What's new

Video/Tutorial - Grandmaster The Release SubZero guide

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
So, after having the game for a week before release, I've logged in a lot of hours with Subzero. I've found him to be an extremely solid character, possessing a good projectile, a very fast slide, great footsie tools and pokes and more.

His variations are as follows...

Cryomancer, gains the ice hammer, the F122 string and a dagger stab ender for F42 1+3
Grandmaster, gains the ice clone and the ability to detonate it
Unbreakable, gains the ice aura and the parry

Each of these variations is very useful in some way.

Grandmaster is a trap based variation, having extremely solid defense while gaining incredible offense in the corner.

Cryomancer is what I want to call a more offensive but not neccesarily more rushdown variation. The hammer itself gives you additional combo opportunities but is unfortunately too slow to use as a mixup considering the normal version has 33 frames of startup and EX 23. The importance of this variation lies in the EX hammer. Since it is a -8 armoured launcher that pushes back, I know for a fact some characters in the game must hold that and compromise for post-block pressure, if that. You will be able to use this as a legitimately threatening wakeup.

Unbreakable is based all around nullifying a zoner's tools. While this variation may seem ideal to rush down a zoner, there are a lot more uses. The ice aura is great to get in while definitely worth meter burning once you start getting closer. A great perk is that you can end a combo into ice aura and still retain pressure on wakeup.

But how do all these synergize with Subzero's universal tools? These variations seem pretty straightforward when it comes to choice regarding the matchup and I'll list my thoughts on them.
The main synergistic aspect of Subzero I find to be combos. Subzero has EXCELLENT wallcarry, with a single punish starting with your back in the corner pushing the opponent 3/4 of the way in the opposite corner.

What does this mean? Well, you're going to have to choose between, in my opinion, the grandmaster and unbreakable variation, which will be the main ones used against zoning type characters. The reason for that is, do you want an easier time getting and end up pushing your backwards-going opponent in the corner with one combo while ending up without a clone to destroy him in there? Or would you like to nullify the opponent's projectiles as best as you can with patient play, guaranteeing a much easier entry? I think this part is not only matchup-specific, but also plays to the strengths of the player. Personally, I love control and therefore would prefer absolute control over the game's pace in the inescapably approaching instead of a more footsie based approach.

A thing that needs to be stated, Grandmaster is not an absolute "lame out" variation. Unbreakable can abuse weak up-close zoners via nullifying all chip and staying at a fair distance away with a lifelead while reacting to incorrectly placed projectiles with a low profile slide.

Zoners in this game don't seem the projectile "spammy" type. This game looks fast, setup oriented and zoners must apparently earn the right to throw their projectiles by mixing you up with their footsie tools, run, throws etc.

Then we move on to specials. Here's an in-depth rundown of his special attacks.

Slide - Great tool, 8 frames of startup, fast travelling, not bad at all on whiff.
Slide low profiles most projectiles and punishes them on reaction with some damage and a hard knockdown. Low recovery frames on whiff mean that you likely won't be punished if you do it too late or maybe you can even be +. 8f and fast means you can punish stuff most other chars cannot.
EX - One hit of armour, even faster travel time.

Iceball - Standard iceball, slightly faster in startup and recovery than in MK
EX - Destroys projectiles on impact, does NOT go through projectile nullifying moves itself e.g doesn't go through clone. -7 on block with great pushback. Removes some of juggle scaling a la MK9.

Clone - Much improved over the MK9 version, a move that inspires fear and defies footsies. Even better. The clone eliminates problems Subzero had in MK9 due to bad placement like you putting up a clone while Kitana throws out a fan, you get hit out of the clone once it's out etc. But not all.
Armouring through unsafe cancels into clone is still a thing and an active mixup when Subzero is on top of you. Hitbox and hurtbox problems have been alleviated. In MK9, you could do a clone in neutral and be hit out of it if someone happened to throw out a move when SZ's hurtbox was in front of the clone
on startup. Clone is now 7f and the startup animation makes SZ lean back while the clone appears where he used to be. This means you are much safer during the startup. On top of all these, the hitbox has been improve from the torso and up. 7F startup

EX - Lasts longer, comes out faster and + on block. Not sure how to take advantage of the + yet. Spending a bar is good to make the clone cancel safe from F42.

