What's new

The one thing I actually wanted brought from INJ to MK - TRAITS

Braindead

I want Kronika to step on my face
Pfft. Avalanche is best in all matchups.

Why?

Cause creeping ice allows safety always.
Slide > shoulder. Always.
I wish it worked like that lol. I agree creeping ice making things safe is awesome, and I like slide a lot more than shoulder but shoulder has a lot of better uses.

DoW in general can steal a lot more turns with ex ice ball and deal a lot more damage, including unbreakable, every time than avalanche and thin ice.

Creeping ice on it's own isn't enough to make avalanche a better variation, and in many MUs trap becomes semi-useless so all avalanche has left is creeping ice.

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
I like both Traits and the variation system.

Traits would be fun in MK, although I feel like if it replaced the variation system it'd just be swapping out one thing people complain about with another new thing for people to complain about.

Ck AeroVoid

Mk Casual, KI God
I like both Traits and the variation system.

Traits would be fun in MK, although I feel like if it replaced the variation system it'd just be swapping out one thing people complain about with another new thing for people to complain about.
People will complain, NO matter what

Gooberking

FGC Cannon Fodder
I said many, not everyone. Read the thread and see how many people agree with me.

Really well thought out retort, btw. Excellent contribution to the thread.
Well I did read the tread, and my contribution was simple; among yet another variations are stupid thread, not everyone feels that way.

If it's important that everyone meaningfully contribute, then I can do that. Starting with how the title paints this as an "I love traits" discussion that was really just using them to have yet another "I hate variations" one.

You immediately came out trivializing a system that some people do find value in and assert often rebutted opinions as facts, and the entire discussion up till my post slid right into Variation discussion, not trait discussion; even though one has little to do with the other. Calling something "trash" people use and like using just serves to put down something you don't personally like along with everyone that disagrees with you. It's not a great position to start a discussion in, unless the goal is to only talk with people that already agree.

When it comes traits we are largely talking about special moves or state shifting you can only use every once and awhile instead of all the time. They are a novel take on special moves that can, but don't inherently have to enrich a character's depth of play. In a lot of cases they didn't. The framing of the discussion also glosses over the fact that IJ2 had both variations and traits (I guess you did bring up IJ not IJ2 mostly). MK11's variations are actually way more like competitively approved gear loadouts than MKX variations. In IJ2 it was actually really annoying to not have access to any of the move candy, and it made the game (personally speaking) feel like we were playing with watered down base versions of characters in competitive modes. Perception or Reality? Don't know, but it was way too easy to feel like you weren't getting the full experience playing competitive modes, and the solution we got for variations was basically one many people were asking for.

When it comes to Traits on their own, sure, they can be cool. Do I think they belong in MK? Not really, but don't hate the idea either. I don't think they have anything to do with variations outside of maybe a discussion on degree of difficulty for balancing characters.

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
I wish it worked like that lol. I agree creeping ice making things safe is awesome, and I like slide a lot more than shoulder but shoulder has a lot of better uses.

DoW in general can steal a lot more turns with ex ice ball and deal a lot more damage, including unbreakable, every time than avalanche and thin ice.

Creeping ice on it's own isn't enough to make avalanche a better variation, and in many MUs trap becomes semi-useless so all avalanche has left is creeping ice.
I'll take safety and hit confirms over risky damage every time.

And there's no argument, at least to me, where shoulder ever > slide.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
I love not having to deal with customs like mk9, but IMO that give the character less "SHAZAAM" (4 lack of better terms)
I personally say, Costoms only,
Everyone picks top moves in a vote
those become tourney Variation
So long as the customs are properly balanced, my only concern really but I just want them to keep it simple and not go overboard like they did with MK 11 you know? Or just give us the simplicity of oldschool mk. Everyone has unique moves.