What's new

The Official Bird Lao Nest

Obs_SmSwag

"I have good taste because I like what I like"
LBSH, footsies Lao is only ass against people who use low hitbox characters and have good footsies. I'm gonna rep a footsies style Lao until I quit this game, I feel retarted whenever I try Bird-Laoing (it's a verb, ya bish).

coolwhip

Noob
That matchup is insane.

I play them both, so IMO, I think it's a match of momentum. Even as the number 4.
Kitty can punish Lao just as bad as Lao can punish Kitty. Neither one of them has any armor to get them out of pressure (although the pushback on EX Spin at least gives Lao room to breathe), Kitty can iAFan, but Lao can Bird his way over the Fans if he spaces and paces himself right, and they break almost down the center on damage.
They have an answer for almost everything the other can do.

Momentum. First to strike better not let go of the throttle.
I think Kitana punishes Lao worse than he punishes her. She flat out out-damages him. Lao actually has armor on his EX teleport, and despite the push-back, EX spin is still full combo punishable so I'm not sure about having room to breathe.

Additionally, she controls the air against him which is a huge blow for a character like Kung Lao, whose main strength is mobility and air control. Jump at the wrong moment, and she just took over 30% of your life with one air fan. Even if she's spamming fans and Lao times his tele 3 to kick her out of the air, he's really only done 11% damage and didn't gain much else given that he's not exactly in.

She has better footsies and better pokes as well, and that's huge in this match-up. His standing 2 just isn't as effective in this match-up, and her 21 and F21 are annoying as hell for him. Taking risks with spin is almost not worth the risk/reward against her.

I honestly believe this is one of Kung Lao's hardest match-ups. It's a healthy 6-4 in her favor.

LesMore

Top 8 Injustice Frosty Faustings VII
React. I know it sounds simplistic, but don't jump, don't teleport, don't do much. Just throw hats, roll, pressure her with low hats, you can even cancel roll into low hat (she can't full combo punish it), and punish her hard for block teleports, rolls, or ex teles. The second hit of ex tele should be blocked low, then you can punish with 2 into ex hat for 42%, or D1 into meterless combo. Roll should be punished with jk/dk into f3 spin.

If you cross her up, do jump kick because Mileena players will typically mash D4 to lower their hitbox. You can hit confirm jump kick into dive kick for a full combo.

2/4 low hat is very useful (as I said she can't punish it), and 2/4 overhead puts her at a nice distance to zone with low hats or f3 to get back in.
ummm thank you so much...
I have heard really good players saying that mileena was free to kung lao and I couldn't see it... plus at that time i was nervous to ask because I didn't want to sound ignorant...but all of this makes so much sense...
thankyou

iTz the Badger

6th Best Bane in Idaho
Are there any videos of a good 'bird lao?' I am having a tough time visualizing it being as effective as people say.

Obs_SmSwag

ummm thank you so much...
I have heard really good players saying that mileena was free to kung lao and I couldn't see it... plus at that time i was nervous to ask because I didn't want to sound ignorant...but all of this makes so much sense...
thankyou
Don't throw hats from a distance, mileena can tele kick on reaction. Mileenas free to bird Lao too, since her tele kicks miss Lao's divekick (Though she has instant air sais). Spacing is important because of her long D4, try staying out of D4 range and punish/getting in with roll. Grab if she respects you too much, that's not mu specific though. She's soooo slow that Lao's speed sort of overwhelms her. Be patient and feel out the MU, Lao has more options than she does.

Edit: Also as Coolwhip said, abuse Low hat until she starts punishing with grabs.

coolwhip

Noob
Don't throw hats from a distance, mileena can tele kick on reaction. Mileenas free to bird Lao too, since her tele kicks miss Lao's divekick (Though she has instant air sais). Spacing is important because of her long D4, try staying out of D4 range and punish/getting in with roll. Grab if she respects you too much, that's not mu specific though. She's soooo slow that Lao's speed sort of overwhelms her. Be patient and feel out the MU, Lao has more options than she does.

Edit: Also as Coolwhip said, abuse Low hat until she starts punishing with grabs.
Mileena can punish whiffed JK/DK with a roll on reaction. Bird Lao isn't as effective against her.

But yeah, her normals are just too slow. The 2/4 string should be abused. Her D4 can be annoying but you can block it and counterpoke with D3 (even her D4 is neutral on block, Lao's D3 is faster at 9 frames). If she gets too trigger happy with D4 there's always the threat of the spin, though I really don't think Kung Lao needs to check her with a spin. He can just play safer.

Ninj

Where art thou, MKX Skarlet?
Maybe I'm misunderstanding... but doesn't a backwards jump into instant air projectile stop bird lao and let you combo him if your projectile allows it? Pig Of The Hut

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
Yum. Hawk Cyrax was hungry.
If going Hawk entails what I think it does, I think you and I are on the same page, sir.

They don't knooooooow...who we beeeeeeeeeeee...

Also: there CANNOT be a Bird Lao thread without this:

That's right. Now it's in your head. Forever.

coolwhip

Noob
By the way LesMore, a lot of Mileena players who don't know any better think her tele/ex tele on hit provides her with a safe jump. That is not true, and you can still spin her if she jumps at you. Obviously, this doesn't happen at the highest possible level since players actually know this, but you'd be surprised with the amount of people who make this mistake.

Obs_SmSwag

Damn, never even thought about roll that way, you're right. But yeah i'd say instant air projectiles can prevent Bird Lao from starting, Idk about doing it once he's already so close to you. They'd risk taking a pretty descent combo.

Just wanted to point out that I predicted Lao was gonna win evo 2013 in this thread. Ima fucking genious. The prophet SoulBound