Clone Throw - Pretty good, 27f startup, 12% damage on hit, 2.50% on block and +2. Subzero always lacked chip in the projectile/zoning war. This is good for chip, basically a medium startup fireball that does solid damage, chips good and catches jumpers. VERY good in the corner since you can do strings into clone throw to put yourself at +2, which might look like mediocre due to the backdash system, it's the corner. That's where you're going to use it.

Clone detonate - Currently meh. 22f startup. Safe from a distance, unsafe up close at about -10/12. It cannot detonate a clone that is further than sweep distance away and the chunks of ice have a jump distance range. This means that you can't lay a clone, chill back and detonate just before it melts.

EX - 14f startup, can be used as an anticrossup for a full combo punish. Armoured.

Ice hammer - 35f startup, -9 on block. Can be used as a combo ender, not much use.

EX - 27f startup, -8 on block. This is where Cryomancer will shine IMO. This version of the ice hammer juggles and is armoured with good pushback at -8. There will be some characters who can only punish with low damage, others that can only poke, and some that cannot do anything at all about you throwing out this armoured launcher. Sole reason why you would use Cryomancer over the other variations as of right now.

Air hammer - 23F startup, -7 on block, decent pushback, +4 on hit. Can cancel unsafe divekicks into it and change your air trajectory. Seems to be the only use as of right now.

Frozen aura - 0f startup, 31f recovery. Meaning that if you do this move, the aura is instant and you can be punished during the recovery. Lasts 10 seconds, no cooldown. One of his best specials.

EX - Same frame data, lowers damage taken. Second best special after Ice clone

Barrier of Frost - 5F startup, 33 active, 35 recovery. A parry that parries overheads and lows. Will not parry certain special attacks and jumps.

EX - 2F and 3 more actives. It being 2f is a great buff

Next section, normals.

His string are

111 ( C )
B12
F1
F122 ( C )
F33
B33D4
F421+3 ( C ) ( G/U)

( C ) Is Cryomancer only.

His notable strings are as follows.

11 - Your 6F punish that links into iceball
F42 - Main footsie tool, 11f startup. Cryomancer ender is a dagger stab that does good damage, other variations end with a much less damaging side-switching throw. Wouldn't advise it as your go-to ender if you don't play Cryo. ( C ) Leaves you within D4 range at 0, neutral, with the opponent standing.
F33 - 8f mid with a low on the second hit. HC this into EX iceball/hammer. 8f hitconfirmable mid is great.
B33 - Your low string.
B12 - Your hitconfirmable string off of jump ins and most damaging string into iceball, this string will combo into any possible special and can be used in Unbreakable off of a jump in to cancel into frozen/ice aura and have your opponent next to you with you being at +10.
F12 ( C ) - Your only 0 on block string ( C ), your main setup string in the corner ( G ).

His notable normals are as follows.

F4 - The reason you would use this alone instead of F42 is its cancel advantage. F4 is the only normal that can safely cancel into clone and ice aura.

F3 - 8F mid

B2 - 16f overhead, -12 on block. Can combo from everywhere on the screen, main normal used for max damage combos.

D1 - 8F and -3 on block

D3 - 8F and 0 on block

D4 - 8F and -5 on block

Unfortunately, he doesn't have any 6f or even 7f pokes.

Worth noting that D4 ~ clone is a solid tool to force someone into the corner since Subzero extends himself in the D4 animation, causing the clone to appear farther than his original position, appearing as if it was a kara clone.

CLONE SETUPS

Clone is extremely effective in your mixup potential. When it comes to the corner, you can effectively use your 50-50s once you've put up a clone. B2 is your overhead option that nets you a solid 26-42% depending on variation. B33 is your go-to low. Normally, iceball doesn't combo into B33 and that is purely due to pushback midscreen which doesn't exist in the corner, therefore it combos. It's best if you time it just before the clone breaks so you can hitconfirm into iceball on hit and clone on block. B2 is always safe.

Now, there's a way to position your clone in the corner so that it freezes the opponent as soon as they hit air for a juggle e.g slide, b2, 123 etc. This type of clone is positioned asphyxiatingly close to your opponent. You can achieve this placement if your opponent gets hit by F42 clone, meaty B3 and others. You can also do this if you end a corner combo with F12. The "tighter" clone is very important during corner pressure because they can barely move while a normal clone off of F42 on block gives some leeway.

