What's new

The playstyles you want for the characters in mk11

Wigy

There it is...
I think i want mk9’s dash mechanics, made it feel like even if u had stubby shitty normals you could make it work.

Any matchup felt more winnable when you’re not just walking in slowly eating projectiles to then not be able to really play footsies.

Erron black 's command grab without the fking dbf input

Tanya as in Dragon Naginata

Scorpion with that airthrow from mkx trailer (That they gave to Takeda instead)

South

I'd rather SHOW than TELL ~ Poison Ivy
Erron black 's command grab without the fking dbf input

Tanya as in Dragon Naginata

Scorpion with that airthrow from mkx trailer (That they gave to Takeda instead)
the erron black command grab is exactly why I said stop making stuff simplistic... universal command grab/spd for any game is usually dbf

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
Does anybody actually think the ice klone in Injustice 2 is too much? It doesn’t completely nuke anybody like MKX, it has a fair cooldown and doesn’t recharge after its hit someone. Strong zoning tools keep it from being too ridiculous too, honestly, Injustice 2 Sub is how he should be designed. They got rid of his 50/50 and loopable klone setplay and gave him midscreen damage and safety.

Edit: like if this was MKX, Sub would 8-2 Flash easy

Last edited:

Roy Arkon

I will leave my seal on you!
I don't really care about specific characters, but I would like it to be more interesting to watch than 50 shades of rushdown. Make actual zoners/utility chars again. Any character who was good was only because of constant plus frames and/or 50/50, 33/33/33, or 25/25/25/25 mix-ups.
I found Mkx to be a DUMB DOWN mk9 ridiculous filled with rushdown/ mixups
And actual skill being reduced to allow new players to join instead making them work to learn it allowed trash players to win imo. So make characters complex! Fuck how says "no mixups werent that bad just guess" that's the STUPIDEST THING IVE EVER READ/HEARD. You can't lab a guess but you can lab how to turn a 50/50 into a 25/25/25/25 which is stupid! No character should be based of pure mixups and every character was based off exactly that in Mkx... I could see if 5 outta 35 characters where it be okay as long as other playstyle were allowed too. Such as 10/35 zones 5/35 neutral/read based 5/35 rushdown 5/35 mixups 10/35 setup/trap
I'm sorry but you're so wrong on that. MKX wasn't a dumb down of MK9. Like @CrimsonShadow said in the past, there is a huge difference between having a few tools being too strong in a game and having a game that is being dumbed down. MKX is indeed more on the Rushdown side, that is true, and yes, every character can Rushdown at least to an extant, but it wasn't the main tool of every single character in the game. As a Reptile main, I've won so many matches by projectile-based Zoning and space control. Yes he has the fastest overhead starter in the game, he had the the sneakiest low starter in the game, and he does have great mixups, but he is a versatile character that the main thing about him is his Zoning, just like it was in MK9. There are other chars in MKX like Sektor Triborg who is a very neutral based-heavy but not 50/50-based. And there are other chars who could've Zone as well.

Also, MK9 and MKX aren't THAT different in terms of Zoning. According to @PND_Ketchup, while in MK9 there were a few chars, including Noob Saibot, who could've Zone effectively and they were pure Zoners, they were not as strong as other chars who could also Zone but they also had other tools outside of pure Keepaway. You couldn't have just use Projectiles alone in MK9 and win, so the stronger characters were the ones who could've both Zone and Rush, like Reptile, Kabal, Kenshi, Sektor and Kitana. So once again, MK9 and MKX weren't THAT different, all it really did was just not having pure Zoners, but the Zoning on the successful level is still the same. Hell, all of the MK games, both old and new, all the way from MK1, were more offense based then most other Fighting Game franchises.

Also, characters can rely on pure Rushdown and Mixups, and playing Mixups isn't some kind of a disgrace and not something that showcases lack of skill. You might be a Zoning player, but you can't play Rushdown for the life of you as you don't have the right mind set for it. I've also seen other offense players who claim that Zoning doesn't require skill and that everyone can just pick Full Auto Jacqui and go for her projectiles, and that is also false. There is no playstlye that doesn't require skill and the right mindset for it. And speaking of skill, an easy-to-use character can't be just a Rushdown char. Supergirl in IJ2 is a versatile character who can both Zone and Rush/Mix, and there are a few MU's that she needs to play Zoning and not Rushdown in order to win. Offense players are usually about processing the information during the match as fast as possible and if they face a more defensive player they try to put them in their spot too. You only think that it doesn't require skill is because that the opponent has managed to get you into panicking mode, as the opponent seems like he plays in a super-light speed, and if he managed to make you panic, that means he got the better of you, and that requires skill as well. Your job is try to not get panic instead.

