What's new

The Official & Final Evo 2016 Brackets

ForeverKing

Patreon.com/MK_ForeverKing
Because the people who do well at tournaments are least likely to need help with climbing out of pools. That's what's ass backwards about it. People earn spots by fighting out of their pool, not booking a hotel room. What is the point of pools if you're just going to set it up so the same names have the best chance of proceeding? Again this is no better than people like Hbox and Leffen asking to not have to do pools because they think themselves better than the peons.
Seeding is not about giving the top players an easy bracket. The whole point of seeding is to seperate the top players.

You want the top 8 of Evo to be the best players in the tournament. You dont want to see for example Sonicfox send A Foxy Grampa to loser's in pools, then Scar eliminate Foxy in top 128. That would be ridiculous.

If there was no seeding and the whole bracket was RNG, you would have alot of top players eliminating eachother early and lesser-skilled players making it farther in the bracket with an easier path.

SZSR

Noob
Again this is no better than people like Hbox and Leffen asking to not have to do pools because they think themselves better than the peons.
The situation is not so simple as thinking themselves better. Hungrybox has gone on record saying burnout especially for players who attend multiple tournaments is exhausting in multiple ways, so I don't mis-represent what he says I'll simply copy it for you here.

Mango: Has a kid at home, a large stream audience he needs to constantly entertain

Armada/Leffen: International travel is by no means a necessarily pleasant process, streams to support livelihoods, more strict practice regimes

Hungrybox: I work full time, sometimes I will leave a tournament monday morning at 5AM to get into work at 8:30 AM and stay until 5PM with two hours of sleep

Mew2King: Also a stream to manage, travels A TON, enters MULTIPLE games which requires twice as much travel organization and community interactions

PPMD: Currently dealing with mental health; tournament attendance greatly affects it, let alone a tournament loss
People who have, for lack of a better term, "real lives" for the most part can attend a couple of tournaments a year and can walk away scot-free health-wise no worse for wear.

It is the consistent players who have sacrificed and as a result earn these top-seed placings by continuing their own legacy.

I don't think all the situations mentioned above applies to the players at hand, but it is wise to use your own judgement in these situations.

Do I agree necessarily that they should have a "free-pass" for pools? No I do not.

But I do not believe a "free-pass" is what being asked for in terms of player seeding.

Colest

Mid-Tier 'Mancer Main
Because there are 50 pools and seeding by region has always been a thing.
Seeding by region has occurred. It just hasn't occurred to the manner in which it maximizes the opportunity for as many UK players to have the best chance to get out of pools without entering losers which is your issue. Be honest next time where your motivations lie.

PND_Ketchup

"More deadly than the dawn"
Seeding by region has occurred. It just hasn't occurred to the manner in which it maximizes the opportunity for as many UK players to have the best chance to get out of pools without entering losers which is your issue. Be honest next time where your motivations lie.
Seeding by region is not putting two players of the same country in the same pool in a tournament with 50 pools.

Colest

Mid-Tier 'Mancer Main
Seeding is not about giving the top players an easy bracket. The whole point of seeding is to seperate the top players. You want the top 8 of Evo to be the best players in the tournament.
This is the disconnect though. Mild seeding (what the brackets look like now) has added what you describe BUT more seeding doesn't ensure the best results for top 8. It ensures the people who traditionally have done will have the best chance at proceed. Many of those people could be the best but just as many could be off their game and don't deserve a relatively free pass into top 128. What heavy seeding does FOR CERTAIN is ensure the same names have the highest chance of making it to top placings. "Coincidentally" the people arguing for heavier seeding are those people.

You dont want to see for example Sonicfox send A Foxy Grampa to loser's in pools, then Scar eliminate Foxy in top 128. That would be ridiculous.
In that scenario, Scar would have to have been sent to losers as well in pools so it's unlikely anyway; however, people get fucked by the bracket every tournament. Saying people who are popular should be exempt from this is just plain elitism.

If there was no seeding and the whole bracket was RNG, you would have alot of top players eliminating eachother early and lesser-skilled players making it farther in the bracket with an easier path.
Lesser known =/= lesser skilled. I'm also not arguing for no seeding rather than everyone who's a fan favorite on TYM getting their own comfy ride to top 128.

Colest

Mid-Tier 'Mancer Main
Seeding by region is not putting two players of the same country in the same pool in a tournament with 50 pools.
They're not all in the same pool. Seeding has occurred. Seeding by region doesn't necessarily mean they each get their own pool.

Colest

Mid-Tier 'Mancer Main
JTB and I are even on the same side of our pool.
I don't khow specific details about the bracket software's seeding algorithm; however, generally what it likely does is to assign integers for everything that they take into consideration for bracket layout: region, tournament history, family, etc and give thode integers weight versus each other and versus the RNG. The higher their weight versus the RNG is the heavier the seeding. So seeding in your case has occured just either:

A) Regions aren't weighted as heavily versus the RNG as you'd like
B) You statistically got a less than ideal situation

In either case, seeding has occured. I would also submit that while statistically speaking the odds are lower for you and JTB to get this situation, it is very high (again depending on the weight of the seeding algorithm) that someone would get statistically fucked. My issue is that people who are big names seem to think that they should be immune from that which I don't agree with.

PND_Ketchup

"More deadly than the dawn"
I don't khow specific details about the bracket software's seeding algorithm; however, generally what it likely does is to assign integers for everything that they take into consideration for bracket layout: region, tournament history, family, etc and give thode integers weight versus each other and versus the RNG. The higher their weight versus the RNG is the heavier the seeding. So seeding in your case has occured just either:

A) Regions aren't weighted as heavily versus the RNG as you'd like
B) You statistically got a less than ideal situation

In either case, seeding has occured. I would also submit that while statistically speaking the odds are lower for you and JTB to get this situation, it is very high (again depending on the weight of the seeding algorithm) that someone would get statistically fucked. My issue is that people who are big names seem to think that they should be immune from that which I don't agree with.
You also made the false statement that I just wanted the UK to have a higher chance to get further in pools, which is not my intention at all.

Colest

Mid-Tier 'Mancer Main
You also made the false statement that I just wanted the UK to have a higher chance to get further in pools, which is not my intention at all.
Well I mean I don't see you campaigning for Yomi to be split up in J304 (before it's said yes I know MIT isn't in Atlanta) or Canada getting split up in K303 or L306. You only had an issue with your bracket and the bracket of other UK players. I stand to gain nothing from this thread, you stand to gain something you feel is valuable. It begs questions.

Tanno

The Fantasy is the Reality of the Mind
Good luck to you guys. I see that a Greek is taking part there.

I noticed a very few American names that look like Greek to me, and especially Tom Brady's.

Καλή τύχη, Πέρη.