What's new

Video The Science of MKX - Video Series from Mustard & Ketchup

PND_Ketchup

"More deadly than the dawn"
Hey guys! Mustard and I have decided to start a new series of videos for MKX, streamlined and short tutorials for every individual aspect of the game at a high level.

of course these videos will be more aimed towards the casual player looking to get better, but I thought I'd make a thread for all these videos to go in, similar to our old Casual to Competitive series we did in ESL Season 1.

Our first video covers the basics of understanding Frame Data. Check it out below!

Attachments

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
nice project, teching casuals is always fun, the best part is when you progress in them, and the invredible satisfaction when they get far on a tournament or just beat someone more level headed than them, its awesome.

RyuKazuya

Jesus is my Lord and Savior!
this is an amazing tutorial. It explains everything a newcommer needs to know about frames. Good job guys

Solignac

Noob
Looking forward to seeing how you guys breakdown the more complicated aspects of frame data in the future, this is great

STB Damashi

SmallBurntEarths
Mustard should come out on more videos. He rarely participates :/ Looking forward to your guys' stuff though, will you guys go into the psychological aspect of MKX? Such as staggering strings, delaying attacks, purposely whiffing a throw or command grab knowing one will still be plus enough to utilize a fast attck, beginning a string that leads to an overhead and stopping mid string to go in for a low (like Liu's Standing 1, stop, then start with F44), ending a string with a minus attack then immediately armoring for their counter poke, stuff like that?

Last edited:

PND_Ketchup

"More deadly than the dawn"
At this point, it appears that the three leading distinguished professors in AMKS (Advanced Mortal Kombat Studies) are Professor Ketchup, Professor Mustard, and Professor Reo. Imagine taking that class in college, would be ultra legendary.
Reo is godlike, if he did tutorials etc they would be incredible.

Gofer_MK_

Banned
Hey guys!

Mustard and I have decided to start a new series of videos for MKX, streamlined and short tutorials for every individual aspect of the game at a high level.

of course these videos will be more aimed towards the casual player looking to get better, but I thought I'd make a thread for all these videos to go in, similar to our old Casual to Competitive series we did in ESL Season 1.

Our first video covers the basics of understanding Frame Data. Check it out!
Can you tell my why for example Start Up Frames differ on moves that start with the same buttons? Kano's 1,1 has 8 Start Up and 1,1,2 has 14 Start Up, what does that mean?

PND_Mustard

"More stealthful than the night"
Premium Supporter
Mustard should come out on more videos. He rarely participates :/ Looking forward to your guys' stuff though, will you guys go into the psychological aspect of MKX? Such as staggering strings, delaying attacks, purposely whiffing a throw or command grab knowing one will still be plus enough to utilize a fast attck, beginning a string that leads to an overhead and stopping mid string to go in for a low (like Liu's Standing 1, stop, then start with F44), ending a string with a minus attack then immediately armoring for their counter poke, stuff like that?
I wouldn't say being involved with probably about 70% of the overall content is rarely lol.

Noob
Can you tell my why for example Start Up Frames differ on moves that start with the same buttons? Kano's 1,1 has 8 Start Up and 1,1,2 has 14 Start Up, what does that mean?
I read in another thread its for the next input or something.

So 1,1 the 8 refers to the second 1. 1,1,2, 14 refers to the 2. Could be wrong, would like insight on this to.

Kamikaze_Highlander

PSN: Windude008
it is the start up of the next move, not sure what 1 start up is, but it will take 8 frames after the first 1 for the second to come out, then 14 frames for the 2 after the second 1.

I believe...

Kamikaze_Highlander

I wouldn't say being involved with probably about 70% of the overall content is rarely lol.
I've never doubted you've had a hand in the content, it just seems like Ketchup is the one who's usually narrating.

Unrelated question for you. Way back when you did a ranked set with Lackey Ferra/Torr, have you tried out Ruthless since the last patch? PnG cancels made a huge difference.

Kamikaze_Highlander

The problem is that there's just too many errors in the in-game frame data to fully trust it. You should have mentioned also how to test it yourself.
This so fucking much!!! Just to give you guys the info on how to test. Set ai to always block and movement to jump. After whatever you are testing hold jump, and you can see how much advantage they have by how much sooner they jump before you.