What's new

The New Variation Will Be Meh

ExpectFlames

Lord of embers
This might be better than reborn tbh, he does more damage for one bar has the same reset but it's +21, multiple mixups options, and safe block into -2 on block or +21 on hit poke and he can cancel it. He can hit confirm strings or make them safe. sin blade can be said is probably a better tool than the air grab. I'm interested if he's keeping db1 into 3 frames because it looks pretty good right now.
Hopefully they adjust SB it's not consistent :(

Scoot Magee

But I didn't want to dash
I disagree. F3 xxmb 3 jails on block and cant be flawless blocked. Only fatal blow can interrupt but the timing is really tight. F3 staggers will be strong mixed with that plus 20 on hit option. It's only -2 on block... you can also delay it plus hes got the other options. I think his offense with be pretty strong. Blocked hit confirms can lead to shimmies and ect. I wouldnt jump the gun so quickly.

The downfall to mb 3 is the short range. If you cancel too far and whiff the 3 it can be whiff punished. Still in the corner or with good spacing it works great.

Obviously this is in the games current state. We will see what changes.

Last edited:

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
IMO, if you're talking pure efficiency, it feels like it's not good enough to give up the Telecancel or the Spaghetti moves.
But time will tell, and they could both be buffed for all we know now.

Scoot Magee

I think people are underestimating the cancel. It allows you to hit confirm safely with the threat of a plus 20 on hit move if they challenge the stance. If they dont challenge you dont completely lose your position on screen like you do in reborn.

Skryba

Noob
I think people are underestimating the cancel. It allows you to hit confirm safely with the threat of a plus 20 on hit move if they challenge the stance. If they dont challenge you dont completely lose your position on screen like you do in reborn.
Yeah, if misery blade remains the same as it is now, the fact that you can end select strings (most importantly B1,4 and F4,2) on either cancel or just enter stance and finish the blockstring with tsuka or delay into it will make his offensive game up close that much better.

Any tsuka hit = jailing for 2,1 or throw or F4,2.

Any of the important strings can be made -2 or -1, depending on timing and opponent and range, without any defensive meter use, and a not easy to react to -2 either, as the animation is very short and blockstun isn't all that high (about 22 frames in total, counting tsuka's startup, active frames and recovery), so if you condition your opponent with cancels and delayed tsukas you'll have a scary stagger game up close, coupled with scorpion's already impressive stagger game at mid distance with B1 and F3.

1,1,Tsuka makes his auto shimmy a lot better, too. Suddenly instead of getting 100dmg and a knockdown out of 1,1,2 you get about half the damage but with a standing reset at +20. On block you're also -2 instead of -6, which makes a world of difference, and you have the threat of cancel > throw at your disposal.

Having a +1 B1,4 instead of returning to long range means you can suddenly change from a very controlled footsies-range game to an up close offensive pressure game out of a hit confirmable mid.

And on top of all that, sin blade adds damage to reborn's damage potential (about 40 extra damage in bnb's) and tsuka makes all enhanced spear standing resets a bit more damaging as well and even more + than with S4 alone.

The remaining misery blade moves are really just extra utility that may end up being useful to close out rounds with a surprising 50/50, even if they're unsafe as all hell.

Only thing that I see hindering this variation is Tsuka's hitbox being inconsistent and matchup dependant after blocked B1,4. From what I've tested, against certain characters (shao Kahn and liu Kang, for example) B1,4,Tsuka won't reach on block at all and against a few others it only seems to reach if you delay Tsuka enough that they stand block it (if they simply hold low block it'll whiff).
I'm hoping this gets looked at and the hitbox is increased ever so slightly that it isn't an issue, but if it remains as is B1,4,Tsuka may not be reliable =/

Last edited:

Scoot Magee

Yeah, if misery blade remains the same as it is now, the fact that you can end select strings (most importantly B1,4 and F4,2) on either cancel or just enter stance and finish the blockstring with tsuka or delay into it will make his offensive game up close that much better.

Any tsuka hit = jailing for 2,1 or throw or F4,2.

Any of the important strings can be made -2 or -1, depending on timing and opponent and range, without any defensive meter use, and a not easy to react to -2 either, as the animation is very short and blockstun isn't all that high (about 22 frames in total, counting tsuka's startup, active frames and recovery), so if you condition your opponent with cancels and delayed tsukas you'll have a scary stagger game up close, coupled with scorpion's already impressive stagger game at mid distance with B1 and F3.

1,1,Tsuka makes his auto shimmy a lot better, too. Suddenly instead of getting 100dmg and a knockdown out of 1,1,2 you get about half the damage but with a standing reset at +20. On block you're also -2 instead of -6, which makes a world of difference, and you have the threat of cancel > throw at your disposal.

