What's new

The TYM Ultra-Mega Hitbox Thread

BillStickers

Do not touch me again.
Hi.

I have limited experience in modifying/creating arcade sticks, so I have a question.

I have ordered a HItBox and some translucent buttons, and wanted to know how to make them light up?

I've been told that I can utilize this: http://www.focusattack.com/phreakmods-usb-repair-tool/
...but 1) what else do I need and 2) how exactly do I do this?

Thanks,
I've never done this either, but If you want to use that usb repair tool, it looks like all you need is some wiring, your LEDs, a resistor per LED, and probably some electrical tape. Look at example 3 on the page you posted. However, this setup might get complicated quickly if you need any additional functionality (option to turn LEDs off, light up on button press, etc.).

EmoScoobyDoo

Maybe I'll have something to say ... Probably not
Not sure if you've resolved your problem as of now but thought I'd throw in my way of doing it.

The way I do my inputs is by sort of rolling my fingers from Down to Forward. It gives you the diagonal input and ensures you also end on forward. It also seems to make things just slow enough to where I always get the cancels. The only time this has caused me problems is with double HCB/F motions which aren't in MK, and even then just slowing down a tiny bit fixes it.

(side note since I do things this way anytime I hear a commentator say hitboxes are better for NRS games I'm like no they're just as good in all games except skullgirls)

EmoScoobyDoo

Ya but Mike Z the creator made inputs function in such a way that the hitbox doesn't provide any advantage and actually made 360 inputs on them harder than other controllers.

I made my own custom hitbox because I wanted to try it out. I had really hard time getting used to hitbox buttons layout. So I am wondering if anyone here is playing MKX with hitbox. What controls are you using on hitbox?

I play D'vorah mainly and here is my controls scheme on gamepad:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/68869363/Custom Hitbox Images/GamepadControlsLayout_MKX.png

Red colored text represents buttons I always keep my fingers on. So they are instant.

And here's on my custom hitbox layout I am making:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/68869363/Custom Hitbox Images/HitboxControlsLayout_MKX.png

Red colored text represents buttons I always keep my fingers on. So they are instant.
Light red colored text represents buttons that I have fingers on but those are pinkies, slightly less responsive since I keep them relaxed. But still basically instant.
Green text is orientator for my right hand. My ring finger is always above it. This way my pointer and middle fingers are in between 1,2 and 3,4 buttons (left of green one).

Front kick on left side is suprisingly easy to press for me. I was thinking of putting it somewhere under punches. But for me it works better if placed up there.
Switch stance I almost never use. I can use it for XRay or I can press Block+Front+Back Kicks.

At first I tried to put block button on green text button and kicks under punches (3,4 - default setup). But I had problems performing Ex buttons.

Only thing I am not fully sure is about that button far left. Might need to put it just a bit lower.
But I am very comfortable with this layout :). I prefer having all main buttons on instant press instead of moving my fingers around. But I also want to have my hand and fingers in relaxed pose.

Here's link to my first experimental custom hitbox:
http://forums.shoryuken.com/discussion/75228/check-out-my-new-arcade-stick-no-image-quoting/p604
I plan to make new one that will be better looking and more advanced. This one was just to try it out.

Last edited:

Scott The Scot

Where there is smoke, there is cancer.
Holy shit that layout looks absolutely mental.

I use hitbox and I keep it default which is
[1] [2] [INTERACTABLE]
[3] [4] [BLK]

EmoScoobyDoo

I use a slightly altered layout
1 2 BLK INT
3 4 THR N/A

Most people have an adjustment period getting used to the hitbox.
The only time I've ever seen a second 30mm thumb button discussed is when USF4 players want a plink button aswell. I don't really think it is a good idea but that good be purely because of how I use my hitboxes; because I find some instant air motions to be easier using my right thumb instead of my left, especially instant air dashes in anime games.

edit: incase anyone was wondering I don't use stance switch because of some odd issues I couldn't figure out with my converter and it triggers both LB and LT at the same time, so I turned off input shortcuts and can do Xrays by doing 3+4+BLK

Last edited:
Haha. Guys, thanks for "liking" my hitbox layout :p . IT'S PERFECT! :D
I might record myself using it when I drill holes into new panel.

I also updated my description there describing colors and buttons prioritization.

Problem I had with:
[1] [2] [BLOCK]
[3] [4] [BLOCK]

Any of those being block is that it would put stress on my hand if I have to Ex => Block + button line under or above Block.
So I placed it in the middle.

P.S.
Why everyone says 1,2,3,4 for buttons instead of X, square, circle, triangle...

Scott The Scot

Where there is smoke, there is cancer.
Haha. Guys, thanks for "liking" my hitbox layout :p . IT'S PERFECT! :D
I might record myself using it when I drill holes into new panel.

I also updated my description there describing colors and buttons prioritization.

Problem I had with:
[1] [2] [BLOCK]
[3] [4] [BLOCK]

Any of those being block is that it would put stress on my hand if I have to Ex => Block + button line under or above Block.
So I placed it in the middle.

P.S.
Why everyone says 1,2,3,4 for buttons instead of X, square, circle, triangle...
1,2,3,4 is a universal numbering system that applies to people from all platforms.

just for reference I he means this one... Direct Link to Shoryuken Post

It really depends on the size. I have recently switched to Hitbox for MKx.. I normally am a stick user. The thing is the official hitbox uses non standard button sizes... your hit box looks to be more like normal button sizes.

When I play MKx on stick.. I use this button layout...

1,2,3,I
B,4,T,S

I have always found this super easy to use and be able to easily keep block in a position I can press at all times. The above layout, imo, is the best for stick and gives you such great access to block.