Last edited:

Tanno

The Fantasy is the Reality of the Mind
Does anybody actually think the ice klone in Injustice 2 is too much? It doesn’t completely nuke anybody like MKX, it has a fair cooldown and doesn’t recharge after its hit someone. Strong zoning tools keep it from being too ridiculous too, honestly, Injustice 2 Sub is how he should be designed. They got rid of his 50/50 and loopable klone setplay and gave him midscreen damage and safety.

Edit: like if this was MKX, Sub would 8-2 Flash easy
Ice Klone-wise, I prefer MKX one. Gameplay-wise, I prefer INJ2 one, but with all his known powers since MK1.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
Ice Klone-wise, I prefer MKX one. Gameplay-wise, I prefer INJ2 one, but with all his known powers since MK1.
I prefer Injustice 2 Sub also because he can fight without the klone, but MKX klone was definitely better, I agree.

Both have 8 frame startup, the same recovery pretty much, but MKX klone could loop into its self, shatter combos were much better, and you could do a 50/50 from behind it

ImperatrixSindel

Too bad YOU... will DIE!
I'm hoping Tanya will return and be mostly Kobu Jutsu but with the fireballs. I realize this is probably a longshot, but you never know, she might pull a Kenshi and jump from DLC to main cast.

Piercing Mileena is basically exactly how I want Mileena to play forever, so I'm good with that. Similarly, I'd like to see Kitana built with a Royal Storm-esque feel.

If Jade returns, I'd like to see her take some of Tanya's Dragon Naginata stuff.

If Sindel returns (major longshot, again, but hey hope springs eternal) I'd love to see her with really strong zoning to help balance out the meta of the game versus MKX's all-rushdown-all-the-time.

I'd love to see Li Mei come back as a sword user of some kind -- maybe sort of Xianghua from SC-esque. Make her feel special in the MK cast; rebuild her ground-up like Kenshi, Tanya, and BRC.

Tanno

The Fantasy is the Reality of the Mind
I prefer Injustice 2 Sub also because he can fight without the klone, but MKX klone was definitely better, I agree.

Both have 8 frame startup, the same recovery pretty much, but MKX klone could loop into its self, shatter combos were much better, and you could do a 50/50 from behind it
True. Reason of wanting MKX IK is that there the ground IK wasn't whiffing at point zero. I loved the air IK, so it's fine. IK's the strongest fighting style of SZ.

South

I'm sorry but you're so wrong on that. MKX wasn't a dumb down of MK9. Like @CrimsonShadow said in the past, there is a huge difference between having a few tools being too strong in a game and having a game that is being dumbed down. MKX is indeed more on the Rushdown side, that is true, and yes, every character can Rushdown at least to an extant, but it wasn't the main tool of every single character in the game. As a Reptile main, I've won so many matches by projectile-based Zoning and space control. Yes he has the fastest overhead starter in the game, he had the the sneakiest low starter in the game, and he does have great mixups, but he is a versatile character that the main thing about him is his Zoning, just like it was in MK9. There are other chars in MKX like Sektor Triborg who is a very neutral based-heavy but not 50/50-based. And there are other chars who could've Zone as well.

Also, MK9 and MKX aren't THAT different in terms of Zoning. According to @PND_Ketchup, while in MK9 there were a few chars, including Noob Saibot, who could've Zone effectively and they were pure Zoners, they were not as strong as other chars who could also Zone but they also had other tools outside of pure Keepaway. You couldn't have just use Projectiles alone in MK9 and win, so the stronger characters were the ones who could've both Zone and Rush, like Reptile, Kabal, Kenshi, Sektor and Kitana. So once again, MK9 and MKX weren't THAT different, all it really did was just not having pure Zoners, but the Zoning on the successful level is still the same. Hell, all of the MK games, both old and new, all the way from MK1, were more offense based then most other Fighting Game franchises.

