What's new

The TYM/NRS Community Retrospective "Thank You's" Thread

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
So the NRS version of our community has been around for over 6 years now -- and it's a been a crazy ride.

I know that I'd have missed out on so many neat experiences, and so many cool people, and a ton of memorable moments if I hadn't found you guys. So I wanted to say "thank you", but more specifically: I wanted to start a thread where we can say thank you to the people who've done cool things here over the years.

It could be something with personal meaning for you; or just something you saw someone else do that had a lasting effect. But just something you're thankful for having experienced along our winding road :)

Who are you thankful for?

---------------

So I'll start:

Thank you CD Jr. and Tyrant for showcasing an absolutely enthralling Jax back in 2011/2012.. That was the first time I'd ever felt such a magnetic pull for such a character.

On a more personal level:

Thank you Hector Sanchez, Derek Kirtzic and Brian LeBaron for being super cool to me at PAX 2013, letting me hang with you guys and do the broadcast in the Twitch booth before Injustice launched. That was awesome and I'll never forget it.
(Also side thank you's to Arturo Sanchez and NerdJosh for being cool and sharing so much info).

Thank you Soonk for playing casuals wth me (and being salty the entire time) ages ago when I was beyond super-free in MK9 and didn't have footsies, staggers, or anything resembling an actual fighting game meta :p

Thank you @STORMS for having faith in me a really long time ago. It's been a blast being part of the TYM family and having a chance to give something back. Also, thanks for having the fire to keep TYM going for everybody, even when it cost you a bunch.

Thank you @SonicFox5000 for that hilarious interview when you were 15.

@Pig Of The Hut it probably goes without saying, but it's been a blast trading jokes, stories, and all kinds of fun together. Yoooooooooo.

Thank you @Tom Brady for being a friend, and calling me up to complain about Sub Zero at 11-o'clock at night for 3 years in a row.

Thanks to @16 Bit, @cR WoundCowboy, Ducky and the whole crew for being a great hang. So many memorable calls, discussions and silliness over the last few years.. Probably stuff we'll still look back on years later and laugh (the snoring, the promos, the downplaying..). Hippo, Smarr, Ken (my brother from another mother) and Revolver you too. Also, buff Jax. And find The Mole.

Thanks to Whiteboi and @EMPEROR_THEO for generally being awesome buds over these last couple years, and also for making Defend the North such a great experience. Enjoyed hanging through the weekend and watching you both make Top 8 together. Also Dragon, Sonic, Hayatei, Soup, and the rest of the Cheesecake Factory crew.

And to TYM's users, as a whole and the rest of the community -- thank you guys for being around, and contributing your threads, opinions, humor, tech, and everything else over the years. This is the first fighting game community I've ever joined, and I was hooked. I love you all. Except Twe-- nah Tweedy, I love you too :p

Last edited:

Bleu231

Tohan playing shotgun
@Alien Substance for being the g.o.a.t Kratos in my heart during MK9 and teaching me the fundamentals I have now to grow as a fighting game player.

Huge thanks to @Pig Of The Hut for making the Kenshi guides in MKX, they helped me out alot!

Can't forget about @JagoBlakeFGC for being the only person (that I know of) who can make Ninjutsu hype, plus his Jago is awesome to watch.

Last but certainly not least @scarsunseen for having a super chill and funny livestream, I'm pretty sure it's the only stream that I'm willing to watch from beginning to end. Thanks Scars.

Cobainevermind87

Mid-match beer sipper
Watching @Tom Brady throughout MK9's lifespan pushed me to actually LEARN fighting games and make that leap from casual scrub to competitive player. I'm glad he's continuing to be active in the community and sharing his knowledge. Thanks for getting me hooked.

Also thanks to @Ragnarök Tyr for coming into the streams and sharing all of his knowledge with the viewers and myself over the past year or so. Appreciate all the help man.

STORMS

Co-founder
Founder
Premium Supporter
Really though, THANK YOU @CrimsonShadow for making a thread like this. It's great to have the shared stories and appreciation for each other put out there every so often, because it often gets forgotten, or at least over time.

I personally still feel honored to be where I am with TYM. It's nuts to think how far we've come. I know I'm not always around as much as I was in 2008 (been with the online community since '05) but I am still around. @CrimsonShadow and @MKB have my cell # in case they need me for anything dire, etc.

My goals for TYM is to just keep bettering it and I plan to.

We are the largest NetherRealm Studios board on the web and it's thanks to every single one of YOU.

Also, thanks to all NetherRealm staff, both current and previous... getting their attention was a milestone.

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
@THTB for pointing out flaws in my fundamentals and offering advice on how to improve.
@Madzin for kicking my ass over and over in mk9.
@Asodimazze for all of the above and more.
@Espio for his friendship.
@STORMS for maintaining this dump despite its issues.

The rest of you who asked me to come back when I was about to bail, you know who you are.

JBeezYBabY

Mr. Righteous
Well isn't this a sweet thread!

In a short amount of time, y'all embraced my cooky, perky, colorful personality, ?Question mark? saying, happy happy joy joy Black ass! Everybody who has showed me love on this site, especially the mods, have made my heart warm and keep me smiling to be here. Hell, I'm smiling now as I'm typing, because I'm thankful ...EDIT...I'm GRATEFUL for finding this community. And from the bottom of my heart, thank you all and cheers to the future!