Furthermore, Subzero is able to throw his opponent in the clone and combo with slide just like in MK9. However, in MKX, you can actually combo off of this setup. There are 2 primary throw setups. A close, grounded version utilising backthrow and an airborne version utlising forward throw. This diversity is nice to keep your opponent guessing. You can combo into 123 slide as soon as you get up, it's a tight link.

There's also a third setup that I need to test more, it involves doing a slightly delayed grab at the same time the clone melts, you throw your opponent into it as it melts, it glitches out and you get the grab's damage while you're both instantly restood by the game.

Finally, the exact same jumpkick MK9 setup applies. Jumpkick in, do a fast move into clone and repeat. Now, deep jump kicks have been almost entirely removed and the current form of jump kick isn't that + but it is about +6 and that allows you to do a mid into clone.

Now, there's a number of things that can happen after you land a jumpkick. People love to press buttons, especially pokes, and if you do something slow they'll catch you. If your opponent has the habit of pressing buttons shortly after your jump kicks, you can walk back and catch their D1 ( not all ) and D3 ( medium ranged ones ) with B33 and hitconfirm it into iceball.

Moving on, there's also the clone throw option. Clone throw is amazing against characters who don't have any 6f buttons and worse than your other frametraps against those who do. Considering F4 into anything is a true blockstring, you can check people with F4 clone throw which leaves you at +2. Now, here is where the mixup part comes in. You have no 6 or 7f mids and your clone is not available for 1,5 seconds after you shatter it via clone throw.

You are +2, your mid hitting, special cancellable F3(3) is now 6f and you can use it against characters with 7f or higher mids. Against 6f poke characters, there is a trade that is very unfavorable if you do F3 and they poke because F3 is only +3 on hit while their poke will certainly be over +10, causing them to be +X frames in your face. Your D1 gives +14 on hit but is -5 on block. Your D3 however is also +14 and 0 on block, making it the optimal poke in case you get a trade or guess wrong and have it blocked.

VS characters with 5f mid pokes I wouldn't use clone throw.

Combos

As mentioned in the beginning of the guide, Subzero has a lot of wallcarry in his combos. I will put these combos within spoilers. His damage is mediocre midscreen, Cryomancer can get 40%, others 30 to 32. Corner damage varies from 25/35 (G/U) to 25/42 (C).

And thus we come to the end of the guide, following afterwards will be some videos and a reminder that this is what I have discovered so far Subzero a few days in. I will add more setups as they are found. I realise this guide is heavily Grandmaster oriented, this will change as more time is spent in training mode.

Videos

[/spoiler

Last edited:

LockM

Noob
Pretty cool guide, definately trying out Sub-Zero first tomorrow, had a lot of fun with him in MK9 and enjoyed his calculated playstyle a lot...especially when in the corner!

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
the grab and slide into combo are really cheap. @Qwark28 is the slide setup still safe on block like it was in mk9 if you had the clone up in the corner?
It's actually not worth it to slide most of the time because the clone has a very meh lower hitbox, you can be poked while -. I've seen that a close clone resorts to a tighter punish so if you don't expect the slide it's difficult to get it, I need to test that more.
So is Slide really a hard knockdown? For sure in earlier builds you could tech roll after.
Yes
Very nice. Well written. Have you messed around with ending a freeze combo with B12 yet? It is VERY positive and allows you a 50/50 set up with B2 or B33.
Only worth it in unbreakable vs a really heavy zoner. The damage is absolutely pitiful.
Thank you @Qwark28 ! With the Ice Clone corner setup if you go low instead of an overhead, does the clone still freeze them?
Yes.

Shamwow0w0w

Steam / Twitch: Apsasu
I might have missed it but what does Frozen Aura do exactly? reduces damage taken? does this include chip? How much damage does he take from a 30% combo while it's activated. Very nice guide btw.

NB Semi Evil Ryu

Former Sub-Zero of the Midwest (2011 - 2015)
Quick question:

So one of the things that I liked to do with Sub-Zero in MK 9 was this:

Whenever I would hit 2,2, iceball; I would immediately do an ice clone to build meter (the clone would not actually show up, but SZ would still go through the animation and I would get a sliver of meter for doing it). And then, my opponent would still be frozen long enough so that I could still hit a jump in punch and combo from there.

Does he have anything like this in MK X?