What's new

Strategy The Subzero tech/strat video thread

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
I am factoring in the good & bad outcomes and from the looks of everything Xray still seems like it could be a better option at times. The only time you'll be preserving your meter with ex slide is if it hits...and if the Xray hits I would say that you're generally getting your money's worth.

I don't wanna say that my opinion is absolute and don't think you should either because that gets us nowhere :/
thats not my opinion, that is facts, my interpretation of those facts is whats debatable.

what are you disagreeing with? you said its a better option at time, thats the same as im saying.

about your last sentence, youll only be getting your moneys worth if the xray hits, this can go on a loop with lotsa replies.

1 bar ex slide= 12%
3 bar xray= 36%

1 bar worth= 12% in both cases

slides useful because you can keep you meter if it hits
xray is useful because its unbreakable damage and doesnt expose you to unbreakable damage

as i think we both agree, both have their uses, xray is more situational though.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
Xray only has armor when it moves forward.
if you charge it any... then you're vulernerable. I think somberness said somewhere that SZ's xray is one of the few that is extremely hard to get the invincibility frames... because you can charge it and there are a few frames where he doesn't move forward.

So I think there are like 4 frames inbetween startup and release where he can be hit for free.

Its all risk reward.

I get what Seapeople is saying. It is all about your level of safety. xray is completely safe on block. He isn't talking about using in just retardedly tight windows (for invinc) but rather situations where, if your opponent guesses right, you could die, or loose all bars anyway.
SZ's xray is -4 and has pushback and for some reason everyone and their mother thinks they can punish it, and they can't. 90% of the time they'll dash in and eat a standing 2 or allow you to dash in and get a blockstring.

I think exSlide is fine, and there is a time and a place for the xray.

I also understand what Qwark is saying. You get more opportunites to use exSlide, so it "seems" like 99% of the time its better (because its more natural).

I'd also say that using the xray parry or to get out of pressure would heavily depend on who you're fighting. Someone I could lame out... i'd be more willing to use it, vs someone like KL or Kabal or Cyrax... who can pressure you anywhere, or kill you with one touch.
thats what im talking about, xray on startup has subzero standing still and being encased in ice, its vulnerable right then and there

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
I've used it when I know it will take the match for me, absolutely. Or if my meter disadvantage won't be too terrible after blowing it on the xray. Another situational gimmick I have used it for, is say they have no breaker and like 20-28 percent health left and I am on match point but down on life. They are turtling the crap out of me...so what does crazy beef do? I will dash block up and xray right into their block and cross up their panicked punish attempt for my own jip combo. This may seem crazy, but believe me when I say I have gotten many people with this, on and offline. I am not condoning such insanity, so do with this what you will :)
Or you can clone after the xray on block and watch people jump into it like dumbasses. lol

I've done that and what you described. Hell, last night vs Mr. Mileena... I was tired of dashing and D3ing fans, so I just threw the xray out and rammed through a fan and was right there for pressure. lol

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
ex slide on hit= 11%, bars preserved

ex slide on block= all bars lost or vulnerable to unbreakable dmg

xray on hit= 33% unbreakable, all bars lost

xray on block= out of pressure all bars, lost
Just going by your own assessment here...

Xray sounds better to me. Even if you only get out of pressure... at least you aren't set up for unbreakable damage.

You ain't Swag-Zero until you've done that NJP midscreen uppercut X-Ray combo I posted a while back.

That's about as swag as Sub gets, period.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
Just going by your own assessment here...

Xray sounds better to me. Even if you only get out of pressure... at least you aren't set up for unbreakable damage.
by the time unbreakable damage seems threatening to you you probably would xray anyways

You know what? I may seriously attempt this during Final Round, next weekend. lol
I keep imagining going for the other (NJP, Ice Ball, full dash, Backwards uppercut, D4~Slide) version as an anti-breaker strategy, getting Toasty Boost on the uppercut and ending the combo with X-Ray instead to finish a match. That would be the hypest thing evarrrrrr.

In all seriousness, if you're a Sub player that utilizes NJP in your game, I found out that NJP into straight Ice Ball is the best thing you can possibly do. Why you ask? Because you can choose your positional advantage and still combo for decent damage before the other person can break.

NJP, Ice Ball, B12, 212~Slide - 27% with the highest possible off a NJP that I know of being 31% by not Ice Ballin' and throwing in a standing 1 before B12. I never went with the standing 1 anyway, which without that was 29%.

NJP, Ice Ball, 2 FULL DASHES, B12, 212~Slide - Still 27% and combos in the opposite direction than you started.

Then of course you have the backwards uppercut version into an X-Ray as an anti-breaker strategy. If you use a full dash in the standard combo, it becomes a mind game. The opponent will not be able to tell if you're going for dash into B12, 2 dashes into B12 or the uppercut. You run the risk of dropping the standard B12 though, if they're too high and you don't realize it.