Righteous :l:qtl:D:qtr:r

tafka Djinn

One for three off the roof
@Pig Of The Hut you helped build the scene in some drastic ways, and were a large part of the reason I started taking MK titles seriously instead of just casually. Thank you for all the work you did.

@Belial I want to thank you for the Shang Tsung guide during MK9 when I was just lurking about. Your info helped me use my favorite character in the franchise capably, and are the reason my favorite MK9 moments could happen.

True Grave

Giving The Gift Of Graves
I'm thankful for @Solo accepting me back in 2012 for Killas/KTO. Had I never sought to join a clan during the MK9 day I would have never found TYM and all its glory...and toxicity. Also for @Shadow316 for being a great friend over these last several years. Here's to more great times with TYM and the FGC!

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Really? Do enlighten...
He bothers me in all my social media accounts trying to convert me to sign a petition to get khrome to MK11.

Anyway regarding the thread, i would like to say thank you all on TYM for bearing with me all these past 6 years ever since MK9 dropped, i remember each single one of you very well even if not every single one of you will remember me.

To the kindful talk, tech discoveries, engine improvement everything we did and have so far for the community the NRS itself we were all part of it somehow.

Special thanks to: Paulo and 16bit for being great listeners, STORMS for the exposing, Pig for keeping it real, CDbros, the Zoning Master M2dave, Slips and Red, My boy Scar and of course the kid prodigy FOX, and i think the only thing really left for me to do, is travel and get to meet you guys in person, which i've tried so many times and failed, but i never lost hope, 2019 its probably the year i will be able to do this hopefully on my own rather than expecting help from many that never ends up being possible or way too late.

See you guys around.

Who are you thankful for?
In general:
  • Storms, for maintaining the site out of his desire to see the NRS community grow. Without Mr. Naylor, I wouldn't have had the chance to see TYM and the good information it had to offer when I stumbled onto the site during the MK9 days.
  • Tim Static, MKB, Crimson and the rest of the old staff members who accept me as a mod and respect me despite my shortcomings and lesser experience.
  • The members I've had good dealings with. Always nice to have a constructive chat.
  • The members I've had less-than-desirable dealings with. These situations serve to help me grow as an individual. Favorable decisions are fine and well, but mistakes are what build up the hardiness and growth of a person. I have made good decisions and bad calls across my time.
  • The information on TYM provided by you kind and/or self-serving individuals. The philosophical discussions, the guides, the tech and gimmicks throughout the days of the games since I've arrived here. These were all interesting to see! I extend my thanks to all you fellows!
  • I thank every one of you who had a part in my growth as a player and as a person.
  • Kratos the MK9 Guest. I started out my modship as the keeper of my main's graveyard forum. (This was a time when TYM still had mods for specific character forums.) It's likely that I would not be where I am now if it weren't for that miserable black albino guest character.
  • Whoever came up with the idea of Cyber Sub-Zero and whoever thought it'd be great to have CSZ as Triborg's 4th variation. I had a lot of fun playing as Cyber Sub-Zero, and to this day, no MKX character gives me more joy than CSZ.
On a more personal level:
  • @Squeaker101 - My first friend. You unknowingly got me to join TYM over five years ago. I had a great time with you and the rest of our brigade; including but not limited to: Zyns, ShadowBeatz, Gamma, Sentius, Derpinsen, Nemesis, RYX...
  • @Killphil - I am happy to have helped you. It was a good experience for me. The PS3 which you gifted me way back then is still functional and in use! Thanks for that.
  • @Bleu - It's great to have somebody to teach fundamentals to so I end up having a training partner. Your continued drive for fighting games makes me want to keep going so I can help you.
  • @Crusty - I helped you mature, you helped me grow as a person. We gave understanding to each other, and I appreciate it.
  • @Indecisive - I thought you had some hollywood status at first. It was a surprise for me to learn that you were an "average white guy", and that you found a connection with me. I thank you for being there for me in the past years. I miss you sometimes.
  • @Donsonite - During the small crisis I had here as I lacked interest in IGAU, you started the Injustice Pals and I had an interesting time there. You did well in leading. Shoutouts to the old crew, (too many to name here, but you all know who you are if you're reading this.)
  • @Spinky - You amuse me. Plenty of people think your posts are comedy gold, so cheer up!
  • @LucaTheRipper - However short our time may have been together, we had nice conversations. I hope you're doing okay.

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous
I don't really have personal connections to anyone on this site.

I came here at random one day when I was building a MKII Arcade Box for the balcony and I saw this site mentioned on TRMK. This was a around MK9 launch.

From there I started to get involved, not at the competitive level which so many aspire to, but as a spectator. I started watching streams of locals with Aris and his Smoke and Tom and stuff, and slowly started to know the player's public personas and recognise the TOs and the major events.

MK and the arcade culture that was around when I was a kid is still big with me (yes I am old, way older than I suspect many around here lol) but TYM introduced me to an entire new concept, eSports. Something I like to watch, as much as any type of football.

So I guess while I have no one in particular to thank I just want to thank TYM itself and those that help run it and those that are active on it, both mods, players and others like me.

#MK4Life