What's new

The TYM Ultra-Mega Hitbox Thread

Kiss the Missile

Red Messiah
I was wondering if you guys know anything about swapping art for the Obsidian Hitbox. I know absolutely nothing about it. I have somebody making some custom art for me, but idk where or who to go to for the next step. I appreciate any help you can toss my way.

Jolt

Uprise
I was wondering if you guys know anything about swapping art for the Obsidian Hitbox. I know absolutely nothing about it. I have somebody making some custom art for me, but idk where or who to go to for the next step. I appreciate any help you can toss my way.
I don't have an answer for you, but I do have an Obsidian Hitbox. I know if you ask the dudes from Arcade Shock on Twitter (https://twitter.com/ArcadeShock) they're usually pretty responsive.

From my understanding, you'll probably just want to order a clear wrap to replace what comes with it and then add your artwork to that but someone else would have to confirm

Komatose

The Prettiest
I think you would need to order clear plexi if I’m not mistaken.

Gooberking

FGC Cannon Fodder
I've spent the last couple of months making a few PC hitboxes and more or less just finished a try hard version with a Brooks board so I can rock on PS4. I used it to play my very first ever KL match. Thing is pretty sweet. Cost me way more in the long run than ordering a real Hitbox, but I'm not using their layout and it's been fun as a project.

Through the iterations I learned a bit about what did and didn't work for me, and tried a bunch of different stuff. I think I've ordered from focusattack.com 4 times or so and arcadeshock.com once. They all had my stuff out for shipping like lightning, so I got nothing but good to say about those exchanges. I got some stuff off of Amazon as well, namely a bunch of the Zerodelay boards to cut my teeth on and the hole saw I used for all the holes.

I ended up finding I hated the 30mm buttons, and used all 24mm spaced 35mm apart. I was cramping up pretty quick with the larger buttons. Layout is similar to a Hitbox but the standard buttons are arranged in a Sega Saturn six button set and the trigger buttons are located in unique places. The bottom row has a fourth button (like the hitbox) for the R2 and the L2 is a thumb key like the down button on a Hitbox.

One unexpected find was after trying like all the buttons I actually like these off brand buttons way better than the name brands like Sanwa. They feel as well or better built physically than some of what I've ordered from the dedicated stores. Touch wise they feel a lot like the blue or brown Cherry keyboard switches. They got that loud click and firm push required. They don't feel spongy at all. I don't know how long they will last, or who actually makes them but for at about $1.10 a piece they are worth a try. They do fit better in the holes I cut than a couple of Sanwa buttons I bought for color. I think because the Sanwa have a larger gap, so that could be a concern if someone's faceplate thickness just barely accommodates those.

I have some touch up to do, but the thing is working though I don't have a touch pad to reset training mode with. Now that I've built it, I got to get to using it.

Gooberking

FGC Cannon Fodder
I don’t know any real people who would actually care about such a thing, so for the non-real peeps, I’ll temporarily put up some really bad pics of the end result. I don't have any real SM presence, so I'm using Steam to put stuff up, and will probably nuke these after a few days. I actually have all the equipment and knowledge to take really nice pictures, so these are shameful and lazy, but I really don’t care enough if your eyes bleed. I literally phoned the effort in. I included a scan of the button layout. I saved it with inverted the color for some reason.

Some links to handy stuff I used. I assume some of the things are standard.

1. My favorite buttons so far. 24mm so know thy button size. (Same as linked above).

2. Hole saw used to cut 24mm holes. This + drill + nothing else = button hole. Some others sell the arbor separately and just makes unnecessary worries that costs more.

3. Cuts down on lots of extra ground wiring.

4. Ready to go wires with insulators. Longer than I expected and can just cut down to whatever you need.

5. Can flip the connectors around. I did every time. I wish the screw holes were farther way from the core, but otherwise a good thing to have. The same 24mm hole saw I used to cut button holes was the best fit I could find for cutting a hole for it. (they have colored rubber things that go with them, but bought separate)

Last edited: