What's new

The playstyles you want for the characters in mk11

honeybooboo

I speak truth, no lie
I want them to double down on brutalities. I want TONS of them, but some of them EXTREMELY rare/difficult/hidden.

I'd love to see Takeda return - didnt care for his personality but the whips are an AMAZING idea. I want to see his moveset really use them. I'd love to see him as a slightly faster version of his MKX self, with lower damage but an emphasis on mid range control that's used to set up a trap game based around his kunai. I know that sounds odd, but I have this enormous desire to see a neutral/footsie character that has strong traps. Balancing this would be kind of like its own version of hell, but we're talking wishlist stuff here.

Run cancel stuff needs to fuck off into the air, or be a universal timing across all characters and use. I could do them and I could hit most of the stuff considered difficult consistently, but I feel like that mechanic made things tedious, not fun or interesting. Id did add a nice layer to combo/pressure games but it was far more tedious than it was anything else IMO.

I want to see trap zoners. I want to see more interesting things done with grapplers as well.

We all know the next game will have an emphasis on accessibility, - that's just the trend in fighting games right now and NRS isnt going to buck that when they have so much money to make. By and large I think its FAR more a plus than anything else.. but Id like to see characters/systems that have an easily accessible skill floor, but a ceiling that is enormously high. Game's like that have the best shelf lives IMO and its far more interesting and gratifying to be able to sit down and get to grips with your favorite character(s) on a playable level, but still have this huge amount of space you can operate in, allowing tech and playstyles and the meta itself to continue to evolve and change over the course of the games life.

Additionally, and this may be a bad idea, but in THEORY id like to see it.. I want characters to have somewhat larger, more diverse movesets.. a shift away from specialty characters and a little more room to play characters in a broader range of playstyles.
Man id like to see nrs implement something like that but its easier said than done, as far as, easy to pick yet having a high ceiling. Also your last comment about having diverse movesets; i was always an advocate for more variation specific strings across the board

JGillette

My thirst for knowledge cannot be quenched
Tanya needs her naginata back, her kobu back, her fireballs back, idk she is just perfect and i cant imagine her without any of these weapons.. (oh btw lets not forget the teleport)

@RevetLeafing also what do you think?

JGillette

My thirst for knowledge cannot be quenched
I'm hoping Tanya will return and be mostly Kobu Jutsu but with the fireballs. I realize this is probably a longshot, but you never know, she might pull a Kenshi and jump from DLC to main cast.

Piercing Mileena is basically exactly how I want Mileena to play forever, so I'm good with that. Similarly, I'd like to see Kitana built with a Royal Storm-esque feel.

If Jade returns, I'd like to see her take some of Tanya's Dragon Naginata stuff.

If Sindel returns (major longshot, again, but hey hope springs eternal) I'd love to see her with really strong zoning to help balance out the meta of the game versus MKX's all-rushdown-all-the-time.

I'd love to see Li Mei come back as a sword user of some kind -- maybe sort of Xianghua from SC-esque. Make her feel special in the MK cast; rebuild her ground-up like Kenshi, Tanya, and BRC.
Jade doesnt deserve to be as stylish as Tanya , sorry :p

South

I'd rather SHOW than TELL ~ Poison Ivy
MK9 Kenshi, as I've said earlier (and that was said by Ketchup as well) wasn't a pure Zoner. Yes his best tools were his Zoning tools but his up close tools were still good enough, thus he wasn't a pure Zoner. So MK9 Kenshi and Balanced Kenshi in MKX aren't the same char in general. So no, your point wasn't proven. If you basically ignore almost all of the points I've made and make another point that was already proven wrong (because once again, MK9 Kenshi wasn't a pure Zoner, as I've said before), your point wasn't proven.

