What's new

The state of stickless controllers (HitBox) regarding legality in the FGC.

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous

So as many of you know ComboBreaker banned Daigo's custom hitbox, he calls a GafroBox.

Basically it is a HitBox with a bunch of extra buttons that add other ways to input things. Like there is a standard hitbox style movement, but there is also other stuff like two other left and right movement buttons near the side of the stick that can be "slapped" for ultra fast dash inputs in the middle of your combo strings. (Think of playing a slap base!).

Also, no one seems to know exactly how his box handled double inputs, there seems to be a lot of contradicting information (including HitBox's statement). A HitBox handles simultaneous movement directions by zeroing them out when opposing movements are pressed. So pressing and holding right and then pressing left equal nothing being pressed.... while Daigo's one apparently allowed double opposing inputs. The MixBox has a switch to turn it on or off btw. The problem with this is that it can lead to craziness like being able to walk forward while throwing sonic booms.

Here is an old video of him going over the prototype, I think there are some changes to this by the time CB came around.​

Anyway... here is HitBox's official response...
https://www.hitboxarcade.com/blogs/news/controllers-state-of-hit-box

Capcom BTW just passed the buck.. they basically said they will respect the locals concerning controller legality. This is pretty weak response imo, but it could be just a stalling tactic while they decide what to do.

HitBox as you know from day one has gotten a lot of controversy.. "cheatBox" they have been called. SMASH if I remember right (I do not follow that sceen) has completely banned them. This new ban has reopened that wound just as the HitBox was starting to get much more accepted, kinda like when Snowboards hit the slopes.

Anyway, this entire thing could lead to a scene wide ban at capcom, and possible the FGC....

Here is the guys testing and practising on it and blowing himself away with what it can do.​

Last edited:

xenogorgeous

.... they mostly come at night. Mostly.
need some serious technical auditorship on this, in order to prove by evidences, if this is some cheat device or just fuck up paranoia from the FGC major tourneys organizers ..... :(

Jynks

I think that people are really looking at this all wrong. I think that these crazy sticks that reduce the gap between the brain and the game actions should be the future of the FGC.. I mean think of a hitbox that is designed to not emulate a stick or pad, but be something new.. designed just to make inputs as easy to execute as possible. It could lead to all sorts of interesting possibilities for the FGC .. like truly skill-based play, and allowing devs to create much more complex and situational buttons.

DeftMonk

Noob
I think that people are really looking at this all wrong. I think that these crazy sticks that reduce the gap between the brain and the game actions should be the future of the FGC.. I mean think of a hitbox that is designed to not emulate a stick or pad, but be something new.. designed just to make inputs as easy to execute as possible. It could lead to all sorts of interesting possibilities for the FGC .. like truly skill-based play, and allowing devs to create much more complex and situational buttons.
I’m assuming you didn’t watch the part of the video where daigo said his box can input two directions simultaneously allowing walking forward with guile while charging sonic booms

Jynks

sure I did... that is why i mention it in the OP... but that has nothing to do with what I was saying. I was speaking to a completely different point.