What's new

The NEW Kano matchup thread

BlackBryan

B*tch Distributor
Get out of here. Kano is probably the most lag friendly character in the game. Knives are annoyingly hard to react too and good luck punishing upball or even armoring through any of his strings in general
Like i said, lag knives and up balls only get you so far. And if you can't armor through his strings chances are he can't b112 into anything. Landing that combo in lag is near impossible, for me anyway.
And like i said originally, I'm talking about my Kano in this situation. Every player has different advantages and disadvantages in lag. Lag perks are totally dependent on your play style imo.

Swag 1st

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
good luck punishing upball or even armoring through any of his strings in general
I don't get what this has to do with anything. I've played competent Kano players offline and on, and punishing upball doesn't really feel any different either way. And you do realize interrupting his strings are commitments made within a fraction of a split second right? Think about that for a minute.

I remember when people I played online used to claim to no end they'd be able to fuzzy guard Scorpion's mixups on reaction and when they played me offline, proceeded to guess wrong just as much if not more than they did online lol. The only difference there is making reads/commitments online is the mentality behind the players. Randoms in ranked don't give a fuck about upball being -13 on block, they'll keep mashing UF2 all day hoping you botch your punish.

But anyway, I don't really care what the Cage/Kano matchup is, I just feel there's no reason to shit on BlackBryan's opinion. We all saw how many people "inevitably footsied their way in" against Madzin's Noob..

BlackBryan

B*tch Distributor
I don't get what this has to do with anything. I've played competent Kano players offline and on, and punishing upball doesn't really feel any different either way. And you do realize interrupting his strings are commitments made within a fraction of a split second right? Think about that for a minute.

I remember when people I played online used to claim to no end they'd be able to fuzzy guard Scorpion's mixups on reaction and when they played me offline, proceeded to guess wrong just as much if not more than they did online lol. The only difference there is making reads/commitments online is the mentality behind the players. Randoms in ranked don't give a fuck about upball being -13 on block, they'll keep mashing UF2 all day hoping you botch your punish.

But anyway, I don't really care what the Cage/Kano matchup is, I just feel there's no reason to shit on BlackBryan's opinion. We all saw how many people "inevitably footsied their way in" against Madzin's Noob..
Word.
I was on the fence with you foxy.

I have jumped the fence.

Fangoria19

Groovy
I play kano pretty hard and the mu is at least 6-4 JC, he stuffs kano's slow strings every time and can punish upball alot easier than most. Kano's armor is bullshit too so JC can pretty much stuff it even when kano tries to armor out of pressure. A good JC can rape kano anyday just like jax can.

Fangoria19

Groovy
This guy gets it

But in all seriousness....What are Kanos like....stuff? Besides the upball and knives, what does he have? I know he has the moon jump thing....
His good tools are footsies and insta air ball to counter projectiles, other than that, its just gimmicks.

BlackBryan

B*tch Distributor
This guy gets it

But in all seriousness....What are Kanos like....stuff? Besides the upball and knives, what does he have? I know he has the moon jump thing....
A short random list of some sorta sweet Kano facts:

• He has good rushdown. b1 is essentially a poke with good range and crazy recovery.
  • He does pretty decent damage when he gets his hands on you with 33%-34% bnbs and up to 52% corners.
  • His zoning mixup is really good if you know your spacing well enough.
  • Above average mobility.
  • A decent range d4 that can be linked to knives that hit a few high hit box characters even when crouch blocking (EX knife will hit even when crouching on high hit boxes).
  • His d1 is really good for checking.
  • His aa potential is outrageously good considering at full screen he can do a 20% combo without meter, a 25% with 1bar easilly and up to 30% 2 bars if your timing is good enough and you need to end a round
  • Up close of course he can aa you with upball for 11 or double upball for 22 with the right spacing as well as a 24% off standing 1 or b1.
  • If you whiff a linked upball he can jump higher than every other character in the game.

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
Just to add, I didn't realize Bryan was saying Cage/Kano is 5-5 lol, I absolutely think it's in Cage's favor if I had to say, I just don't agree with the idea that it's some autopilot matchup for Cage like most of you are making it out to be. Considering the current pace of the metagame and looking at characters like Sonya and Jax that do what he does better with less risk, yeah there's no point in playing him at the highest level, that doesn't magically make all of his matchups automatic 3-7s all round though.

