What's new

Guide - Goro The Simple Life Series: Dragon Fangs Goro

Should I do this series for other characters?

• Yes, variety is the spice of life!

Votes: 10 76.9%
  • No, stick to punchwalking!

Votes: 3 23.1%

• Total voters

Espio

Kokomo
The Simple Life: Goro Edition

The Simple Life Series is all about learning a character in a unique, outside the box way that focuses on learning what matters and not worrying about what doesn't. Instead of merely explaining combos or frame data, I seek to teach players bad habits to avoid and not to be overly reliant on gimmicks and instead embrace a more layered, strategic play style that is not only rewarding and simplified, but also most importantly, fun and viable competitively.

This Guide is intended to have something for everyone whether you're an experienced Goro player or a new player trying to catch up on the current meta.

So without further adieu, kick back, relax and enjoy the Simple Life <3.

Introduction

Refinement

Normals/Specials

Play Style

Counter Measures

Combo Theory

Post Block Meta Game

Editor's Note: The link below is to my previous Tigrar Fury guide. Most of what I say in this Simple Life Series can be applied to Tigrar Fury as well so it's not like any particular variation is missing out on this content. You can also take a look at a full breakdown of Goro's strings and specials in text based form for those who are curious.

Also included is my "Why Dragon Fangs is Awesome!" thread that discusses a lot of Dragon Fangs Goro's tools in text based form.

http://testyourmight.com/threads/espios-tigrar-fury-guide-version-4-5.55306/

http://testyourmight.com/threads/why-dragon-fangs-is-awesome.57476/

Thanks you for taking a journey through the simple life. If you have any questions, comments or concerns, please feel free to share here, on YouTube or Twitch. Be sure to like, subscribe/follow for more content. I also use Kitana, Cage and play a variety of other games such as The Last of us and Dark Souls 3.

My twitch is: https://www.twitch.tv/espio872

My YouTube is: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-eFve8YfAEeiYbtc3PLisw

Peace & Love <3.

Last edited by a moderator:

TamedLizard

Buff George
DAMN THAT FAN ART THO.

I like the layout of this a lot and would enjoy seeing it done for other characters.

Very neat, to the point, and easy to locate anything of specific interest.

Bang up job m8!

DDutchguy

Stand 4'ing airplanes out of the sky
Just went through all the videos, really really good guide on Dragon Fangs. The post-block options are arguably the most important thing to include in a Goro guide and you covered them very well. Listed BnBs were solid, you made it clear what Goro is supposed to play like (all about conditioning and footsies) and the videos in general were quite good.

However, there was one big thing that you didn't cover and that is the Dragon Fangs corner combos. The general BnBs work quite well and do decent damage on their own, but it's very important to note that Dragon Fangs has combos that can give you like high 40s to 50% damage in the corner. They honestly don't seem that hard execution-wise and can enhance Goro's corner game very greatly. He's all about making opponents behave a certain way and with these high-damaging corner combos, you can really capitalize on that.

Toodrunk2combo

Sub and kotal FTW
I haven't finished all the videos yet, but it's great so far. I haven't played goro since before kp1. He looks a bit faster overall. I'm gonna watch these and probably start playing him again.

Solomon Gorondy

Should Goro be top 5?
Great Guide by a great Goro. It's very interesting hearing another Shokan opinion. I think you should address the cons of his moves as apposed to just focusing on the positive aspects. Up1, for example, will cause a Stomp if you use it too quickly after pressing down which basically robs you of your ability to successfully anti-air in some situations. If an opponent backdashes the B3, Goro can get punished by some characters. His 3D3 overhead can also be backdashed and punished. This means his core 50/50 is weaker than say Cuthroat Kano who advances forward to force them to block after the backdash instead of allowing them to press buttons.

Last edited:

Alright RyRy

Florida Kombat
You could of just included my guide for the combo section. (If they want to know how to maximize the damage)

Good guide, but it really bothers me when people make guides that do not include the max potential for a characters damage. Doesn't matter how you include it, just have it there. This is my personal opinion please @Espio do not take this to heart. This is a personal gripe of mine about all guides. Not just Goro, any character guide.

I watched @Destroy_Scvm lose to tyrant in the second game because he was not maximizing the damage with Goro when he could be. @ARMOR is another Goro player I watch and cringe inside because they do not maximize the damage, not sure why they don't maybe they don't practice the combos or feel landing the consistent combo for 5-10% less is better.

The Goro community needs more players, simple as that. A guide helps people learn that character. All I ask is if someone makes a guide for any character please include the "expert level" combos. Do not limit the person watching / listening to a combo that may lose them the game simply because they didn't know a more damaging one exists.

Espio if you would like to include it you are more than welcome to.
http://testyourmight.com/threads/complete-guide-to-dragon-fangs-goro.59785/