What's new

The problem with Bane....

Wetdoba

All too easy...
I know it's your character and people like to komplain about their characters, but he makes you raw guess up klose and hits with high damage. What do you expect? Multiple options of his go through attacks because of the armor and even if you decide not to attack, you have to guess between blocking or avoiding the grab. His dash is great, they buffed his standing jab to be faster than plenty of other character's jabs, and buffed his elbow drop (which he never needed). The elbow drop buff upsets me the most because characters kan't punish it reliably anymore. Manta has to do a walk up jab which feels as hard as the optimal just frame F3 that was possible before. At max range Manta kan't even punish it, and this is a character with a 9 frame ranged high, and a ridiculously far reaching F2.

Anyway, the only way to make your peace with all this is to accept that characters are just designed to be f*cked up. So it's isn't that Bane is bad, he's very good, it's just that there's a few other characters that screw him over.. ....because they're f*cked up too.
Manta can punish with B2 up close

Wetdoba

All too easy...
I honestly cant think of anyone who doesn't punish it up close.. aside from maybe darkside, but I'm pretty sure he can delay reversal palms.
Its -16 so point blank everyone can punish, the size of that punish depends on how much they have labbed and how ready they are to punish. Darkseid can take an easy d1 or reversal punish to be reliable or he could instant air stomp into 45% plus, thats on them, not bane. But every single character has a punish, yes.

Cursa

Counterpoke with armoured DB2 at all times.
Bane just doesn't play IJ2 that great is all, you can't buff him.

Cursa

I know it's your character and people like to komplain about their characters, but he makes you raw guess up klose and hits with high damage. What do you expect? Multiple options of his go through attacks because of the armor and even if you decide not to attack, you have to guess between blocking or avoiding the grab. His dash is great, they buffed his standing jab to be faster than plenty of other character's jabs, and buffed his elbow drop (which he never needed). The elbow drop buff upsets me the most because characters kan't punish it reliably anymore. Manta has to do a walk up jab which feels as hard as the optimal just frame F3 that was possible before. At max range Manta kan't even punish it, and this is a character with a 9 frame ranged high, and a ridiculously far reaching F2.

Anyway, the only way to make your peace with all this is to accept that characters are just designed to be f*cked up. So it's isn't that Bane is bad, he's very good, it's just that there's a few other characters that screw him over.. ....because they're f*cked up too.
Elbow is a super easy reliable punish if you go into the lab and learn it with your character, it's not like Flash lightning kick or Robin BF3 that are legit inconsistent as fook to punish. Manta can punish it with B1 and B2 for example.

He has the faster jab than all other characters because his next fastest normal is 11 frames, which is significantly slower than the rest of the cast, and it basically means that anything that doesn't properly jail from plus frames can be poked out of. Yeah he has armour to make up for that and yes it's a 50/50 but both options are unsafe and full combo punishable while Bane only gets a knockdown into another 50/50 which may or may not be unsafe depending on whether he uses armour or not.

Since a high is his fastest move also you can poke out of plus frames unless he commits to unsafe armour, if he has it ready. Like you can poke out of Bane's 11D22 string which is +2 if you have a fast enough D1/D2 which is basically every character in the game.

This also applies to when you're at minus frames (but safe) it can be hard to get his pressure started.

He also has gaps galore in a good amount of his pressure tools like 11D2 which are like 8 frame gaps and no one abuses them.

His wakeup game without armour is pretty weak too, DB2 and BF2 are not fully invincible and are pretty easy to stuff as far as semi-invincible wakeups go.

There was more but I forgot what I was gonna say lol. I don't think anyone here wants buffs cause buffs will either do nothing to him or make him broke, you can only buff a character who has reversal armoured specials so much. It's just way too crazy of a playstyle to buff to those sorta levels, Bane just doesn't play IJ2 very well is all, he's big, pretty slow, pretty stubby buttons, and unsafe on loaadddss of stuff in a game that rewards being able to either move quickly or play patient, and Bane can't really do either of those.

Bane would've been a fantastic MKX character in his current state, if you think of it that way

Cursa

Also elbow drop buff to +20 was a godsend because characters like Superman, Batman and Catwoman could literally just backdash on wakeup and basically ignore 80% of your oki.

As for the pushback thing/-16 part of it... I think it's not that bad. It's a punishable advancing overhead that is sometimes armoured, I think it alright compared to the level of neutral some characters have/

I just feel like there's a reason that the one Bane player left in majors also has like 3 pocket characters

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
Elbow is a super easy reliable punish if you go into the lab and learn it with your character, it's not like Flash lightning kick or Robin BF3 that are legit inconsistent as fook to punish. Manta can punish it with B1 and B2 for example.

He has the faster jab than all other characters because his next fastest normal is 11 frames, which is significantly slower than the rest of the cast, and it basically means that anything that doesn't properly jail from plus frames can be poked out of. Yeah he has armour to make up for that and yes it's a 50/50 but both options are unsafe and full combo punishable while Bane only gets a knockdown into another 50/50 which may or may not be unsafe depending on whether he uses armour or not.

