What's new

The Problems Of Breakaway

NothingPersonal

Are you not entertained!?
I get burned so many times after breaking away that I'd rather not get comboed or just take the damage. The only time I feel comfortable breaking away is against Scorpion, and even then it may not be worth it.

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
Checking it out last night, it seemed to take about 20 seconds to regain one bar after breaking, and another 10 seconds after that to get back the second bar. To me that feels like a long enough time. 20 seconds without access to any defensive options other than block, in a game where getting opened up can lead to 30%+ damage into oki, it's a decent cost.

I also think it could get more costly to air escape once the meta around it develops more. I imagine players will get better at still finding a way to get their damage in (like using a d2), and finding more optimal ways to pressure wakeups.

I think it's fine for now, I don't really think it's hurting anything.

Chernyy Volk

Wolf lord, footsie bully, chronic corner abuser.
I feel like I need to make a video to actually demonstrate this. You never pay a higher price for breaking away, it's always riskier to play the wakeup game and it always results in you eating more damage.

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
I feel like I need to make a video to actually demonstrate this. You never pay a higher price for breaking away, it's always riskier to play the wakeup game and it always results in you eating more damage.

Please make a video, I'd be interested in seeing it.

SnoopyClownGang

Who's Next?
Having more wakeup options ALWAYS results in you eating more damage?
Are...are you sure you want to stand by that statement? Lol

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
I guess where I’m confused is, why should you pay a higher price for breaking away? It used to be breaker, which didn’t even cost a full meter, reset you completely safely to neutral and didn’t knock you down.

Meanwhile using breakaway won’t even allow you to wake up for a while and gives the opponent their turn with you in a knockdown state.

I don’t see how there’s any comparison at all. The MK11 version involves far more thinking and counterplay than we ever had with breakers in MKX or MK9.

Last edited:

Chernyy Volk

I guess where I’m confused is, why should you pay a higher price for breaking away? It used to be breaker, which didn’t even cost a full meter, reset you completely safely to neutral and didn’t knock you down.

Meanwhile using breakaway won’t even allow you to wake up for a while and gives the opponent their turn with you in a knockdown state.

I don’t see how there’s any comparison at all. The MK11 version involves far more thinking and counterplay than we ever had with breakers in MKX or MK9.
The problem is is like... I'm not looking to make someone pay IMMEDIATELY for breaking away although I'm in the Sonicfox camp of that there should be no breaker in this game period. But blocking isn't a big deal in this game and isn't really scary, so for even the long term post-break scenario for the other guy it usually isn't that much of a sacrifice. It's not gonna be removed, so all I would like is for it to be less available. It creates a frustrating gameplay experience especially in slow paced matches. I've started doing only fully grounded combos or string into special knockdowns so I can force them off the meter instead of letting them have the breakaway and I've gotten results playing this way.

Chernyy Volk

Having more wakeup options ALWAYS results in you eating more damage?
Are...are you sure you want to stand by that statement? Lol
Let me clarify.

When you breakaway, even if you get hit immediately again into full combo, you take QUITE significantly less net damage than if you tried to wake up and the guy read you. Waking up is always riskier than breaking.

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
But blocking isn't a big deal in this game and isn't really scary, so for even the long term post-break scenario for the other guy it usually isn't that much of a sacrifice. It's not gonna be removed, so all I would like is for it to be less available.
I think that first statement is a pretty big assumption though. As far as availability, you can realistically only break once every 30 seconds, so most of the time you're only going to see it once per round, maybe twice.

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
When you breakaway, even if you get hit immediately again into full combo, you take QUITE significantly less net damage than if you tried to wake up and the guy read you. Waking up is always riskier than breaking.
Obviously, taking a full combo and then getting hit on wakeup is going to do the most damage. But if you break away after 14% damage, and then get hit with a full combo into 30% damage, now you've taken 44% total, facing wakeup pressure, and have no defensive options. That's more than if you'd have taken the 30% combo and been able to wake up without getting hit. Even if you just take a throw and reset neutral that's still 28% total (close to what the combo would have done) and now you're without defensive options, at risk of taking big damage if your opponent can get a combo soon.

You can do the 2x2 decision matrix for breaking and getting hit on wakeup, and on straight damage and not taking probability into account sure breakaway limits damage most of the time, but that doesn't take into account the increased likelihood of getting hit by a wakeup attack due to not having meter, and the potential chance to take big damage in the next 20-30 seconds due to not being able to break from the next combo.