What's new

The New Variations/Balance Adjustment Hype and Discussion Thread

DeftMonk

Noob
Maybe it is, we need to see if they changed anything about the ninjas. I was just saying that i love how it is basically a reference to mk1-mk2 Shang move list.
not really.... These moves are just specials such as sorcerer rush just with a skin. The soul steal made for nice frame traps and other things honestly sad to see it go in that variation.

ABACABB

End Of Humanity
I think this ninja shang will not be that great .... Sure he cant be zoned but what else ? Reptile slide is slow and punishable , rest are just combo extenders . His normals are not that great , Without corpse drop and ground fbs he will have nothing scary in neutral .

will they even make any balances to the current variations with the third variation patch beside the jax and liu nerf? i feel like there is way more changes for other characters that is needed.

LawAbidingCitizen

Bomb Setups & Ball Rolls(Mileena/Cyrax)
I think this ninja shang will not be that great .... Sure he cant be zoned but what else ? Reptile slide is slow and punishable , rest are just combo extenders . His normals are not that great , Without corpse drop and ground fbs he will have nothing scary in neutral .
The moves will be different. They adjusted many moves for example Sub Zero's Trap and Ice Spike have different frame data. In the video the low low combos but in current build of the game it doesn't combo from F2. They changed several moves so the character is more functional and has a different playstyle.

I'm sure a few characters could have had better moves. I expected Kabal to get Air Gas Blast and Air Hook but it looks like he got ground gas and air hook which is a bummer but I think it can be useful and interesting.
Many characters will benefit from 3rd Variations and frame data adjustments most notibly:
Kitana, Kano, Kotal, Shao, Sub, Scorpion, Jacqui, Jax.
I know for a fact many characters benefit in several ways just from those abilities alone yet somehow I seen some claim their character doesn't. In another thread someone said kano won't be good before patch even released even though Snakebite gives him a launcher for high damage off every string he has. One if the worst things about kano was high risk low reward doing stuff like D1xxKanoBall but in his 3rd he has legit options that are not very risky and gets 30-40%.
Even his D1xxanythingxxSnakebite is monumentally better than his other two variations since he gets good damage off a fast mid they can't duck and has a way to enforce his other strings now they have a larger threat and layer and I'm sure OS

Here is Tom Brady's breakdown of how much Sub Zero benefits from his 3rd variation:

If you remember K&M's V3 speculation vids on YouTube you will understand a great portion of the cast got his speculated changes and almost every one of them benefits in several ways:

kinger

Noob
Kanos f1 is now a 13 frame advancing mid that is plus 1 on block. He has a 10 b1. Where are the patch notes would like to read them

Ermac's Lift can make it tough to get in

xKMMx

Banned
No ETA? :(
I'm actually happy with most of these new variations. Kabal got what I wanted, Liu Kang is gonna be crazy, Jacqui has fullscreen combos into 40%+, Kollector moved up tiers, Kitana actually has combos.

I just wanna see the full thing and the frame data changes. Happy for everyone though.
Looks like I'm back to Jacqui lmao

xKMMx

Banned
We need Ground Pound and Teleport in a variation.
Dude you have it good. Don't get greedy. You have more than enough tools to win from full screen and play keep away when someone gets in close not to mention a low to overhead KB. Very nice well designed character. Be thankful.

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
Ninja Shang is definitely the winner of the "This does NOT feel like the same character but in a good way" contest. Not having to worry about "can I play my opponent's variation if I Soul Steal?" because I've got the Lift, which comes with a combo. Sweet Chin Music and cancel shenanigans and all that. My Slide is a low AND has an Amp AND it's Reptile. I get one of the most useful parries ever made in the Smoke Shake. All of that on top of his already good buttons? Sheeeeeeit...