What's new

The Shaolin Project

This will simply be a project log on my first custom stick build. I've recently completed a MK hitbox layout that I am pleased with but wanted a more universal arcade still layout still dedicated to MK. With the help of Blklightning from the SRK forums and his metal works. Johnny2D from the TYM forums and his fantastic art skill. And my wood/wiring work I hope to come up with a nice finished product. Of course I have to give a shout out to Kleners who got me into the world of stick building and modding. I am sure at some points I will screw something up and have to call him. Without further delay here is the progress.

This is the piece of walnut I started with.

Initial cut in half and routed.

Very rough framed.

A coat or two of clear.

The steel plate made by Blklightning. Has matching plexi.

Comments, suggestions welcome!

Johnny2d

Xbl: Johnny2Die
Looks nice so far. I'll be adding my stuff this week. I have to admit that I am jealous, my hitbox turned out great but its a bit large and heavy. Yours looks like a great size and the metal plate looks good too.

Update. Got the bottom and front pieces mounted. Also found a decent way to mount the plate with the ability to remove it later for repairs/extra mods.

I have not found a clever way of mounting the pcb. The problem I keep running into is the bottom is not really strong or thick enough for me to mount it. And I cant have screws sticking out the bottom. If anyone has any good idea please share.

And here is the current state of the progress. I have yet to decide if I am going to be placing the artwork in the buttons.

Johnny2d

Oh man, I wish I was getting a box like that, that looks great so far. I'm posting your "Re-drawn" logo here. Its basically the same as the one you had before but I had to retrace it to upres it. Keep this file somewhere for future projects, having a sharp black and white version of your logo will make any of your future projects much easier.

Johnny2d

Btw I'm open for collaborative projects for everyone, I'm a professional animator and design instructor so hit me up... as long as the project is mutually beneficial. In this case I am trading the art for Kollector edition bookends, THANKS RAY!

Johnny2d

Here's another graphic that I made that borrows elements from the pdp design, and of course Lao's hat ;) This is another one that you might want to archive if you want to use it for other things later.

Johnny2d

I'm calling this done. Let me know what you think. I'm including the pics for this thread and I'll also post the direct links for my imgur page so you can grab them from there if you would like. The first one is the fished image, the second shows how it will fit with your buttons, the third is the one you should take to your printer (its 11x17 so there will be no scaling required by you or your printer, just have them print a full 11x17 page, use good paper of course, and then cut it yourself).

And here are the links:
http://i.imgur.com/ZQzbK.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/N2MsJ.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/WoNSM.jpg

Let me know if I can change/ add anything. I'll email you my address so you can send the bookends. I can't wait to see your progress on the final stick!!!

axeman87

Noob
Nice! I Like the art Johnny2d. Not so much the render placement (just not my thing), but the border, hat, text and shading is nice! You given me an idea for a new Scorpion one I'm building ATM.

SirRaymond, what about using nut&bolt for the PCB with the bolt facing up and the nut on the PCB? Get some counter sunk bolts and they'll mostly sit flush with the bottom plate.

Love both of your idea for mounting. I may try the mounting plate. Because if the wiring turns out good. I may change the bottom to a plexi bottom for viewing pleasure. After staring at the art for a while I see what you you mean Axe. Lao doesn't look like he belongs in the picture naturally. As good as Johnny is I am confident the final product will look great. Maybe make him a little more subtle? What do you think?

After 4 days of coating/sanding. The final finish was complete. That was until I was crazy gluing the four corner nuts into the corners and got dabs of glue on the side of the box. :mad: Back to sanding and coating. The LEDs came in and just test fitting them I managed to break a wire off already. I am just not gonna touch anything until I get the artwork printed and cut and that should be Tuesday.

Johnny2d

Revisions make the world go round;)

This one has more of a 'blood red' texture, I've added an mk dragon on the right so there is some shape and texture that can be put into the buttons, I've painted over removed some saturation and textured Kung Lao so he is more married to the back ground. Remember that your buttons and stick are going in here, so don't think that the empty space needs to all be filled up, its hard designing for a stick for this reason... you need to leave some negative space otherwise there is just too much going on, thats why I left the dragon kind of ghosted in there, it should look awesome through your buttons!

And here is the file for you to print, just have them print 11x17 so they aren't re-scaling anything, cut it yourself. Use high quality paper of course. Images print darker than computer screens because ink is a pigment and your screen is light, so just know that the image will change a little:

Sorry for the lack of update. The project is kind of in limbo while waiting on the widget board to get here. Also still fine tuning the artwork for it.