Still the official HitBox is so small that this layout doesn't work... so I use a very traditional layout.

1,2,B,I
3,4,T,S

The thing is though... if you are making it yourself.. why not build the block into it ... maybe in that cross layout?

Something like this...

This is what I would do if I made my own... a X shape, where 1,2,3,4 have all the pros of being close together and 2 finger assessable, and the block is next top all of them.

EDIT... You would need to test.. but I would make something like this if I knew how..

But T,I,S could be moved about.. but you get the idea. You might need to make the block button a little smaller for example, the goal is to get 1,2 and 3,4 close like LP,MP or LK,LK on a stick. So you can easily hit them with your two fingers.

I did experiment with

Code:
L,D,R     1,2,U,T
       B  3,4,I,S
But there was some strange input things going on like that... Still I get why you are thinking the layout you are.. the big jump button is a perfect spot for the block!

Last edited:
When I play MKx on stick.. I use this button layout...
1,2,3,I
B,4,T,S
Still the official HitBox is so small that this layout doesn't work... so I use a very traditional layout.
Yeah, this is exactly what was my problem was with hitbox, @iSuckAtFightingGames.
I wanted access to block button at all times and you also need it for Enchanted Attacks.
Having block button under 1 was stressing my fingers.

I seen that X shape layout already and I like it. Maybe I will try it. Thanks for the suggestion.

I tried:
Code:
L,D,R     1,2,U,T
       B  3,4,I,S
But there was some strange input things going on like that... Still I get why you are thinking the layout you are.. the big jump button is a perfect spot for the block!
Yeah true, but my problem is that big buttons is a bit more lose compared to small ones. So I placed small button in place of big one, moved it a bit lower and to the right and made another big on the left for jump. I'm confortable jumping with my left thumb. Since MKX doesnt have some complex aerial attacks I think I dont need jump on right thumb.

But biggest issue with hitbox for me was that block button that other games usually dont have.

shura30

Shura
hey, I'm in the process of modding an old hori rap I had for ps2 (the orange tekken5 one)

I can't find a layout with measures, I need them because I want to draw the layout on CAD then customize the panel from there
can someone hook me up?

O.M.3

Noob
i saw in the website the hitbox ps4 have an issue with 8-minute timeout.

i want buy a ( hitbox for XB1 ) does it works with PC ??? if it's yes

i will buy a Brook Converter for my ( hitbox XB1 ) to play it on PS4

RoboCop

The future of law enforcement.
Administrator
Premium Supporter
i saw in the website the hitbox ps4 have an issue with 8-minute timeout.

i want buy a ( hitbox for XB1 ) does it works with PC ??? if it's yes

i will buy a Brook Converter for my ( hitbox XB1 ) to play it on PS4
I've got the PS/360 Hitbox and it works with PC. It's read by Windows as just a standard Windows 360 Controller. The "timeout" issue has to deal specifically with Sony's shitty technology; it's the console not recognizing the controller and booting it, rather than any problem with the Hitbox. There was a simple fix, though, you just had to press a 2-button combination on your Hitbox to reset it every few minutes (the reset takes like 2 seconds). For fighting games, I would just reset between each match and it was never an issue.

O.M.3

Noob
I've got the PS/360 Hitbox and it works with PC. It's read by Windows as just a standard Windows 360 Controller. The "timeout" issue has to deal specifically with Sony's shitty technology; it's the console not recognizing the controller and booting it, rather than any problem with the Hitbox. There was a simple fix, though, you just had to press a 2-button combination on your Hitbox to reset it every few minutes (the reset takes like 2 seconds). For fighting games, I would just reset between each match and it was never an issue.

thanks for reply , i had already Hitbox PS3/PC , but now it;s not working anymore

i tried to change the cable , and still the same problem ( disconnect while playing then on )

the sound of the USB plug/unplug contentiously

i want buy a new one , the XB1 version , am afriad if i bought it will not works on PC

the easiest thing is buying the XB 1 Hitbox so i can play on PC + Brook converter for XB1 To PS4 it had no 8 min timeout

RoboCop

The future of law enforcement.
Administrator
Premium Supporter

sam76

Noob
i am UMK3 fan ,southpaw player ! after i made this stickless arcade (i can do 360 and 720 NO problem) i found that the shape isn't ergonomic enough ! my right hand get pained ,i want it to build another Hitbox style Mirrored layout !... But, i don't know if someone play UMK3 on a Hitbox just to give us idea of the best mapping buttons possible (action buttons)

Komatose

The Prettiest
i am UMK3 fan ,southpaw player ! after i made this stickless arcade (i can do 360 and 720 NO problem) i found that the shape isn't ergonomic enough ! my right hand get pained ,i want it to build another Hitbox style Mirrored layout !... But, i don't know if someone play UMK3 on a Hitbox just to give us idea of the best mapping buttons possible (action buttons)

Have you seen a regular HitBox? Also, is that attack buttons layout comfy enough, or not comfy at all?

sam76

Noob
Have you seen a regular HitBox? Also, is that attack buttons layout comfy enough, or not comfy at all?
hey What's up bro :- ) Sorry did i said (action buttons ) ! i've seen Hitbox layout yes but my issue was where to put the RUN button ! at least for UMK3 !
after tens of games i found this layout is NOT comfy at all !
so i dipped my tip of fingers on ink naturally fallen them into a clean A4 white sheet, then i came up with is , will replace it soon !

Last edited:

x TeeJay o

Canary Cry Gapless Pressure
Alright question, which ones should I go with or should I just get a different design ?