset potential, i find myself using this vortex she has quite often because it's another really tough thing to deal with if you come across it. Essentially its taking advantage of her delay mechanic with her standing to as we briefly went over earlier in the guide. It's an annoying thing to deal with and it catches even some of the best reactive players.. I've seen them get hit myself so i don't think you'll be poking out of this a ton given the canary player mixes it up a bit.Check it out below!

CONCLUSION

So there you have it. Everything WE, not I, WE know about Black Canary as of this date you are reading it. We worked really hard to get some crazy stuff going with her and special thanks to each member of the gang! If fast paced, in your face mix up heavy characters is your thing, well you are in the right place. She gets great damage for her risks she takes and honestly she is just so damn fun. Hope you guys learned something useful and it helps if you are trying to pick up the character. Im sure she will evolve as the game goes on so happy playing boyz.

FAQ

Tips on her neutral game and how you should approach playing her!
^^Click Me!!^^

Canary Community Tech Spreadsheet

^^Click Me!!^^

STREAM CHANNELS

https://www.twitch.tv/lookgirlitsteejay
https://www.twitch.tv/trepound380
https://www.twitch.tv/saltyquinn

TOURNAMENT FOOTAGE

Combo Breaker 2017:

Combros Vs Hayatei Top 16

MATCH-UP ANALYSIS

Damn I have been sleeping on this chic! I was just thinking to start dipping into her today as my next char and then I saw that d3. JOHNNY CAGE WITH BOOBS LETS GO

Take$$$

gotta take it to make it
Damn I have been sleeping on this chic! I was just thinking to start dipping into her today as my next char and then I saw that d3. JOHNNY CAGE WITH BOOBS LETS GO
Her d3 in this game is wayyy better than JC's was in MKX imo which is crazy lmaoooooo

Literally the best move in the game why is it so gooooooood