What's new

Match-up Discussion The Smoke MU

Dizzy

False Information Police Officer
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
I'm surprised no one has said it so far but 214 clone and 224 clone are punishable by smoke bomb.

Either way its definitely smokes advantage. By how much, we will probably never know.

Wildabeast

The Bat in the Hat
I seem to remember thinking this matchup wasn't that bad at all back when I mained Sub, but then again the smokes I was playing were letting me get away with a lot of stuff they should not have.

Its unquestionably advantage Smoke though, pretty much your best shot is to catch him throwing a bad Smoke bomb or Smoke away and then turtle the fuck out of him or let him back himself in the corner. If he gets the life lead first you're more or less fucked.

RiBBz22

TYM's Confirmed Prophet/Time-Traveler
Probably 7-3 Smoke everywhere on the screen but the corner. Sub has to work hard to get Smoke to corner himself because that is the only spot he has the advantage. Regardless of the number you put on it it is a bad MU for Sub.

Wildabeast

The Bat in the Hat
Seriously, let's just go back to a point that Charlie made earlier. Kung Lao's a 7-3. Is fighting Smoke as challenging as Kung Lao? In my experience, no, it's not. Not by a mile. By extension, how can this MU be a 7-3 or higher?
Kung Lao is a 6-4 not a 7-3. At neutral frames Kung Lao has no way to safely challenge Sub's D4 even at point blank range and if Sub gets the life lead its harder for Lao to get it back than most people realize.

Clone takes away Lao's whiffed Dive Kicks, his roll, and F2. That leaves him with risky teleports and good old fashioned footsies as far as getting in on Sub. At full screen low hats are a decent zonning tool against Sub but Ice ball and Ice beam trade pretty well with them so he can't just abuse it.

It is advantage Lao, the Sub player has to make better reads and generally has to know the nuances of the matchup better than the Lao player does and of course Lao doesn't give a crap about the corner but its not as bad as many people like to believe.

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
Kung Lao is a 6-4 not a 7-3. At neutral frames Kung Lao has no way to safely challenge Sub's D4 even at point blank range and if Sub gets the life lead its harder for Lao to get it back than most people realize.

Clone takes away Lao's whiffed Dive Kicks, his roll, and F2. That leaves him with risky teleports and good old fashioned footsies as far as getting in on Sub. At full screen low hats are a decent zonning tool against Sub but Ice ball and Ice beam trade pretty well with them so he can't just abuse it.

It is advantage Lao, the Sub player has to make better reads and generally has to know the nuances of the matchup better than the Lao player does and of course Lao doesn't give a crap about the corner but its not as bad as many people like to believe.
Kung lao rapes SZ
especially of the bird variety.

Everyone beats SZ 7-3. just accept it.