Since a high is his fastest move also you can poke out of plus frames unless he commits to unsafe armour, if he has it ready. Like you can poke out of Bane's 11D22 string which is +2 if you have a fast enough D1/D2 which is basically every character in the game.

This also applies to when you're at minus frames (but safe) it can be hard to get his pressure started.

He also has gaps galore in a good amount of his pressure tools like 11D2 which are like 8 frame gaps and no one abuses them.

His wakeup game without armour is pretty weak too, DB2 and BF2 are not fully invincible and are pretty easy to stuff as far as semi-invincible wakeups go.

There was more but I forgot what I was gonna say lol. I don't think anyone here wants buffs cause buffs will either do nothing to him or make him broke, you can only buff a character who has reversal armoured specials so much. It's just way too crazy of a playstyle to buff to those sorta levels, Bane just doesn't play IJ2 very well is all, he's big, pretty slow, pretty stubby buttons, and unsafe on loaadddss of stuff in a game that rewards being able to either move quickly or play patient, and Bane can't really do either of those.

Bane would've been a fantastic MKX character in his current state, if you think of it that way
Doesn't 112d have armor on the 2d?

Also, I think Bane fits a decent spot for the juggernaut archetype. Zoning is forever a problem for him, but it's not like he absolutely doesn't have the ability to get where he needs to be in a fair amount of matchups. Pretty good dash, always have to be wary of armor, etc. But yeah, I don't think NRS is gonna let him have some of the stuff he had in Inj1 ever again lol. That is a huge reason he is the way he is.

Cursa

Doesn't 112d have armor on the 2d?

Also, I think Bane fits a decent spot for the juggernaut archetype. Zoning is forever a problem for him, but it's not like he absolutely doesn't have the ability to get where he needs to be in a fair amount of matchups. Pretty good dash, always have to be wary of armor, etc. But yeah, I don't think NRS is gonna let him have some of the stuff he had in Inj1 ever again lol. That is a huge reason he is the way he is.
It does not have armour, and even if it did MB B3 would still beat it.

I get where you're coming from saying he's pretty good considering and I'm not wanting IJ1 Bane but get kinda tired of seeing people list all of Bane's upsides and forgetting that most of them have pretty easy solutions, albeit they are reads 99% of the time.

Like yeah he's good upclose but it's the same as he's been day 1 - his risk/reward factor is usually pretty skewed. Once he gets the knockdown it becomes way easier but like there's still a lot of very easy and relatively safe options that beat some really common Bane oki options, or at least help with them, like delayed wakeup, backdashes, some regular wakeups even, MB B3. Then you get into the harder read stuff with like neutral jumps on wakeup which some characters can punish Bane for, full combo, compared to the little +5 grab that he was trying to go for.

It's like people compare him to Flash and he's not even close to that level of good. Flash is infinitely better at getting in, is infinitely safer up close and does pretty close damage if he uses trait (which Bane also has to use trait for which also has a massive downside to it)

Also Bane's dash is pretty good but it's MU dependant, like Starfire yeah it's pretty good but you'll never get a forward dash against characters like Fate or Robin

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
It does not have armour, and even if it did MB B3 would still beat it.

I get where you're coming from saying he's pretty good considering and I'm not wanting IJ1 Bane but get kinda tired of seeing people list all of Bane's upsides and forgetting that most of them have pretty easy solutions, albeit they are reads 99% of the time.

Like yeah he's good upclose but it's the same as he's been day 1 - his risk/reward factor is usually pretty skewed. Once he gets the knockdown it becomes way easier but like there's still a lot of very easy and relatively safe options that beat some really common Bane oki options, or at least help with them, like delayed wakeup, backdashes, some regular wakeups even, MB B3. Then you get into the harder read stuff with like neutral jumps on wakeup which some characters can punish Bane for, full combo, compared to the little +5 grab that he was trying to go for.

It's like people compare him to Flash and he's not even close to that level of good. Flash is infinitely better at getting in, is infinitely safer up close and does pretty close damage if he uses trait (which Bane also has to use trait for which also has a massive downside to it)

Also Bane's dash is pretty good but it's MU dependant, like Starfire yeah it's pretty good but you'll never get a forward dash against characters like Fate or Robin
Yeah, I wouldn't put him at Flash levels oggensively, but for his archetype, he's honestly not bad but not great either. It's quite a bit to read with him, too, to get out of his oki. But I do agree, the answers are pretty easy. Delayed wakeup fucks with him pretty bad.

Wetdoba

All too easy...
Yeah, I wouldn't put him at Flash levels oggensively, but for his archetype, he's honestly not bad but not great either. It's quite a bit to read with him, too, to get out of his oki. But I do agree, the answers are pretty easy. Delayed wakeup fucks with him pretty bad.
He actually has multiple ways to OS delayed wake ups also covering either wake up or meaty and can cover all 3 at once in level 3. His offense is just as good as flash he just does it on knockdown while flash does it to you standing