Also, characters can rely on pure Rushdown and Mixups, and playing Mixups isn't some kind of a disgrace and not something that showcases lack of skill. You might be a Zoning player, but you can't play Rushdown for the life of you as you don't have the right mind set for it. I've also seen other offense players who claim that Zoning doesn't require skill and that everyone can just pick Full Auto Jacqui and go for her projectiles, and that is also false. There is no playstlye that doesn't require skill and the right mindset for it. And speaking of skill, an easy-to-use character can't be just a Rushdown char. Supergirl in IJ2 is a versatile character who can both Zone and Rush/Mix, and there are a few MU's that she needs to play Zoning and not Rushdown in order to win. Offense players are usually about processing the information during the match as fast as possible and if they face a more defensive player they try to put them in their spot too. You only think that it doesn't require skill is because that the opponent has managed to get you into panicking mode, as the opponent seems like he plays in a super-light speed, and if he managed to make you panic, that means he got the better of you, and that requires skill as well. Your job is try to not get panic instead.
I see you wrote 3 detailed paragraphs but due to time I read the 1st !
Name one character who solely could win from neutral/ zoning ? Since you brought up reptile well stick with him ...

B1D4 ( low )
F412 (over head )
B2 ( overhead )
B3 ( low )
F3 ( low )
Along with the automatic d3/d4 lows... that's 2 overheads/ 5 lows not counting special moves!

That's can be mixed n safe unless you do slide (low) nobody is guessing that consistently if they do then YOUR not mixing right... ( no I'm not speaking on you when I said your ) yes you can do some zoning but to sit here and say "I won matches on projectile based zoning" I can't believe because for 1. His main zoning tool ( acid spit ) is a high... for 2. His acid balls are okay but for damage you gotta A. Run up ( Range depending) B. Finish with acid spit. So theoretically, & actuality you'd be better off up close with reptiles mixups as all where safe/plus except slide! Which you SHOULD only use slide in combos or after a F4 for a low/overhead mix up!

Edit: I just read P2 I won't respond to P3 because I think it's spot on with supergirl (as I used her before I dropped i2)
So the difference with Noob Saibot (my mk9 main) was all of his zoning was slow, unsafe, reachable, and also easy to get out of! So I'd have to compete with characters like Johnny (for example) up close where he shined & where Noob got shat on. Mk9 a character like kabal could zone & pressure exceptionally well but his overhead/low option where both unsafe.. so he had resort to ndcs and if you knew which where unsafe/safe/plus/had gaps/admirable it wasn't hard to get out off but now let's take Lui kang the kabal of Mkx... he had solid zoning not great but solid. But he had LOOPIN MID FRAME TRAPS...that where what +20ish at some point before goin down to +12? Which still jailed... he had a safe overhead optionafter a safe low that could be cancelled and made what like +10? That jailed into 2-3 strings? And the execution wasn't hard as I got them down in like a hour. An you couldn't backdash/armor/poke up either... oh you think your going to be safe when he does his high bicycle kick ? Nah mb it's now a overhead lol so you got respect his bicycle kick now which is -1 with a 7f mid d1 or low profile 10-11f d3 that was +1 iirc on block smh that's the difference when I say Mkx is a dumbed down mk9 that's one reason obviously not every character is like this example ( hat trick, special forces, ancestral) where execution heavy not mixup heavy, needed thinking and a well round gameplay to be good with. But you got more ball roll mileena, he'll spark shinnok, ice clone grand masters that never got balanced because they catered to simplicity and casuals would've complained because they don't want complex... I understand your point I really do but I hated Mkx for the reason I said and nothing can change that thought... I only hate i2 because it's hotbox issues/ and I don't really like the meta... I like zoning I play games with way worse zoning it's just Injustice zoning is (tap one button and your good or do one input and your good )

Last edited:

DelSchokoladenSaft

Can of Corn Main
I've read that someone would like to see that variations make it back, and I like that idea. Two variations per character would:
a, eliminate a weird variation that hardly anyone uses(I'm looking at you Drunken Master and Heavy Weapons),
b, it, in theory, will flesh out the character,
and c, give more characters a chance to make it back(Hellfire and Stunt Double could've gone into Noob's play style somehow).

