The Supergirl General Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Supergirl' started by CrimsonShadow, May 17, 2017.

1. JDE

JDE Doing the Kryptonian shuffle!

PSN:
    oJDEo
    XBL:
    XX JDE XX
    Better have fun with this version this time because the next go around (if there is another patch), she's getting nuked. It's because of her design. I've already accepted it. It'll be more than just her mb ice breath. It'll be cross ups & knockdowns. Pretty much everything that made her unique to play. The community thinks she ruins the game by ambiguous cross ups & even mixups.

The reality of it is that either she should have it to where she's not able to have + pressure while remaining safe & her damage output. She would lose her turn. However, it's what the community wants. Honestly, I thought hard before posting some of her ways of building meter because I thought of it being an uproar.

At the end of the day, Idc what people think, but I do think because so much hate for her is going around & what some of the players think in terms of high level, she will take a huge step back. It's not going to stop me from playing her, but I expect to have to find something else for her gameplan in the future. I've played her since the game's release.

Also, to the people going around telling folks that they should "die in a house fire with their families" because you don't like fighting a character, you're pathetic & I hope you read this. There should be no place in this community or any other community for that kind of talking. Online or not.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
    Sazbak likes this.
  2. Superman64

Superman64 Noob

I hope they don't. I wanna keep her abilities intact. She is the only character who I have non-stop played since launch. All I hope they do is revert the damage buff if anything and keep what makes her fun and special intact.

Lex Luthor II likes this.
  3. JDE

PSN:
    oJDEo
    XBL:
    XX JDE XX
    @Superman64 @Sazbak It won't be. They don't like ambiguous situations. Expect a change is what I'm trying to tell you. Don't be surprised. The whole intent of playing Supergirl is to manage resources while being able to fight. That's where the tricky part comes in because now that people have figured out how to play her in neutral & manage meter, it's hard to fight her. Her opponents are supposed to make her exhaust all of her options in some shape or form. Make her hang herself. The issue is no one sees a glaring weakness to fighting her while being easy to use.

Even in vanilla, there were players saying that she had nothing really scary or redeeming because of the lack of safety (before b123 was changed to -4) & people didn't find her as annoying. Only people here who disliked fighting her did because either they didn't know or think to look into her strings.

If they would've not given her the damage increase the way that they did, I don't think it would have been as bad because she still would have to get on top of players & make the right read on wake ups without worrying about dying so quickly. That or they were dealing with 112 situations with her feeling very strong. That & like I said, changing the push back on mb ice breath while being -5.

Having no losing match ups is honestly a dumb argument. Characters not having a losing match up doesn't necessarily mean that they're "overpowered". I've seen matches across the board where characters have lots of even match ups & then only like 4 winning ones. Then some characters go even but then lose maybe 4 or a little more. 4-6 is not a winning match up, but it's definitely a winnable one. People act like it's a death sentence.

It is what it is though. Whatever it is that they do to her I wish that they would do so that people can stop getting personal with hate messages (which is immature as fuck) & then start fights over spilled milk. What I hope to gain out of this discussion is a way to keep her the way she is in the long run without her losing a ton of things that makes her design so unique. But this will take a lot of unbiased opinions from both Supergirl mains AND others who dislike her.

Problem is no one wants to get out of their feelings. One side hates her & post a lot of hateful things showing how butthurt they are instead of addressing what they have issues with. The other side which is us who feel we have to keep defending her even single turn & don't like admitting she's stronger than than we realize (which I personally said she was top 5). Then there's a lot of people here who only discuss changes that benefits them & not really the entire cast.

4. Sazbak

Sazbak Premium Supporter
    Premium Supporter

AFAIK Supergirl is yet to win a major. Theo, Scar and Nivek are really good players yet their performance don't support the argument that Supergirl is broken. Theo is the most successful one among the 3 but he also plays a lot of Superman. I think this is what NRS had in mind for this patch. They looked at the tournament results and based their nerfs according to the highest achieving characters. That's why Captain Cold got a nerf(Sonicfox), while Supergirl didn't.

Lex Luthor II likes this.
  5. JDE

PSN:
    oJDEo
    XBL:
    XX JDE XX
    I tagged you in a post above.

6. Superman64

Superman64 Noob

It's not that I don't agree or understand what your saying it's I just don't want it to happen. I also agree she is top 5

Edit: in all honesty I expected something to happen this patch.

