What's new

Tech The Reptile Community's Collective Tech Thread

Seapeople

This one's for you
There's a lot of really great Reptile tech buried throughout this forum. I thought it might be good to compile as much of it as possible into one thread for easy access, especially to help players who are new to the lizard. If I missed any tech that you think should be included please let me know and I'll get it fixed. So here we go!

First up THTB brings us an in depth tutorial of Reptile's fundamentals, what you should expect from him and how to deal with it.

Next is the ghetto reset made infamous by TylerLantern. The basic idea is to end your combo with 32~elbow dash into a quick crossover jump in punch. It is a bit of a shenanigan, but can still be very effective when used to catch an opponent off guard at unexpected moments.

RapZiLLa54 came up with a twist to the ghetto reset to be used on the right side corner of any stage. This set up doesn't work on the left corner because of some strange corner properties. Anyway, the video basically explains itself. This is another shenanigan to be used sparingly when your opponent isn't expecting it. Enjoy the Rapzilla special.

Here's a video by XBL Mind Gamez showing how Reptile can make a lot of wakeup attacks whiff by ending your combo with ex slide. In general this may not be the best use of meter, but it is definitely a good set up to be aware of.
Original thread found here with a more detailed explanation:
http://testyourmight.com/threads/new-stuff-with-the-lizard.17770/

Showtime found a way for Reptile to end his combos with a reset (2f31+2) that gives him 7% unscaled combo damage if not blocked. If the opponent does block, Reptile will be at +8 frame advantage.
Here RapZiLLa54 and THTB have found a combo that allows you to get a d4 or 321 blockstring after the reset that cannot be escaped by jumping or poking...it can only be escaped with armor. If you want to use the reset this should be your go-to combo.
http://testyourmight.com/threads/reset-discovery.15537/

Occasionally you'll happen to anti air your opponent with 321 while pressuring them. This is especially common after using ex elbow dash or the reset. Treadmill shows how to make the most out of this situation.

UsedForGlue shows how you can incorporate invisibility in the middle of a combo for 1 bar of meter and good damage.

Expanding on invisibility combos, Seapeople shows some situations where you can go invisible without needing to spend meter on the combo. This video also includes combos to carry the opponent closer to the corner, a reverse uppercut combo ender, and a reset combo designed specifically for the right corner of every stage. (The reset generally doesn't work on the right side corner).

XxXAntiJoshXxX has laid out a really organized thread that demonstrates several of your options when ending combos with Reptile's meatiest knockdown aka the NJP splat.

Seapeople explains some set ups that utilize the NJP splat in the corner. These set ups give you the potential for invisibility mixups, OTGs, or full screen zoning.
http://testyourmight.com/threads/creating-a-new-corner-set-up.23541/

RapZiLLa54 brings some more stuff to the table, this time focusing on Reptile's pressure options that can potentially launch your opponent onto an ex slow forceball.
http://testyourmight.com/threads/new-reptile-tech.12905/

*More videos included in the thread.

Scoot Magee shows how Reptile can throw his opponent onto a forceball and then continue the combo. Joker8417 helps make this idea a little more practical by combining it with Rapzilla's ex slow forceball set ups.

Next up Wonder_Chef shows some Reptile tactics he's come up with. He includes Reptile's most damaging practical midscreen combo, some anti wakeup set ups by elbow dashing through the opponent, a few BnB combos off a raw acid hand in the corner, and more.

REO explains a way to make Reptile's spacing even more dangerous by phasing through your opponent's hitbox by doing a regular dash after a whiffed elbow dash. He calls it "ghost dashing" and it can be set up after a blocked forceball, to reverse positions in the corner, etc. There's still a lot to be explored with this tech.

One thing every Reptile player should keep in the back of their mind at all times is his Toasty Boost inputs which are DBF3. In case you aren't already aware of this, a toasty boost will occur if you use these inputs after Dan Forden comes on screen and says "toasty!", and you will receive 3 full bars of meter as a reward. Reptile's Toasty Boost was discovered by Check and JAP
Complete list of Toasty Boosts found here with a more detailed explanation:
http://www.testyourmight.com/threads/toasty-boost-list-is-complete-grab-your-boost-today.25684/

Showtime

Reptile/Sonya
You guys are welcome for the showtime reset, I see the 2f31+2 used a lot, on block throw and ex dash work alot

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Seapeople

This one's for you
You guys are welcome for the showtime reset, I see the 2f31+2 used a lot, on block throw and ex dash work alot

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
I should add you to the credits, my bad.
I don't really use ex dash after the reset anymore since a blockstring is guaranteed

dribirut

BLAK FELOW
You're +8, 321 or d4 can only be escaped with armor if you exclude the slowball from your combo. There's even a video here that proves it :confused:
I do it all the time offline.
what video?? and yea but youre too far away and is only guaranteed if the opp is standing..

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
what video?? and yea but youre too far away and is only guaranteed if the opp is standing..
If you do the combo above, you're close enough, but I wouldn't rely on the reset in general. You don't know if they'll block or take the hit.

Seapeople

This one's for you
If you do the combo above, you're close enough, but I wouldn't rely on the reset in general. You don't know if they'll block or take the hit.
I still use the reset like crazy against some characters. Worst case scenario is they take the hit and I whiff an attack before being able to react. That still gives me enough time to put a forceball or other options on the screen plus the 7% extra damage.
I can definitely see where you're coming from though. Different strokes for different folks

Rude

You will serve me in The Netherrealm
Just wanted to say that this is a great thread.

Question: What would Reptile's best combo enders be, based on the Rep community's opinion?

Cossner

King of the Jobbers 2015
Administrator

Question: What would Reptile's best combo enders be, based on the Rep community's opinion?
2f3,1+2
321 invis to ED pressure or projectiles
mickey mouse jump (32 to ed to cross up)
njp to exsfb.

Seapeople

This one's for you

There are honestly so many options that it can be hard to decide. Imho, two of the biggest factors are the character you're playing against and the gravity scaling of your bnb combo.
Cossner named some really good ones. Here's some others I've found to be potentially useful.
321~forceball
321~elbow dash into invisibility
321~triple dash
njp, invisibility/regular forceballs
njp, double elbow dash
njp, double elbow dash into crossover jip (basically the "mickey mouse jump" after a njp)
Reverse uppercut, elbow dash followed by d4
2~invisibility, elbow dash

...And that's just midscreen :)

dribirut

BLAK FELOW
imo 321 sfb overall is much better than any other finisher. Easy to bait teleport wakeups like kl, cyrax, etc and almost guaranteed pressure

RapZiLLa54

Monster Island Tournaments
Great thread but why aren't my ex slow ball slide reset, splat set up and splat setup revisited in here?