What's new

The problem with Bane....

It feels pretty much impossible with a lot of matchups to get in while playing Bane at this point in Injustice 2. I used to be pretty damn good at a point, I even gave sonic a run for his money in a random ranked battle once. But returning it feels like the deck is ridiculously stacked when playing him. Just a lot of projectile spamming and cheese online. I know I have some rust but I just wanted to ask for advice on how to get in and if it’s really even worth playing as him in some matchups (He’s my only character, I know I should expand.) Did a patch do this? Where does Bane currently stand in this version of the game? I honestly feel like he is god awful. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Test Your Might

Cursa

Counterpoke with armoured DB2 at all times.
He's slightly below average I would say. It would be easy to argue that he's worse than that simply due to bad MU's more than anything, but he's not Raiden level bad or anything.

Zoning is Bane's biggest weakness by a long shot imo because unlike most other rushdown characters he doesn't have a proper tool to actually help him get in. Armoured charge is a tool but it's quite lacklustre, can be baited, punished, MB B3'd, armour broken by projectiles, costs venom etc. It has it's place, particularly at mid screen sort of range where doing a MB B3 on reaction is hard.

Other than that, MB roll is always fantastic when used correctly. I like to condition the opponent to be ready for me to do a MB roll, and then it's at that sort of point I can start doing more forward dashes, which Bane has a really good one in terms of distance covered, and it pretty quick considering.

Just walking in patiently is also a good strategy. Once you get the appropriate range you can threaten zoning with armoured elbow (Which is now +20 on hit as of recent patches).

It's definitely not worth playing him in a good chunk of matchups, would highly suggest a secondary character. I've yet to meet or see a Bane who is solely a Bane main. Fate and Blue Beetle are two characters I don't think I'd ever pick Bane as and are probably his worst MU's imo.

I use MB roll too but even that sometimes just is not that great. Especially against that chunk of the community that just wants to run away the whole time and after you spent a bar on just getting in. :/ Would you say flash or Grodd is a good secondary? I really don’t like zoning in this game. It feels like it’s way too zone heavy IMO I want to actually fight in a fighting game.

Cursa

I use MB roll too but even that sometimes just is not that great. Especially against that chunk of the community that just wants to run away the whole time and after you spent a bar on just getting in. :/ Would you say flash or Grodd is a good secondary? I really don’t like zoning in this game. It feels like it’s way too zone heavy IMO I want to actually fight in a fighting game.

Grodd and Flash can both get in on zoning better than Bane but I don't know if there's a pure rushdown character that is able to consistently get in on every zoner in the game.

Flash is really strong, best rushdown character in the game and is able to get past zoning better than Bane but he'll still get zoned out by characters like Dr Fate.

Grodd has projectile immunity and a leap which are good at getting past zoning but he's quite difficult to play compared to the rest of the cast and has his own set of problems, which I don't really want to get too in depth into

Black Manta is a strong counter zoner but isn't the sort of rushdown that Bane or Flash play; a lot more stagger pressure and long reaching moves rather than 50/50s, he can mix you up but no where near the extent that Flash or Bane can.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
When I played I2 I had a lot of fun with Bane. But looking back I only chose him out of love for the character, I woulda been better off with Cheetah or Swamp for grapplers because they have actual pokes and decent counter zoning

Cursa

To bring back old discussion, it's not Bane who has a problem, it's the game that has a problem with Bane.

Specifically with grab immune strings or specials.

Part of the reason why Beetle is such an ass MU on top of all his zoning and mobility is that shield bash is a safe throw immune wakeup.

Cursa

Also the amount of shit that a bunch of Bane's get away with, both in casual/ranked online and top play, is ridiculous.

Like 11D2 has like an 8 frame gap or something dumb but I don't think I've ever seen someone interrupt it EVER.

Consistent punishes on both elbow and charge. Character dependent and sometimes hard (especially for charge) but still like pls.

And for the love of all things holy, bait a fucking armoured reversal every once and awhile

Against my Bane if you just block when you're at + anything you'll get a free punish 100% of the time

Barrogh

Meta saltmine
Also the amount of shit that a bunch of Bane's get away with, both in casual/ranked online and top play, is ridiculous.
Case in point, Biohazard vs Gross in the recent tournament. The latter was hit by Bane's 1 after Bane's +2 like 3 times in a row. Normally I'd say Bane isn't supposed to be able to do even that against a character with 6f normals (including d1), nevermind doing anything else.

That made me question whether I really understand anything.

ATP2014

The best mediocre Batman
I think ppl need to consider the human factor when facing Bane. He does so much dmg and all his enders leave him in range for more mixups and pressure. Of course ppl are gonna miss opportunities to interrupt every gap and bait every armored move. We aren't robots.

Bio has proven that Bane is just fine and doesn't really need any major changes. Zoning sucks to deal with, but it isn't as bad as it used to be.

Cursa

I think ppl need to consider the human factor when facing Bane. He does so much dmg and all his enders leave him in range for more mixups and pressure. Of course ppl are gonna miss opportunities to interrupt every gap and bait every armored move. We aren't robots.

Bio has proven that Bane is just fine and doesn't really need any major changes. Zoning sucks to deal with, but it isn't as bad as it used to be.
Think there's only so far you can go before knowing how to punish like a -20 move where it stops being just human error and it becomes just consistent mistakes.