If there aren't variations, then.....
I would like BRC to have his Bartitsu moves barring f1 from and replacing it with his regular f1, and some Drunken Master specials, with eliminating the barf penalty in place for the drunk buff to get taken away with a hit.
Kotal Khan can be a mix of all threee variations, with War God in his regular move set and the other two variations included into his special abilities.

EntropicByDesign

It's all so very confusing.
I want them to double down on brutalities. I want TONS of them, but some of them EXTREMELY rare/difficult/hidden.

I'd love to see Takeda return - didnt care for his personality but the whips are an AMAZING idea. I want to see his moveset really use them. I'd love to see him as a slightly faster version of his MKX self, with lower damage but an emphasis on mid range control that's used to set up a trap game based around his kunai. I know that sounds odd, but I have this enormous desire to see a neutral/footsie character that has strong traps. Balancing this would be kind of like its own version of hell, but we're talking wishlist stuff here.

Run cancel stuff needs to fuck off into the air, or be a universal timing across all characters and use. I could do them and I could hit most of the stuff considered difficult consistently, but I feel like that mechanic made things tedious, not fun or interesting. Id did add a nice layer to combo/pressure games but it was far more tedious than it was anything else IMO.

I want to see trap zoners. I want to see more interesting things done with grapplers as well.

We all know the next game will have an emphasis on accessibility, - that's just the trend in fighting games right now and NRS isnt going to buck that when they have so much money to make. By and large I think its FAR more a plus than anything else.. but Id like to see characters/systems that have an easily accessible skill floor, but a ceiling that is enormously high. Game's like that have the best shelf lives IMO and its far more interesting and gratifying to be able to sit down and get to grips with your favorite character(s) on a playable level, but still have this huge amount of space you can operate in, allowing tech and playstyles and the meta itself to continue to evolve and change over the course of the games life.

Additionally, and this may be a bad idea, but in THEORY id like to see it.. I want characters to have somewhat larger, more diverse movesets.. a shift away from specialty characters and a little more room to play characters in a broader range of playstyles.

Roy Arkon

I see you wrote 3 detailed paragraphs but due to time I read the 1st !
Name one character who solely could win from neutral/ zoning ? Since you brought up reptile well stick with him ...

B1D4 ( low )
F412 (over head )
B2 ( overhead )
B3 ( low )
F3 ( low )
Along with the automatic d3/d4 lows... that's 2 overheads/ 5 lows not counting special moves!

That's can be mixed n safe unless you do slide (low) nobody is guessing that consistently if they do then YOUR not mixing right... ( no I'm not speaking on you when I said your ) yes you can do some zoning but to sit here and say "I won matches on projectile based zoning" I can't believe because for 1. His main zoning tool ( acid spit ) is a high... for 2. His acid balls are okay but for damage you gotta A. Run up ( Range depending) B. Finish with acid spit. So theoretically, & actuality you'd be better off up close with reptiles mixups as all where safe/plus except slide! Which you SHOULD only use slide in combos or after a F4 for a low/overhead mix up!
Your question about which char in MKX can won by pure Zoning is out of place, because as I've said, in MK9 all of the true strong chars where chars that could've both Zone and Rush. You're acting like MK9 had pure Zoners that were among the top 5 chars in the game, as if MK9 had a Zoner in the level of pre-patched Deadshot in terms of viability, but like I said it is false. So in MKX, characters who can Zone and are strong (which is a lot, as MKX is a very balanced game) can also Rushdown, and that is true in MK9 as well. Only difference that MK9 had pure Zoners in general, but they weren't as strong.

