What's new

The Quarantine Post-I'm not good with titles.

ZeroSymbolic

W.A.S.P.
I'm not a man with a lot of finesse or tact so I am just going to dive in here and ya'll make of it what you will. I think it will be apparent pretty fast whether or not this content is for you or not. If it's not that's alright. It's probably gonna amount to one of those personal therapy threads. Away we go with it. Maybe you can help me.

It seams like I am one of those people that just can't stay out of trouble. The long and short of it is that I find myself in a negative light in some communities, and outright banned in others. This kinda culminated today-I lost my Overwatch account of 4 years, I'm also banned for reasons never said to me from the MK discords and so forth. I'm banned from The elder scrolls forums, and a few other online forums. Recently I was banned here for 6 months. Obviously I have a problem saying the wrong things to the wrong people, but the thing is that I dearly loved all these communities and the people in them. Being exiled from them makes me feel awful, like a complete screw up. I am not a troll or somebody out to hurt people. I don't get my jollies off other peoples misery. It's hard to explain, but I feel like that kid in children's books who is just always a mess, doesn't follow the rules, can't stop disrupting things, just a complete mess. I think his name is David if you ever read those, and it's probably not a surprise to anybody that I was that kid.

Look, I'm not looking for pity or excuses but the long story short is that I come from an extremely dark background-a lot of violence, a lot of hate, a lot of isolation, a lot of insanity-absolute insanity. It sounds cliche to say, but I really have seen and done things that would make a well adjusted man turn green. It was not good first 20years on the planet for me.

However, upon graduating college I put all of that in the dust-I packed my car the night before graduating, walked off the podium diploma in hand, and drove 900miles away from that whole mess. Met a great woman, and 20-31 has been a really good run. I've been able to put a lot behind me, find happiness, and overcome a lot of my social obstacles. I do very well in face to face situations.

I was talking to my wife about all this, and I think she is right about it. When I step into the online world it's like I regress back to all that, I become this aggressively awkward snarling beast. In my own mind what I am saying isn't that wild or offensive, or mean, but obviously reality says that it is-or at least that it reads and sounds that way. My plan is to eventually completely scrap the ZeroSymbolic moniker, and start completely over with a fresh name, behavior, and attitude-to revamp my online persona to more closely resemble the progress I have made in reality, but I know that if I don't get some help and make some real changes it will be doomed to repeat itself again.

Has anybody else here gone through anything like this and how do you turn it around? In many ways I feel like an addict-staying clean for months, sometimes even a year at a time, and then diving right back into the hole of despair. It really is something I want to fix. I don't mean to hurt people, and I want to be a better member of the community. Sincerely.

I think this is what I have to say for now, and maybe more will come out with discussions. It's been on my mind to do this for a while and I never could get it quite right, but it had to come out, so here it is.

DragonofDadashov24

Let’s see whose fire burns hotter
You chose the wrong place to discuss your character issues, pal.
I got banned cause I called a guy by his natural gender and got marked as transhomophobic piece of shit, not that I deny it in a sense, but yeah, people on forums don't know who you really are as long as they don’t talk to you personally. As Disturbed puts it, online is a mess of a place that makes you do and say things you normally wouldn’t cause there are literally no consequences. Unless you live in the same town and your opponent can come over and fuck you up real good. You’re not hurting anyone but yourself really.

fr stack

Noob's saibot or noob saibot's?
Yeah im more interested in the elder scrolls ban loool
But seriously i consider myself blessed that we never had internet until i was 18 i managed to avoid all that online persona garbage .. oh also lots of acid made me very introspective if thats even a word!

Arqwart

D'Vorah for KP2 copium
As someone who has temper issues and is a petty, spiteful asshole at heart, here's how I've learned to handle myself: I will always reread my potential contributions a couple times prior to posting. I'll make a ton of edits to cut most any emotional baggage, attacks / passive aggression, or useless content in the response. In many instances, the cutting of that negative / useless content will straight up result in the deletion of the entire potential post cause it wouldnt have been worth anything.

We're thankfully in a forum environment where we have the luxury of taking time to think and review prior to posting stuff which I advise everyone do.

If you want an example where I DIDNT let my rereading cut shit, go dig up my argument with MKF30 about MK9's balance. All that resulted in was a bunch of lost time, a raised heart rate, and eating an entire plate of bacon to calm myself down. I had to put him on ignore for like 2-3 weeks because simply seeing his forum avatar instantly soured my mood. I wish all that were a joke.

ZeroSymbolic

W.A.S.P.
As someone who has temper issues and is a petty, spiteful asshole at heart, here's how I've learned to handle myself: I will always reread my potential contributions a couple times prior to posting. I'll make a ton of edits to cut most any emotional baggage, attacks / passive aggression, or useless content in the response. In many instances, the cutting of that negative / useless content will straight up result in the deletion of the entire potential post cause it wouldnt have been worth anything.

We're thankfully in a forum environment where we have the luxury of taking time to think and review prior to posting stuff which I advise everyone do.

If you want an example where I DIDNT let my rereading cut shit, go dig up my argument with MKF30 about MK9's balance. All that resulted in was a bunch of lost time, a raised heart rate, and eating an entire plate of bacon to calm myself down. I had to put him on ignore for like 2-3 weeks because simply seeing his forum avatar instantly soured my mood. I wish all that were a joke.
Thank you man. I'm learning how to do that.

DeftMonk

Noob
One piece of advice would be to avoid talk of religion/politics or any such sensitive subjects on a video game forum. This is like trying to quit crack but going to visit ur buddy who happens to live in a crack house. Willingly entering an environment that is going to be difficult for you to control yourself in.

ZeroSymbolic

W.A.S.P.
I think I'm gonna be alright. Just fell on black days there for a minute. I did change my moniker and somehow that's eased my mood. It's like creating a newer friendlier persona, and wouldn't ya know it-people are nicer.

AREZ God of War

The Crazy BeastMaster
I think I'm gonna be alright. Just fell on black days there for a minute. I did change my moniker and somehow that's eased my mood. It's like creating a newer friendlier persona, and wouldn't ya know it-people are nicer.
I stopped drinking so much but most importantly i stopped drinking everyday... every hour of every day... every.... Well, you get the idea. Everything in moderation.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
I respect the wish to get better.. I’d suggest really taking a hard look at everything you do/say towards another person, kind of as you do it.. I don’t think my upbringing was as bad as yours, but I had some habits that were passed down that I had to unlearn. And learning to be more introspective about my actions (and really question the motivations behind what I do and say) was a big part of becoming a better person.