What's new

The Official Bird Lao Nest

Bildslash

Goro Lives 
This is like the third Bird Lao or Parakeet Lao user that is banned from TYM. What's the deal with that?

Anyway, my only contribution is that birding online seems to be not as powerful as it would be offline. Maybe it's just me, but I can't get the JKxDK at exactly the right height, I'm always doing them a bit higher which hurts the strat.

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
Lt. Box Rofl. Almost spit out some sushi.
I should've made Mileena's extra big and added a of me screaming behind her. Lao's the reason I dropped her ages ago.

Now Pig HAS to win EVO, so nerfed/debilitated/IWishIWasStill1.04Lao Kung Lao can give the ultimate eff you to all the collective haters by being the ONLY MK character ever to win it.

Oh man.

coolwhip

Noob
I'll say this about "Bird Lao". At least the MKC is done pretending the fabled "footsies Lao" is good.
I don't think Bird Lao is bulletproof. Far from it. And it's useless in some match-ups (Kitana or even Mileena), but Kung Lao is a mobility character, and jumping around the screen like a maniac actually seems like a better idea than playing footsies with mediocre pokes and standing normals that can be poked out of. I mean whether it was exact "Bird Lao'ing" or not, that's kinda what the EVO champ did two years in a row and it paid off.

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
I don't think Bird Lao is bulletproof. Far from it. And it's useless in some match-ups (Kitana or even Mileena), but Kung Lao is a mobility character, and jumping around the screen like a maniac actually seems like a better idea than playing footsies with mediocre pokes and standing normals that can be poked out of. I mean whether it was exact "Bird Lao'ing" or not, that's kinda what the EVO champ did two years in a row and it paid off.
Y'know what the Regular Lao V Bird Lao debate reminds me of?
The old wars of words and giant debates during the Tom Brady V Denzell feud over rushdown Sub V Brady Style Sub.
The goal isn't to decide which way is better, because it's impossible to pinpoint.
The goal is to take the best of both sides of the coin, lay them in an egg, and make them one.

Although right now, Bird Lao is looking pretty damn good...even though as you put, there are certain matchups like the Princesses, Cage, even Ermac and Rain to an extent, that such a playstyle would almost certainly hinder him in.

(I still think that was MK's best feud ever, along with Junior VS Tyrant and Curbo VS The World.)

coolwhip

Noob
Y'know what the Regular Lao V Bird Lao debate reminds me of?
The old wars of words and giant debates during the Tom Brady V Denzell feud over rushdown Sub V Brady Style Sub.
The goal isn't to decide which way is better, because it's impossible to pinpoint.
The goal is to take the best of both sides of the coin, lay them in an egg, and make them one.

Although right now, Bird Lao is looking pretty damn good...even though as you put, there are certain matchups like the Princesses, Cage, even Ermac and Rain to an extent, that such a playstyle would almost certainly hinder him in.

(I still think that was MK's best feud ever, along with Junior VS Tyrant and Curbo VS The World.)
I actually think it works very well against Cage. But Ermac, Kitana, Kabal, Meleena...not so much. Though in fairness, he doesn't need to do anything against Mileena.

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
I actually think it works very well against Cage. Ermac, Kitana, Kabal, Meleena...not so much. Though in fairness, he doesn't need to do anything against Mileena.
I only say Cage because if Johnny blocks a Dive Kick, it's gonna HURT for Lao with the right amount of bars and luck.

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
so then how does lao play the kit matchup then if birding won't help much?
That matchup is insane.

I play them both, so IMO, I think it's a match of momentum. Even as the number 4.
Kitty can punish Lao just as bad as Lao can punish Kitty. Neither one of them has any armor to get them out of pressure (although the pushback on EX Spin at least gives Lao room to breathe), Kitty can iAFan, but Lao can Bird his way over the Fans if he spaces and paces himself right, and they break almost down the center on damage.
They have an answer for almost everything the other can do.

Momentum. First to strike better not let go of the throttle.

LesMore

Top 8 Injustice Frosty Faustings VII
I actually think it works very well against Cage. But Ermac, Kitana, Kabal, Meleena...not so much. Though in fairness, he doesn't need to do anything against Mileena.
What should lao do against Mileena????
I can not beat her for the life of me...
It's making me so angry...

coolwhip

Noob
What should lao do against Mileena????
I can not beat her for the life of me...
It's making me so angry...
React. I know it sounds simplistic, but don't jump, don't teleport, don't do much. Just throw hats, roll, pressure her with low hats, you can even cancel roll into low hat (she can't full combo punish it), and punish her hard for block teleports, rolls, or ex teles. The second hit of ex tele should be blocked low, then you can punish with 2 into ex hat for 42%, or D1 into meterless combo. Roll should be punished with jk/dk into f3 spin.

If you cross her up, do jump kick because Mileena players will typically mash D4 to lower their hitbox. You can hit confirm jump kick into dive kick for a full combo.

2/4 low hat is very useful (as I said she can't punish it), and 2/4 overhead puts her at a nice distance to zone with low hats or f3 to get back in.

Axel_Redd

Vampire Jesus....he wants YOUR blood now!!
i wonder...is it possible to activate EX teleport within a minimum 2frame window? or maybe 3-4?

G4S Claude VonStroke

@MK_ClaudeVS on twitter
Hold up, do y'all wanna learn a new dance?
Are you qualified to learn one? That's what I thought
Who can dance out there? Okay, we gonna try a new dance
And if I don't see everybody doin' it, I don't wanna see you no more
Jellybean, are we ready? Y'all better do this one
What time is it? Alright, y'all got 10 seconds
To get to the dance floor and whawk
America, have you heard?
I got a brand new dance and it's called "The Bird"
You don't need no finesse or no personality
You just need two arms and an attitude
And everybody sing with me, come on now
Whawk! Hallelujah! Whoa