The Supergirl General Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Supergirl' started by CrimsonShadow, May 17, 2017.

1. CrimsonShadow

CrimsonShadow Administrator and Community Engineer
    Administrator

Let's go :D

Juggs likes this.
  2. Juggs

Juggs Lose without excuses
    Lead Moderator

Totally didn't realize the other thread said "pre-release" discussion.

Anyway, Supergirl's damage is slightly worrying. Obviously she's a good character but in the long run once people learn the matchup you're going to have to force a TON of mistakes in order to take their health bar. Like even her corner float loop doesn't do too much.

3. SaltShaker

SaltShaker In Zoning We Trust

Obviously super early in the game, but I'm thinking that her damage comes from ending combos into holding the 50/50 oki guess? Like it's easy and safe to hitconfirm, and if they block you have super good buttons to push to land that next hit back into the setup.

That's what I'm thinking at least. Only way around the low damage I've seen so far.

Juggs likes this.
  4. Juggs

Lead Moderator

Yeah true, it's just weird to me that a Kryptonian has some of the lowest damage in the game. Not necessarily a horrible thing since she has the mixups, it just irks me a bit. I really like Supergirl A LOT but I've always used characters that hit like a truck. Just gonna take some getting used to.

SaltShaker likes this.
  5. AK TwoOneTwo_Remy

AK TwoOneTwo_Remy Some Rusty Scrub

XBL:
    SGRemy
    Yeah low dmg for sure but she can string together hits pretty well with her b3throw into f3 mixups.

The fact that she deals with zoning pretty well is a big plus in a character. Especially in this game.

Corner dmg is real good though. Mobility too. Solid basic character that can catch people sleeping. I'm sticking with her for the duration of the game....unless NRS destroys her for some reason

Professor Oak likes this.
  6. KHTC Takgillo

KHTC Takgillo Premium Supporter
    Premium Supporter

XBL:
    takgillo
    What are some of her BnB in the corner

7. Rathalos

Rathalos Play Monster Hunter!
    Premium Supporter

Anyone make a basic starters guide for her?

-LD50- and ShotgunInsanity like this.
  8. I have now idea what buttons I should be pressing in neutral, she's crazy minus on alot of her ranged normals/strings.

9. KHTC Takgillo

Premium Supporter

XBL:
    takgillo
    B12 should be your go to you cancel it into her breath shoulder charge or laser to keep it safe

10. CrimsonShadow

Administrator

I just realized that instead of doing f23~air throw, you can do f23~float -> air throw -- this is of no practical use except for the fact that it builds you a tiny bit of additional meter each time :p

11. AK TwoOneTwo_Remy

XBL:
    SGRemy
    like Takgillo said b12 is what i press 98% of the time. 112 is also safe iirc. d1 is ok.

i don't think i could recommend cancelling strings into laser. the delay is too great and I've been getting hit consistently. they can duck the standing laser. have to use d4 and like i said, can be interrupted pretty easily. maybe character dependent?

12. CrimsonShadow

Administrator

So the meta around this is that if you do it, you use the close ground laser (db+4). But you'd have to condition them first either with b12~breath or (occasionally) b123 so that they don't expect the gap. If they're expecting the gap, they can blow it up.

If you do it and they blow it up, then next time to b12~something else and exploit the mash (you could also get really cocky and do b12~mb teleport, but that's a gimmick).

x TeeJay o likes this.
  13. CrimsonShadow

Administrator

Breath is only safe is you MB it though. So if you do this without meter, it's a punish. Same for Kryptonian Force.

The variable timing on it is counterable by the easiest option select in the game -- you just hold down and keep mashing 2. The d2 won't come out until breath ends. It also won't come out if she MBs.

14. Juggs

Lead Moderator

Breath isn't safe unless MB'd. Not sure about laser or shoulder

15. KHTC Takgillo

Premium Supporter

XBL:
    takgillo
    I didn't know about the OS shoulder charge is still safe though

16. CrimsonShadow

Administrator

The laser is safe (-2), shoulder unsafe unless MB.

Juggs likes this.
  17. AK TwoOneTwo_Remy

XBL:
    SGRemy
    good to know for sure. somebody needs to make a matchup thread asap cause some characters are just consistently beating me....also they are in the hands of high level players i recognize =(

18. Parasurama

Parasurama Dragon

I don't think she should have bad mu's. Well designed... but damage is an issue...

19. JDE

JDE Doing the B12 shuffle

PSN:
    oJDEo
    XBL:
    XX JDE XX
    I'm not gonna lie. I'm actually stuck on how to approach her neutral. I like & want to learn more about her, but I'm trying to figure her out as a character before I jump into combos.

20. CrimsonShadow

Administrator

Stay midscreen distance, hit them with her extremely quick lasers any time they attempt to move, stay at the edge of their footsie range and use b12 to whiff punish, bait and punish jump-ins, use the air dash to frustrate their neutral or for crossup oki, and use MB teleport sparingly when you make a read that they're about to push a button midscreen.

Once they're respecting b12 and blocking low much of the time, start mixing in b2 1+3 to catch them with the overhead for a full combo.

She kind of reminds me of what GL was last game, but with the additional threat of TP to keep people honest at a distance. Space control and whiff punishing character.

Last edited: May 17, 2017
  21. JDE

JDE Doing the B12 shuffle

PSN:
    oJDEo
    XBL:
    XX JDE XX
    Thank you. So what about her mixups?

Edit: nevermind, I saw what you posted. Thanks. Also thank you guys for being serious in this thread & not acting like other people on day 2.

22. Supergirl does pretty much whatever she wants in the neutral based on my experience so far.

She can air dash then stance then air dash a second time then use an air laser or a teleport. its up to you.
    Always keep your opponent guessing on what you're going to do once you jump. If you ever sense they're not respecting EXtele blow them up.

Also Supergirl seems to always be meter starved. Perhaps doing DF2 and float cancels when able can help remedy this.

23. Apparently any character with a 6frame normal can punish her B12, B12xxbreath, ect string unless she decides to do something like MBtrait or MBbreath to make it safe.

This means she can't use her low string at all vs a large portion of the cast.
    Hopefully they'll fix this...

Pygmy_Potato likes this.
  24. Parasurama

Parasurama Dragon

The oh is after a mid... so can't it always be blocked?

25. Just skimming through the posts, I agree with @usedcarsalesmang, SG has amazing tools and an option pretty much anywhere on screen.

That's why her damage is so low and her setups aren't always guaranteed. If she had say Superman type damage, she'd be way OP.

usedcarsalesmang and Parasurama like this.