What's new

The Slips and Hippo Show Ep. 12 - The One About The Stress Test and Castlevania

KingHippo

Alternative-Fact Checker
The @Slips and Hippo show has survived the MK11 Stress Test weekend, and we have some takes to give! Join Slips and I as we talk some shop, look at the most recent Kombat Kast, and then do a huge dive into our impressions about MK11 that we got from the Stress Test, and what we're looking forward to for the beta next week. Also, lots of Castlevania talk, if you're of the vampire hunting variety! Remember, we're on iTunes, Google Play, and Stitcher as well, in addition to the RSS link below. Great show as always, so check it out!

https://slipsandhipposhow.podbean.com/e/the-slips-and-hippo-show-ep-12-the-one-about-the-stress-test-and-castlevania/

Timestamps:

00:00:00 - 00:16:49 (Talkin' shop, Konami Classic Collection talk)

00:16:50 - 00:28:45 (Kombat Kast recap)

00:28:46 - 01:44:04 (MK11 Stress Test impressions)

01:44:05 - 01:51:50 (More Castlevania talk)

01:51:51 - 01:52:17 (Wrap-up)

Baconlord

Proud follower of the church of Cetrion
Alright cut the crap guys. We all know claiming that this is an nrs podcast is all just a front so you guys can put your castelvania podcasts on tym

TheGabStandard

The anticipation is killing me
Great episode guys as always. Your talk on Castlevania intrigued me. As someone who has never played them I wanted to ask which ones would you recommend to play first?

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
Great stuff. When a Castlevania character gets revealed as DLC everything will come full circle.

Slips

Feared by dragons. Desired by virgins.
Great episode guys as always. Your talk on Castlevania intrigued me. As someone who has never played them I wanted to ask which ones would you recommend to play first?
Honestly the first Castlevania (nes version) holds up well if you've got the guile for it. They progress very well and the real question is which ones do you skip. Symphony of the Night is considered the best but part of the reason for that is it's tributes to the classic Castlevania's before it.

I'd recommend an order of:
Castlevania
Castlevania III
Bloodlines
Super Castlevania IV
Rondo of Blood
Symphony of the Night

And then the rest of the Metroidvania's in order after that.

KingHippo

Alternative-Fact Checker
I think just Castlevania 1 is a great starting place. It'll introduce you to the tropes of CV and provide a short but satisfying challenge.

After that I'd recommend scooping up the collection that was recently released that has Rondo of Blood and Symphony of the Night. You'll get to play a traditional Castlevania where you don't feel like you have lead in your ass, then play the start of the more open, exploring type with Symphony.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Will be on a plane in a couple hours, so will listen to this podcast then! Glad y’all are keeping this going, I feel this podcast will blowup once MK11 arrives.

Castlevania is fucking awesome and one of my favorite series of all time. I hope Bloodstained can carry it forward, spiritually speaking.

JagoMIH

Noob
Castlevania Bloodlines is one of my favorite games, John Morris is such a badass. I've played it thousands of times. I also got @Check into it, now it's one of his favorite games. It's one of the CVs I've beat without dying once, along with Castlevania Chronicles. The graphics, gameplay, music, are all great. It's only 6 stages, but they're packed with fun and replay-ability. It's one of those games you can quickly pop in, and play through in about a couple hours.

ChatterBox

Searching for an alt.
The Heart of Fire version in Aria of sorrow might be my favorite Castlevania song. It's rad.

I couldn't figure out during the stress test if you got better frames for Flawless Block. But it does give you the option to reversal U2/U3 and those certainly seemed to come out quicker than any other special move some right away. Maybe it's my old man reactions being the problem though. Hoping to nail it down during the beta.

Slips

Feared by dragons. Desired by virgins.
The Heart of Fire version in Aria of sorrow might be my favorite Castlevania song. It's rad.
Dude that song is ridiculous. The first half is badass in it's own right and then it cuts to Castlevania 1 Grim Reaper stage song? Mmmmmm so good