Just to add, I didn't realize Bryan was saying Cage/Kano is 5-5 lol, I absolutely think it's in Cage's favor if I had to say, I just don't agree with the idea that it's some autopilot matchup for Cage like most of you are making it out to be. Considering the current pace of the metagame and looking at characters like Sonya and Jax that do what he does better with less risk, yeah there's no point in playing him at the highest level, that doesn't magically make all of his matchups automatic 3-7s all round though.
Do you have an xbl account? Ive beaten many of the better known jade players with lots of diff chars. She is not threatening compared to the other chars in this game and yes i know her frame data and tools

Son ov Timett

Bork, No Jin
Knives all day, lbsh if you don't know how to escape cage pressure you're doing it wrong, 11 strings can be upball'd, b1 is an advancing poke with amazing recovery, and kano's rushdown is only slightly lesser than cages while also having a 50/50 (realistically 60/40 considering b2 is 8000 frames) but the fact of the matter is it still exists, slow or not. Also, a note to all kano players. You don't b11. Ever. You b1 hit confirm into 12, and that takes care of ex nut punch or any form of b11-interrupt.

Swag 1st
B2 is basically worthless inside of sweep range, whichup close against Cage is f3, b2 which is as lethargic as Honey Boo Boo. Best bet whilst in the midst of pressure is to d3 with a prayer, or risk whipping out a ball, but Cage can easily delay his pressure inbetween strings to bait, and blow you up even more once he sees you getting froggy. Granted, I don't main this Aussie, but I do fight a high level Cage, and Kano doesn't have an answer for a JC that wags his sneakers in your nose. Bro, I'm a fan, I dig this character, but lets not up play him, he's slower than a snail up a hill of molasses.

You can't say Sonya/Kano is 7/3 in her favor, and put Cage at a 5/5. His pressure is just far more constant and unrelenting. Also, if you do manage to get out of the thespian's incessant knees, Kano can't turn on the burners. Too many gaps in his slow ass strings, an ex nut punch in the gonads awaits. It's bad bruddah.

Also, Kano lacks a solid whiff punisher. 212 and b112 have shit range compared to other punishers. Interspersing a zoning game of knives and lateral ball is good, but once again, you don't want to be rolling at Cage. Even if you are rolling balls deep. :p

You have to base these mus on dozens upon dozens, if not hundreds of games. Perhaps the Cages in question were unfamiliar with the Kano mu?

I'm going to hit up another respected Kano player on xbox in re: this mu, let the deliberation commence!

EGP Wonder_Chef

Official Quan Chi Nerf Demander™
Not even one like?

Kano forum is mean.

Here's what I really think.

Kano can at least build a bit of meter on Cage's approach. Cage has to respect the zoning at least a bit, but he will get in eventually.

Once he's in it's obviously cage's game. As Kano your only advantage is that if you read Cage throwing out a F3 in a neutral situation, Upball SHOULD win. Aside from that, no armor means you have to risk a d3, or possibly throw if you read Cage blocking to bait your downpoke.

For Cage's who try and bait downpokes, d1 xx Upball SHOULD beat all F3 counterpoke attempts, because d1's are generally +1 cancel advantage (I assume this is true of Kano too) and Upball is 8 frames, so the 9 frame F3 won't hit in the 7 frame gap (and most d1/d3 counterpokes won't either unless they have INSANE timing. Once they start expecting the d1 xx upball, you can do d1 > backdash, or d1 > throw, or something.

SatsuiYesHadou

Son ov Timett

Son ov Timett

Bork, No Jin
EGP Wonder_Chef, next time we're all together, run this matchup with Satsui in a first to ten. The lad already reads me like Braille, perhaps you can shed a different beam of light on this bleak mu of despair?

P.S We'll even record it for all the Kanonites out there. ;)

Flagg

Noob
I think Baraka and Jade are way more annoying to fight against with Kano than fighting Cage is.

This whole "once Cage gets in, its over, deeeeeerp"....well arguably once Cage gets in on MOST THE CAST, it's fucking hard to escape.

Some people are still treating the game as if no one has projectiles or decent spacing and all Cage needs to do is dash in twice and its GG.