7. JDE

PSN:
    oJDEo
    XBL:
    XX JDE XX
    A lot of the fear from me comes from the history of how NRS chooses to patch things & then give too many things.

Also @Sazbak, some of them that you mentioned including Theo believes shes stupid lol. Some do, some don't.

8. Sazbak

Sazbak Premium Supporter
    Premium Supporter

Can you give me an advice on picking a secondary character?
    SG doesn't have bad matchups but I thought maybe I could turn those 5-5s into more advantage by picking up a new character.

My criteria:

1. Covers SG's 5-5 matchups as mentioned above.
    2. Easy to pick up.
    3. Has an advantage against Superman(in my local scene Superman is popular)
    4. Rarely used so people are not used to fighting against him/her.

I don't expect a character to exist which covers all of the above points but that's ok.
    Who do you suggest?

9. Superman64

Superman64 Noob

Catwoman

Sazbak and Lex Luthor II like this.
  10. Goatlegs

Goatlegs Noob

But don’t you guys know? Supergirl is the second coming of mk9 Kabal. Duh...

But really, I have some faith in NRS this time around, they’ve handled top tiers pretty well so far in this game imo. I hope I don’t eat these words.

11. Sazbak

Sazbak Premium Supporter
    Premium Supporter

Do you turn on Input Shortcuts for SG? Aside from the occasional accidental db1 it's annoying when you try to insert your straight laser between your opponent's projectiles and you do either an upward or a downward laser.

12. ik i do.

Everytime i get mad at an opponent or dont feel like playing i just pick broke girl and get my free wins instead.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2017
  13. Supergirl reasonable and best nerf is...

Make d1 into ice breath not combo. It really is the ultimate solution

14. SaucyD0ge

SaucyD0ge Worst european batman

Or make the gaps bigger(8 frame, so that anyone with half a brain can finally counterpoke).

15. youre actually looking for low recovery frames not necessarily low minus frames. theres plenty of moves with low minus frames but arent very good for staggers. also however fast the startup is on the next move is important

Last edited: Nov 17, 2017
  16. making the gaps bigger would be a big help for certain characters who dont get much off of their d1 comboing however i feel that getting rid of the d1 into ice breath really is the fairest.

17. youre honestly mistaking if you think that they really are going to nerf this character hard. She has been the most benefiting character from every single patch, clearly they love this character. so really you can expect this character to get at the least a tap on the wrist.

18. Goatlegs

Goatlegs Noob

Fair enough. But only if we get unlimited trait so I can do walking laser forever.

It really is the ultimate solution ;).

myri likes this.
  19. I wouldnt even be surprised if this happened tbh. the hand holding has been real.

and d1 ice breath nerf would be the nicest offer of a supergirl nerf you would ever get. If I actually didnt detest the character I would take that deal in a heartbeat.

20. SaucyD0ge

I don’t know if this happened to you, but this is usually how it goes for anyone.
    You beat their main, they pull out an obnoxious wake-up teleport happy SG and you have the respect all of those gimmicks until your turn comes.Which some characters have to wait for.Her biggest issue stems from her being an easy auto-pilot and you having to respect her anywhere on the screen, therefore holding obscene gimmicks.

21. no its more like the character already beats mine and so every single player i play ends up picking her eventually and then i just switch to her because these weak players cant beat me at their own game

22. SaucyD0ge

Not to mention her gratuitious amount of winning matchups...

23. New York Pizza

New York Pizza Premium Supporter
    Premium Supporter

Wonder Woman. You need to be a good wiff punisher and able to back up just as much as advance forward but she pretty much covers the above, and she beats super man. For wowos losing mus (GL, Dr. fate, Cyborg, Ivy, and Firestorm) you can use super girl easy in those mus. And she has like... virtually no representation which makes me sad and compelled to advertise in other character forms for people to pick her up I swear I have no agenda here I'm simply trying to help you out here I promise this is 100% a genuine answer to your super girl problem ok I'll stop bye.

24. Sazbak

Sazbak Premium Supporter
    Premium Supporter

I actually love wowo's style and considered her a while ago but I was told she is hard to play. Is there a high level streamer who plays her?

New York Pizza likes this.
  25. New York Pizza

New York Pizza Premium Supporter
    Premium Supporter