What's new

The Truth About MLG

DevilMaySpy

Mama's Little Bumgorf
There is a lot of speculation going around, and this will inevitably be discussed by loads of angry people, so I´m just going to tell you straight up.
  • The internet failed and the TOs refused to move the tournament forward without online brackets. Hey, here's some pen and paper, can we just write it in and update it later? Nope!
  • Hotfix was botched because someone switched users; it's not PL's fault.
  • No one informed us of anything, ever. We had to get Tom to chase down somewhat knowledgeable officials.
  • Security aggressively removed us from setups and disallowed us to watch our friends play "to avoid fire hazards".
  • They allowed COD players to loiter in the exact same area and turned a blind eye.
  • They began to mock us when we respectfully pointed out they're taking up the same space we were kicked out of.
  • I asked Ultradavid to contact Adam about this, and 5 minutes later "they've changed their minds and are allowing us to watch our friends play while endangering their jobs."
  • Ultradavid is doing whatever he can to help, while others are just standing around scratching their heads.
  • None of the judges are sending any matches to the stream, which leaves you with 5 hours of elevator music.
  • I brought this to the attention of the guy running things and he gave the clearance to put any good match on stream.
  • By this time, everyone just wanted to leave.
  • N Megabytes got on a 26 hour flight from Australia because he was told MLG is the gold standard of tournaments, then got treated like garbage.
  • I'm making sure things run smoothly tomorrow and you get actual gameplay instead of 3 hours of ads.
All in all, worst tournament experience of my life. Hoping to turn things around tomorrow.

Swindle

Philanthropist & Asshole
Yeah, the whole affair was a clusterfuck. It seemed as though TO's just stepped aside, and were letting the whole thing be run by security and a few players/commentators. Hard to get a read on the situation, though, when things went the way they did. *sigh

M2Dave

Zoning Master
Sounds like injustice was treated pretty badly. But having said that Theres a 7k pot. Just gotta do what they say. You go to MLG to get paid. You want a fun experience? Then go to a grassroots event.
I hear players paid an $80 venue fee for this tournament... not to mention the poor Australian guy who traveled 20+ hours and probably paid $1,500+ for the plane ticket to Anaheim.

People spend lots of money. They are away from their families. They take time off work.

I think it is fair to demand at least a somewhat reasonably run tournament.

DevilMaySpy

Mama's Little Bumgorf
Thats pretty much how it goes man. I'm not seeing jupiter pig or theo here saying anything. And there in winners to play tomorrow
That sure does send a great message to the community. Don't go to MLG unless you're an odds on favorite to win. If your name isn't Sonic Fox, Jupiter or Theo, just fuck off. Don't try to find ways to improve things, just deal with it. Keep it up man. That hole isn't going to dig itself.

There is a lot of speculation going around, and this will inevitably be discussed by loads of angry people, so I´m just going to tell you straight up.
  • The internet failed and the TOs refused to move the tournament forward without online brackets. Hey, here's some pen and paper, can we just write it in and update it later? Nope!
  • Hotfix was botched because someone switched users; it's not PL's fault.
  • No one informed us of anything, ever. We had to get Tom to chase down somewhat knowledgeable officials.
  • Security aggressively removed us from setups and disallowed us to watch our friends play "to avoid fire hazards".
  • They allowed COD players to loiter in the exact same area and turned a blind eye.
  • They began to mock us when we respectfully pointed out they're taking up the same space we were kicked out of.
  • I asked Ultradavid to contact Adam about this, and 5 minutes later "they've changed their minds and are allowing us to watch our friends play while endangering their jobs."
  • Ultradavid is doing whatever he can to help, while others are just standing around scratching their heads.
  • None of the judges are sending any matches to the stream, which leaves you with 5 hours of elevator music.
  • I brought this to the attention of the guy running things and he gave the clearance to put any good match on stream.
  • By this time, everyone just wanted to leave.
  • N Megabytes got on a 26 hour flight from Australia because he was told MLG is the gold standard of tournaments, then got treated like garbage.
  • I'm making sure things run smoothly tomorrow and you get actual gameplay instead of 3 hours of ads.
All in all, worst tournament experience of my life. Hoping to turn things around tomorrow.
Appreciate the breakdown. You're a standup guy and I appreciate what you do for the community.

STB Shujinkydink

Burning down in flames for kicks
That sure does send a great message to the community. Don't go to MLG unless you're an odds on favorite to win. If your name isn't Sonic Fox, Jupiter or Theo, just fuck off. Don't try to find ways to improve things, just deal with it. Keep it up man. That hole isn't going to dig itself.

From the sounds of how this tournament is going MLG just wants the money. They dont care about the community. So why are we supporting it? Stick to grassroots. Improving things isnt up to us at these events. Its out of our hands