What's new

The New Top Tier Characters (Post East Coast Throwdown)

ZeroSymbolic

Social Justice Barbarian
I think that Ratbag is hella slept on. I'm not saying it's top tier yet, but I committed to maining it this evening, and I beat Liu, Kabal, Jax, Scorpion, Johnny, and Sonya on a winning streak. I think that in a tournament setting he eventually gets downloaded, but online, first to two.... He's got the tools, he's easy mechanically to play, and he does damage. Darkhorse: Ratbag.

LawAbidingCitizen

Bomb Setups & Ball Rolls(Mileena/Cyrax)
@M2Dave I nominate Terminator to Top 10.
  • Its well known V1 has OS's that hurt his F2 & F3 options. But still solid character.
  • V2 Dark Fate is the popular one which is very strong. Amazing KB's, Solid Damage, Godlike AA's and wavedash, Best 50/50's, Solid zoning, footsie and pokes even mids.
But the variation I'm nominating as top 10 is actually my favorite one. Final Judgment.
Like Jacqui in 1stRndKO he is vulnerable to zoning but I'd argue this variation helps with certain weaknesses he has in the others.
In V1 & V2 he lacks fast punishers into solid damage, full screen control, ways to convert off his best mids F4(16f mid) & B3(10f mid) & B1(13f mid)
V3(Final Judgment) fixes that.
With Rolling Ion Grenade he can't convert off everything:
B1
B31
F4
B2
F3
F2

This is very big, not only can he convert off his fast jabs (7f high starter) but he can convert off his best advancing mid (F4 16f mid) and fastest mid (10f mid) and a fast advancing mid(B1 13f mid).
He can also start combos from his true 50/50's that can't be fuzzied with only 1f difference at least not by humans consistently maybe Ninjakilla & Sonic being robots.
Grenades:
  • are +40 on block on setups,
  • are -4 when amped making everything safe.
  • stuff up to 4 WU options on setup, and there are different setups for different WU's.
He also gains Anti Meter setups from Incapacitator Grenade. They can be used to end combo and there are ways to loop the grenades refresh rates to use 3 grenades in succession.
Grenades also make F34 KB viable in real competitive matches. There are ways to use them in combos and can be used from full screen using Grenade setups.

If you can use V2 & V3 for different matchups and have his wavedash down I easily see Terminator being top 10.
His 50/50's are godlike and he Restands from any combo easily making 100% life melts possible.
The easiest restand setups do 60-70% sequences involving 3 forced 50/50's.

Let it be known I think my character is top 10.
Not sure where Dark Fate is since there are OS's for V1/V2 but V3 isn't effected by F3 or F2 OS.

It baffles my mind that some acted like he was bottom 5 on day 2. Strangely enough many said the same about Nightwolf when he first released until top players showed what was possible.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
  • Its well known V1 has OS's that hurt his F2 & F3 options. But still solid character.
  • V2 Dark Fate is the popular one which is very strong. Amazing KB's, Solid Damage, Godlike AA's and wavedash, Best 50/50's, Solid zoning, footsie and pokes even mids.
But the variation I'm nominating as top 10 is actually my favorite one. Final Judgment.
Like Jacqui in 1stRndKO he is vulnerable to zoning but I'd argue this variation helps with certain weaknesses he has in the others.
In V1 & V2 he lacks fast punishers into solid damage, full screen control, ways to convert off his best mids F4(16f mid) & B3(10f mid) & B1(13f mid)
B1
B31
F4
B2
F3
F2

This is very big, not only can he convert off his fast jabs (7f high starter) but he can convert off his best advancing mid (F4 16f mid) and fastest mid (10f mid) and a fast advancing mid(B1 13f mid).
He can also start combos from his true 50/50's that can't be fuzzied with only 1f difference at least not by humans consistently maybe Ninjakilla & Sonic being robots.
Grenades:
  • stuff up to 4 WU options on setup, and there are different setups for different WU's.
He also gains Anti Meter setups from Incapacitator Grenade. They can be used to end combo and there are ways to loop the grenades refresh rates to use 3 grenades in succession.
Grenades also make F34 KB viable in real competitive matches. There are ways to use them in combos and can be used from full screen using Grenade setups.

If you can use V2 & V3 for different matchups and have his wavedash down I easily see Terminator being top 10.
His 50/50's are godlike and he Restands from any combo easily making 100% life melts possible.

Not sure where Dark Fate is since there are OS's for V1/V2 but V3 isn't effected by F3 or F2 OS.

It baffles my mind that some acted like he was bottom 5 on day 2. Strangely enough many said the same about Nightwolf when he first released until top players showed what was possible.
Can you post this in the 3rd variation thread? That’s a good writeup.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
B1
B31
F4
B2
F3
F2

Grenades:

Very good analysis. Have you seen Sonic Fox's Dark Fate, though? He is doing some insane set ups and combos. If you are a Terminator player, the video below is a must watch. This character and variation could be strong in the hands of a player who has a great understanding of the risk versus reward ratio on command throws, 50/50 mix ups, and lots of patience in approaching zoning characters. I am aware and could tell that Hayatei was obviously unfamiliar with the match so we shall see how the character develops.

By the way, following the feedback and criticism, I removed D'Vorah and Frost and added Jax and Sub Zero. I removed descriptions and added variations. I may add detailed descriptions at a later time. I also added an "honorable mentions". Any feedback is welcome again.