Having a +1 B1,4 instead of returning to long range means you can suddenly change from a very controlled footsies-range game to an up close offensive pressure game out of a hit confirmable mid.

And on top of all that, sin blade adds damage to reborn's damage potential (about 40 extra damage in bnb's) and tsuka makes all enhanced spear standing resets a bit more damaging as well and even more + than with S4 alone.

The remaining misery blade moves are really just extra utility that may end up being useful to close out rounds with a surprising 50/50, even if they're unsafe as all hell.

Only thing that I see hindering this variation is Tsuka's hitbox being inconsistent and matchup dependant after blocked B1,4. From what I've tested, against certain characters (shao Kahn and liu Kang, for example) B1,4,Tsuka won't reach on block at all and against a few others it only seems to reach if you delay Tsuka enough that they stand block it (if they simply hold low block it'll whiff).
I'm hoping this gets looked at and the hitbox is increased ever so slightly that it isn't an issue, but if it remains as is B1,4,Tsuka may not be reliable =/
I played a few matches with mb last night and started to see a lot of possibilities. Hes even got corner mix off the plus 20 with short hops and f4.

The sin blade damage is a big plus with his new bnb combos. I think it will be a pretty decent tool in neutral as well. Scorpion now has a meterless launcher.

Mb3 not reaching after b14 can be annoying but at least it still hits if they challenge with d1. This makes it so that you still get some respect when you go into mb.

Anyway I cant wait to see what it's going to officially be like after the balance changes. I really hope they let the game rock for a bit. I feel the 2bd set of balance changes is coming a bit quicker than I'd prefer. I am happy about extra variations, though.

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
do his MB options lead to actual meterless damage akin to like... noobs f221 slide MB?

If not ... Reborn is still just going to be better. He has double OS to stay safe in block and can shimmy just the same.

It would actually be cool if MB removed the need to Amp spear to keep a combo though. Like have MB 3 able to link into spear and it capture. Only off MB moves would the spear recapture.

anywho.

Chernyy Volk

Wolf lord, footsie bully, chronic corner abuser.
All you do is bitch and moan but cant even give a legit reason on how its so bad LMFAO
Misery Blade 3 whiffs on block strings against half the cast so any pressure is beaten by just back dashing, in which case they have to commit to the death on block overhead.

NjP doesn't beat wakeup d2's or u2's

Any character with a 9f mid can simply mash their way out of any cancel and full combo you. All you can do to check it is d1, which is beaten by microwalks into said 9f mid.

You can't NjP people who breakaway teleport so you still can't secure damage on breakaways.

The moves are bad.

MagicMan357

"130 ms is more legit than Labbing" - TYM
Misery Blade 3 whiffs on block strings against half the cast so any pressure is beaten by just back dashing, in which case they have to commit to the death on block overhead.

NjP doesn't beat wakeup d2's or u2's

Any character with a 9f mid can simply mash their way out of any cancel and full combo you. All you can do to check it is d1, which is beaten by microwalks into said 9f mid.

You can't NjP people who breakaway teleport so you still can't secure damage on breakaways.

The moves are bad.
NJP has to beat those specific moves?
youre mad that some moves can beat it?
Youre mad that breakaways are break aways?

Youre just bad at mk

Scoot Magee

Lol no need to attack each other. I did mention that the 3 whiffs in an earlier post, it can definitely be punished. F3 into mb 3 seems to be the most consistent way for it to jail. Still b14 mb seems to have options to respect plus things may be changed.

Orochi

Scorpion Scrub
Lol no need to attack each other. I did mention that the 3 whiffs in an earlier post, it can definitely be punished. F3 into mb 3 seems to be the most consistent way for it to jail. Still b14 mb seems to have options to respect plus things may be changed.
The f3 into mb 3 sounds really good on paper since it's his most used stagger and an advancing mid now you can stagger into mb 3 or mb cancel or finish the string.

Scoot Magee

The f3 into mb 3 sounds really good on paper since it's his most used stagger and an advancing mid now you can stagger into mb 3 or mb cancel or finish the string.
Yeah and it cannot be flawless blocked either which is a big deal imo. Only an extremely well timed fatal blow can interrupt. Also f3 is hit confirmable into the low. Theres an os that was posted on twitter related to this as well.

Daemantalo

Not Good Enough
Pick up a new character or make it work. Man, these bitches complaining about a good character makes me lose my mind when most of us Kano players don't even do as much complaining on a daily basis, if we complain at all.

Appreciate what you have.
We just like to poke fun at ourselves, mostly. It’s a mystery why we play a character that the only way to win is to have the opponent not know the matchup and you not knowing what you’re doing.

I agree with your second paragraph because I play Scorpion as a secondary and Misery Blade is gonna be a lovely addition.

I do respect Chernyy for his hot takes though.