As for Reptile in MKX, yes he has all of the strings and normals, and yes his mixups are very good, but his Zoning is the better playstyle. His projectiles in the game are his main tools to control the pace of the match, just like in MK9. Also, his Acid Spit is a High in both MK9 and MKX, and Reptile doesn't need to run to get damage of off Forceball, and as a Reptile player, if I manage to keep my opponent too far from me, I don't need to run just to catch him after a Forceball just to get a combo, I only go for a combo when my opponent got into a mid-screen distance (more or less) before I go for a combo, otherwise I will go for an Acid Spit or a D2. And yes, I do go for Acid Spit after a Forceball, either right after the Forceball, or I can get a full combo off the Forceball that ends in an Acid Spit (if my opponent is close enough), after which I can go back to the Zoning and/or Keepaway as I've managed to push my opponent full screen away from me. Also in MKX, you can stop the Forceballs in their place, so you can catch people who think they will be able to jump over the Forceballs, increasing his space control and Zoning even further. And for the record, Reptile doesn't need to use the Run mechanic in general, he cam use the Reptilian Dash which is an excellent mobility tool. All of the strings he had are indeed great tools, and they're all either fast, safe or plus indeed, and there are MU's in which you have to go to the Rushdown and Mixups style in order to win, but in general, Reptile is the same char in both MK9 and MKX, a versatile character with Zoning, pace control and mobility being his best tools, not his mixups.

Last edited:

South

Your question about which char in MKX can won by pure Zoning is out of place, because as I've said, in MK9 all of the true strong chars where chars that could've both Zone and Rush. You're acting like MK9 had pure Zoners that were among the top 5 chars in the game, as if MK9 had a Zoner in the level of pre-patched Deadshot in terms of viability, but like I said it is false. So in MKX, characters who can Zone and are strong (which is a lot, as MKX is a very balanced game) can also Rushdown, and that is true in MK9 as well. Only difference that MK9 had pure Zoners in general, but they weren't as strong.

As for Reptile in MKX, yes he has all of the strings and normals, and yes his mixups are very good, but his Zoning is the better playstyle. His projectiles in the game are his main tools to control the pace of the match, just like in MK9. Also, his Acid Spit is a High in both MK9 and MKX, and Reptile doesn't need to run to get damage of off Forceball, and as a Reptile player, if I manage to keep my opponent too far from me, I don't need to run just to catch him after a Forceball just to get a combo, I only go for a combo when my opponent got into a mid-screen distance (more or less) before I go for a combo, otherwise I will go for an Acid Spit or a D2. And yes, I do go for Acid Spit after a Forceball, either right after the Forceball, or I can get a full combo off the Forceball that ends in an Acid Spit (if my opponent is close enough), after which I can go back to the Zoning and/or Keepaway as I've managed to push my opponent full screen away from me. Also in MKX, you can stop the Forceballs in their place, so you can catch people who think they will be able to jump over the Forceballs, increasing his space control and Zoning even further. And for the record, Reptile doesn't need to use the Run mechanic in general, he cam use the Reptilian Dash which is an excellent mobility tool. All of the strings he had are indeed great tools, and they're all either fast, safe or plus indeed, but in general, Reptile is the same char in both MK9 and MKX, a versatile character with Zoning, pace control and mobility being his best tools, not his mixups.
All I need to say about this whole post is mk9 kenshi was way better than deadshot! And mk9 kenshi wasn't nearly as good upclose so to win with him was PURE zoning now combine that with Mkx kenshi another pure zoner (balanced) you see what I'm saying now? But since zoning sucks in Mkx guess what kenshi gets to make him good? You guessed it a 50/50 based character with possessed smh that's one character that I can dissect outta way too many any discussion afterwards is feeble and doesn't prove anything that I have just said is inaccurate or that Mkx is dumbed down to just run in do a 50/50 and be plus or safe to armor after wards and loop isn't true

Additionally, and this may be a bad idea, but in THEORY id like to see it.. I want characters to have somewhat larger, more diverse movesets.. a shift away from specialty characters and a little more room to play characters in a broader range of playstyles.
like for instance 2 stances with 2 different play styles? kinda like mkda?
yeah that would be amazing!

I would want jade... may she return in mk11 to play like mournful with Glaive combo potential and some of dragon naginatas combo strings or just some new strings altogether

hkriderz

Lin Kuei Scum, yellow robot enthusiast
I want Mk11 to be no 50 50s, no run button, with pushblock, and just mk9 style neutral. Characters I want Noob, Rain, Taven, Jade, and Havik. And Just give erron a decent mid and a safe special and give him awesome scarecrow like customizable gear, and Ill be happy. ;) Also the return of the dark forest stage (love that theme). pls NRS:D

EDIT- Also More creative shit like atom, stuff like that is hype to watch

BurdaA

Frost-Byte
I’d like Kotal back, felt like a nice addition design wise and hella fun to play. Preferably based on blood god, but likely war/sun.