Any character that a pure Zoner in MK9 wasn't good, and by "pure", the meaning is for chars who could've only Zone but not do anything else. Just like in MKX. All what happened in MKX is that the Rushdown was a lot stronger then in MK9, and there were some pure Zoners in MK9, but the Zoning in MKX is still great in the same way it was in MK9. If only the chars in MK9 who could've both Zone and Rush were strong, it is not that different then what is going on in MKX. And no, MKX isn't dumped down, it has way more depth and harder then MK9.
Mk9 kenshi up close would not get the work done he was purely zoning and for you to basically act like ketchup word is law just shows your a drone that listens to top players without your own opinion... kenshi was arguably best zoner in game best Freddy smh kenshi would get bodied up close by actual rushdown fighters smh... I'm done with this conversation you basically said ketchup is law and said Mkx zoning was great lol best zoners in Mkx was quan & he mostly played up close with htb... then shinnok and he mostly was tryin to d4 hellspark or go for pressure... than kitana how was in your face all game doin chip damage and mixups so again I'm done with this conversation

Roy Arkon

I will leave my seal on you!
Mk9 kenshi up close would not get the work done he was purely zoning and for you to basically act like ketchup word is law just shows your a drone that listens to top players without your own opinion... kenshi was arguably best zoner in game best Freddy smh kenshi would get bodied up close by actual rushdown fighters smh... I'm done with this conversation you basically said ketchup is law and said Mkx zoning was great lol best zoners in Mkx was quan & he mostly played up close with htb... then shinnok and he mostly was tryin to d4 hellspark or go for pressure... than kitana how was in your face all game doin chip damage and mixups so again I'm done with this conversation
I will end my side with this. I am not a drone, you just keep bashing. There were stuff said by top players I realized they were wrong at, but not in this particular time. MK9 Kenshi wasn't a pure Zoner. He was indeed on of the best Zoners alongside Reptile and others, but being one of the best at Zoning doesn't mean he was only a pure Zoner, and that was true for everyone else. Also Quan Chi was only one of the best Zoners in MKX, same for Reptile, Shinnok, Kitana etc;. For both MK9 and MKX, there were several best Zoners, not just one above the rest, and yes, Zoning was their best playstyle, but they weren't pure Zoners. You just need to realize all of that instead of bashing. End of story.

Last edited:

SaSSolino

Soul Stealing Loyalist
As far as Shang Tsung goes, I'd like a complete zoner variation and a variation completely focused on his soul steal. I wouldn't mind a more rushdown oriented variation that uses strings from the rest of the cast by insta-morphing either, but I'm just daydreaming at this point.

I would love for Cage, Kang and expecially Sub to be back to their MK9 versions. They were both annoying to play against and unfun to play as in MKX, at least for me.

Error

DF2+R2
I'd like to see Ermac become a mid range, defensive god with his force push(ex not at all like his MKX push), a more creative force lift, a decent ranged normal grab and give him an overhead force divekick that knocks the opponent away to replace the teleport.

Blade4693

VIVIVI
If you ask me, if you aren't going to give Shang Tsung the ability to transform in every character, at least in the way he had it in MK9, then you might as well not include him.

Shinnok probably won't return anyway.
I don't think it can be done unless we just do like MK9 where he can only turn into his opponent at a time which is fine too, but I feel like competitively people would just pick that character if they wanted to fight as them. Shinnok got to steal one move and use it within his own move set which made for some unique things. Tsungs really doesn't get to blend the two, he just morphs into the opponent.

I feel you though. It is one of his main and most iconic abilities and I am sure he will have it in some way when he returns to us in playable form lol I just like the idea of him snatching up people's meter/health lol

Israel

Noob
@South

Let it go man. He likes MKX and will defend it to the end of the world. Just let him believe it wasnt 50/50 or 25/25/25/25 based.

Darth-Nero

Come Thunder! Come Lightning!
NightWolf - To have db1 raising tomahawk as the best antiair launcher in the game.

Raiden - vacinity burst command changed from db2 to dd2 in order to make it one of the best anti crossup in the game as well as a consistent antiair launcher. His teleport to be universal if they'll add variations again and he will be top 5 anti zoner in the game.

No more ice clones, no more armor launchers. Better universal AA mechanics. female hitboxes to be less unfair.

Let's assume that variations are not coming back for mk11.

In that case, explain which playstyle you want your favourite characters to have, and why. Should they be based on one mkx variation, a combination, something new...?

Discuss!
i want on the fly changes between 2 styles back, 3 is too much imo. every character with one style that supports its basic strengths and the other that improves on its general weaknesses.

for example:

quan chi: style one: adds dirt to mixups. style 2: improves defense/wakeup game.
sub-zero: style one: makes corner game even better. Style 2: better anti-zoning
kotal kahn: style one: hits even harder. style 2: better defense/wakeup game.