What's new

The thing I’m looking forward to the most about D’vorah

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
D’vorah had more impact to the lore of MK in one game than Reptile had in 25 years. Shitter, indeed.
That's the writers fault, not the character's. It would be easy to make reptile a badass. But they pick favorites, just like we all do. D'Vorah is someone's pet project at NRS just like how Scorpion is Boon's favorite.

And as I said, she's a shitter to ME. Just like how, perhaps, reptile is a shitter to YOU.

stokedAF

casual kahnage
That was a mileena thing in mkx so I can see them exploring this in mk11 if mileena sits out. I’m glad they got rid of the hair lol.

stokedAF

casual kahnage
Does anyone remember this awesome concept art from MKX? Let’s hope this gets realised.

Gross, I like it. It reminds me of that one fish that has the parasite living in its mouth, feeding on whatever the fish eats. If she hacked up bugs and threw them around it would be sick, in a good way and a bad way.

Swindle

Philanthropist & Asshole
That's the writers fault, not the character's. It would be easy to make reptile a badass. But they pick favorites, just like we all do. D'Vorah is someone's pet project at NRS just like how Scorpion is Boon's favorite.

And as I said, she's a shitter to ME. Just like how, perhaps, reptile is a shitter to YOU.
I’m fond of both. I just try not to engage in too much fanfic, because many here have confused themselves as to what is canon.
Reptile could be a badass, but he isn’t canonically. Perhaps they will see fit to alter this in MK11, but I don’t see that happening.

DDustiNN

MK11 Pocket Guide: Koming Soon to the App Store
I'm hoping that since the same voice actor for Baraka voiced Reptile, and the voices are literally exact, that means Reptile won't show up. He's had so little substance as a character whereas D'Vorah's had more impact than Reptile ever had. I can't think of a single moment where Reptile did something that had me like "Woaaaaaahh what a cool character."

But I'll never forget how badass D'Vorah looked when she betrayed Kotal and stole Shinnok's amulet. The wicked smirk on her face.
I’ll never forgive her for killing Mileena.

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
Sub-Zero and Reptile have completely different voices though and his Baraka voice is the exact same as his Reptile one lol

Imagine Baraka versus Reptile and it's the exact same voice, same dialect and all, just with deeper autotune. That's already two characters he's going to have to do all that voice work for. It's not like Troy Baker who did Fujin, Shinnok, and Erron Black. Or Kelly Hu who voiced D'Vorah, Sindel, and Frost. Fujin, Sindel, and Frost all had very limited lines in the story. (They were probably only asked to do them because they were already on the lot to do the playable characters who have a lot more lines.)

So, Steve Blum's already playing Baraka and Sub-Zero, both of which have all that dialogue. I'm guessing that even if we do see Reptile, he'll be a story mode NPC. But even then. There's only so many reptilian scratchy throat gurgles that one man can do to differentiate a character from another.

It's possible they could get a new voice actor entirely for Reptile though.
It’s actually different.

Reptile speaks with hissy kind of dialect and slightly dragged th’s and s’s.

Baraka’s is mostly just hoarse and not nearly as guttural, but yeah on the surface they sound similar.

They are still messing around with distorting it though, someone noticed that in the most recent build we saw it’s already been pitched down
https://www.reddit.com/r/MortalKombat/comments/anvlwx/noticed_a_pitch_change_in_barakas_voice_to_make/?st=JRUXJ2NP&sh=8827f036

Compared to:

Blade4693

VIVIVI
Yeah im still a little salty about her killing Baraka and Mileena in MKX. I know Baraka is back (yay!) but you don't kill the queen, you just don't do it.

xenogorgeous

.... they mostly come at night. Mostly.
Yeah im still a little salty about her killing Baraka and Mileena in MKX. I know Baraka is back (yay!) but you don't kill the queen, you just don't do it.
could be so amazing , having Mileena and Baraka working together and ripping D'vorah to pieces in MK 11 story .... would be the perfect "Payback" time ever ! imagining a scene where both just set her up and ending slashing, tearing and slicing all that insectoid body, and eating her blue brain together, rrsrsrsr

Blade4693

VIVIVI
could be so amazing , having Mileena and Baraka working together and ripping D'vorah to pieces in MK 11 story .... would be the perfect "Payback" time ever ! imagining a scene where both just set her up and ending slashing, tearing and slicing all that insectoid body, and eating her blue brain together, rrsrsrsr
That would be amazing, especially if Mileena got the kill shot so to speak lol I want revenge!