Other than that, give me reptile and ermac back. Team Outworld!!

Marinjuana

Up rock incoming, ETA 5 minutes
Shang Tsung would be nice. Zoning/spacing playstyle. I don't mean Deadshot/Jaqui pew pew either, more like Dhalsim/Glacius style zoning. Something slower and harder to master but very effective once you learn how to do it. Maybe give him some good reaching normals for spacing/footsies too.

Maybe the single fire ball would be fast, and they get slower as you get to the double or triple with the plus side being that the double and triple travel slower which occupy much of the screen at once and prevent jumpins. His rising fireballs from MK3 would be sick too, obviously different input for close/mid/far, make them so they can also anti-air if timed right, can lead to juggle combos. May sound strong but they can have a decent start up time, that way if you pull it of and it AA's, you are being rewarded greatly for reading the jump in.

Not sure what to do with his soul stealing powers anymore though. Shinnok kind of jacked it's purpose with the move steal thing in a way. Obviously he can't transform into every character and turning into just the opponent's character won't do you much good unless you are a pro who can master every character lol

I would make his Soul Steal a command grab that takes a chunk of the opponent's meter and gives it to Tsung, while the EX version could steal a fat chunk of health instead. So you go for the grabs to get the meter, to spend the meter on getting your health back up BUT you obviously have to be close to do it which is hard since Tsung will want to keep you out with his fireballs. This would not restand btw.
If you ask me, if you aren't going to give Shang Tsung the ability to transform in every character, at least in the way he had it in MK9, then you might as well not include him.

Shinnok probably won't return anyway.

Yoaks

A spaceman
I just want Ferra/Torr, Baraka(have a feeling hes gone for good), Nightwolf, Sektor, Cyrax, Kenshi and Mileena back and in the roster.

Need better defensive options. Can we also get legit grapplers too? Like Commando Kano was a great start. And make command grabs actual command grabs. Not what Hellboy/Harley/Ivy etc. currently have.

Different archetypes like someone said earlier.

Roy Arkon

All I need to say about this whole post is mk9 kenshi was way better than deadshot! And mk9 kenshi wasn't nearly as good upclose so to win with him was PURE zoning now combine that with Mkx kenshi another pure zoner (balanced) you see what I'm saying now? But since zoning sucks in Mkx guess what kenshi gets to make him good? You guessed it a 50/50 based character with possessed smh that's one character that I can dissect outta way too many any discussion afterwards is feeble and doesn't prove anything that I have just said is inaccurate or that Mkx is dumbed down to just run in do a 50/50 and be plus or safe to armor after wards and loop isn't true
MK9 Kenshi, as I've said earlier (and that was said by Ketchup as well) wasn't a pure Zoner. Yes his best tools were his Zoning tools but his up close tools were still good enough, thus he wasn't a pure Zoner. So MK9 Kenshi and Balanced Kenshi in MKX aren't the same char in general. So no, your point wasn't proven. If you basically ignore almost all of the points I've made and make another point that was already proven wrong (because once again, MK9 Kenshi wasn't a pure Zoner, as I've said before), your point wasn't proven.

Any character that a pure Zoner in MK9 wasn't good, and by "pure", the meaning is for chars who could've only Zone but not do anything else. Just like in MKX. All what happened in MKX is that the Rushdown was a lot stronger then in MK9, and there were some pure Zoners in MK9, but the Zoning in MKX is still great in the same way it was in MK9. If only the chars in MK9 who could've both Zone and Rush were strong, it is not that different then what is going on in MKX. And no, MKX isn't dumped down, it has way more depth and harder then MK9.

Last edited:

Daemantalo

Not Good Enough
Anyone who has the same type of playstyle as Cybernetic Kano I’d be so happy with. The fast mid projectiles and the fact he was safe on so many strings without having 50/50s was fantastic for me.

Jelan

Aquaman is dead lel
I just hope we will have tools similar to RC / NDC. They were super fun for me to get down and use. Preferably still with Johnny but I would be fine with Liu and Kabal or a new comer as well.