I would also bet money that if any other Bane fought Bio he would interrupt that 11 - D2 gap. I know I do, and Bane can dash cancel it, but he's never gonna dash cancel it if you never interrupt it.

I get that people miss opportunities but I honest to god don't think I've seen someone interrupt that gap ever.

Cursa

So many characters can punish elbow, it's sad seeing it go unpunished so often lol. Off the top of my head, characters that can punish it for a full combo are Superman, Fate, Robin, Adam, SG, Lantern, Harley, Flash, AM, there's probably others. The punish is spacing dependent but the move has adequate block stun for you to react accordingly.
Tbh I don't see how every character can't punish it, it's just about time.

Like I feel Canary could punish it by doing a delayed F1 as Bane stands up. Not sure what Cyborg's option would be, maybe walk forward into F2xxDB2 MB.

Last edited:

Cursa

Grodd and Flash can both get in on zoning better than Bane but I don't know if there's a pure rushdown character that is able to consistently get in on every zoner in the game.

Flash is really strong, best rushdown character in the game and is able to get past zoning better than Bane but he'll still get zoned out by characters like Dr Fate.

Grodd has projectile immunity and a leap which are good at getting past zoning but he's quite difficult to play compared to the rest of the cast and has his own set of problems, which I don't really want to get too in depth into

Black Manta is a strong counter zoner but isn't the sort of rushdown that Bane or Flash play; a lot more stagger pressure and long reaching moves rather than 50/50s, he can mix you up but no where near the extent that Flash or Bane can.
Man this was a pretty dumb and confusing post in retrospect

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
Bane is good. I think being able to mop anyone upclose is a good excuse for being bad at full screen. I legit don't know what to do to make him better because once he's in your face you're out of luck.

why is r.e.t.a.r.d.e.d censored
You can say pretty much any swear word but that single word is somehow a federal offense on this website when it isn't even a swear word to begin with idk man lol

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
I think Bane is neither retarded nor shit, he’s a good character but has problems, same could be said for just about everyone in the whole game

Cursa

I think Bane is neither (soap bar in my mouth) nor shit, he’s a good character but has problems, same could be said for just about everyone in the whole game
I think he's just barely below average and that people think he's a bit better than he is, by varying amounts, because of how steam-rolly he can be if you make like 10 right reads in a row.

Like seeing Bio get like yolo elbow's in the neutral. Probably not a good example because you'll pretty much always be blocking low for his D1 which is pretty nutty but if ya see what I mean then ye.

I'm not asking for buffs or anything I think he's fine tbh but just sorta revived this to outline his problems and how I think a looootttt of people are approaching the Bane MU wrong. I know that at least whenever I play some decent Bane's in ranked I'm able to really bully them by making those hard reads, interrupting gaps, and really abusing backdashes (character dependant) in order to get lots of punishes and prevent that momentum that he seems to get really easily in a lot of games.

Cursa

Also whatever happened to using delayed wakeup against Bane, I don't see people use it that much anymore either and it never stopped being a good option to reduce Bane's oki, get punishes on him even, as well as just reduce his overall venom uptime.

Cursa

delayed wakeup is a very legitimate way of punishing the elbow drop. i've lost track of all the games i'd have lost if the guy i was fighting just delayed WU and punished my elbow on whiff.
Even if Bane does get the right read on delayed WU everytime that's like 5 grabs you're taking instead of 6, y'know?

Even if you aren't getting punishes it still fucks his venom uptime pretty hard, which is the big one that people forget imo

Barrogh

Meta saltmine
delayed wakeup is a very legitimate way of punishing the elbow drop. i've lost track of all the games i'd have lost if the guy i was fighting just delayed WU and punished my elbow on whiff.
While we are at it, what is the reason to use elbow on their wakeup? My guess is to cover both low blocking and backdash for a risk, but I'm not sure how good of a deal it is...

Cursa

While we are at it, what is the reason to use elbow on their wakeup? My guess is to cover both low blocking and backdash for a risk, but I'm not sure how good of a deal it is...
It's good at backdashes but I prefer doing a forward dash for bigger reward if I'm gonna take that risk

D

Deleted member 58466

So many characters can punish elbow, it's sad seeing it go unpunished so often lol. Off the top of my head, characters that can punish it for a full combo are Superman, Fate, Robin, Adam, SG, Lantern, Harley, Flash, AM, there's probably others. The punish is spacing dependent but the move has adequate block stun for you to react accordingly.
Atros can punish with BF1

Red Reaper

The Hyrax Whisperer
I know it's your character and people like to komplain about their characters, but he makes you raw guess up klose and hits with high damage. What do you expect? Multiple options of his go through attacks because of the armor and even if you decide not to attack, you have to guess between blocking or avoiding the grab. His dash is great, they buffed his standing jab to be faster than plenty of other character's jabs, and buffed his elbow drop (which he never needed). The elbow drop buff upsets me the most because characters kan't punish it reliably anymore. Manta has to do a walk up jab which feels as hard as the optimal just frame F3 that was possible before. At max range Manta kan't even punish it, and this is a character with a 9 frame ranged high, and a ridiculously far reaching F2.

Anyway, the only way to make your peace with all this is to accept that characters are just designed to be f*cked up. So it's isn't that Bane is bad, he's very good, it's just that there's a few other characters that screw him over.. ....because they're f*cked up too.