SINGH E

Noob
You guys are forgetting that Reptile also served as the vessel for Onaga in MK Deception a pretty big part of the lore. Though that was probably his biggest moment and it was something that he himself wasn't the benefactor of (though he did stop devolving and became more humanoid after in MKA). Reptile was created as a secret character in the last minute in an era where they had to do palette swap characters due to memory constraints so that they could get in as many characters as possible.

D'Vorah was created from the ground up where those memory limitations of the past were no longer a problem. They also created her with the intention of having an important role.

Reptile was created as a side character that was a secret in the beginning and borrowed the moves of Scorps and Subs in MK1. Now, sure they have made him his own character over the years and made him more unique. However, the writers have never written him as an important figure in the lore. His gameplay, however, has always been top notch and was fun to play in the classic games which is why fans love him.

Zaccel

Noob
If you go off of performance, reptile is almost a joke character with how much he jobs and how little he matters to the plot as his own character. He exists as a means to make other characters look good and he barely had a personality...If you go off of design he’s literally either a generic ninja or a goofy lizard man.
In fairness, D'Vorah's personality isn't much easier to pin down. She's only especially noteworthy for the accomplishments she had in MKX (and retcons making her more relevant).
Reptile at least has the advantage of being a lizard man--a swords-and-sorcery staple, something which Mortal Kombat takes a great deal of inspiration from. Not saying a Wasp Woman is worse or invalid, but Reptile's "goofiness" isn't a product of his premise.

D’vorah had more impact to the lore of MK in one game than Reptile had in 25 years. Shitter, indeed.
D'Vorah's plot relevance, I'd argue, is more a matter of sloppy writing than an intrinsic fault of Reptile's. Swooping in and killing off fan-favorites (and being a mole) are certainly interesting on paper, but Worfing older characters is a pretty cynical move to make a new character seem competent.

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
In fairness, D'Vorah's personality isn't much easier to pin down. She's only especially noteworthy for the accomplishments she had in MKX (and retcons making her more relevant).
Reptile at least has the advantage of being a lizard man--a swords-and-sorcery staple, something which Mortal Kombat takes a great deal of inspiration from. Not saying a Wasp Woman is worse or invalid, but Reptile's "goofiness" isn't a product of his premise.

D'Vorah's plot relevance, I'd argue, is more a matter of sloppy writing than an intrinsic fault of Reptile's. Swooping in and killing off fan-favorites (and being a mole) are certainly interesting on paper, but Worfing older characters is a pretty cynical move to make a new character seem competent.
I could get into a small debate here but looking at your profile picture and flair, I don’t think I’d get an objective and unbiased conversation going.

But I also won’t tell you you’re wrong for thinking that.

Swindle

Philanthropist & Asshole

Again, try not to get juicy over your fanfic. The writing, sloppy or not, IS Reptiles story. It isn’t like he’s off having awesome adventures in between story modes. He is one-note, and that’s part of his charm. But D’vorah was written to matter, at least for the one game she was in. We will see what happens going forward.

Zaccel

Noob
But D’vorah was written to matter, at least for the one game she was in. We will see what happens going forward.
Y'all got me dead to rights. The writing is of course a double-edged sword. I enjoy Reptile for being low-key; I don't mean to direct Reptile's low importance against D'Vorah--I just wasn't crazy about how she shook out in MKX.

I'm actually glad to see her back, since she's MKX's contribution to the series' esteemed roster of monsters. I don't like how they incorporated her into the story, but gameplay's more important and that's somewhere where D'Vorah can definitely deliver.

SINGH E

Noob
D'Vorah is essentially the new Quan Chi, a character that is shoehorned into situations such as appearing in the MK2 timeline in that scene she fought Raiden in MKX to make her seem more important to the plot. Also killing off classic characters as well as being treacherous by nature. Hell, she even betrayed Shinnok in her ladder ending ala Quan Chi in MK4.

Why do you think Quan Chi was weak in MKX and was ultimately killed off after having a strong showing in MK9? So that D'Vorah can take his place in the series as that annoying villain that reminds you of that piece of shit that just doesn't flush down the toilet no matter how hard you try!

Quan Chi was dominant during the 3D era and in MK9. He was a villain that was given special treatment and some plot armor. Being a Scorpion fan, I was so glad he finally killed Quan Chi and got his vengeance, waited 17 years for that lol! Quan Chi was getting so annoying.

D'Vorah now has that spot, we will see how long that lasts (Though she is a favorite of Boon's so it might be a long damn time!).