What's new

Guide - Ancestral The New and Improved Ancestral KJ - Combos, Setups, Vortex/Mixups, Pressure [Video]

xGunShow

Toronto, Canada @GunShowXO
Hey guys

I've been using a lot of Ancestral KJ since the new patch dropped. I see a lot of potential in this Variation (with the few but very effective changes it received) and thought I would share a couple of things I've found in the past week. I know a lot of people are interested in picking the Variation up but don't know where to start.

Also, Combining his Changes with some of the General Game Changes make it even better.

General Game Changes
  • Increased energy cost to start running to 25 (up from 15)
  • Getting hit while running will now drain 50 energy
  • Kung Jin (Ancestral) - Low Shot now fires 1 frame faster
  • Kung Jin (Ancestral) - Quiver activations now last 420 frames (up from 360)
  • Kung Jin (Ancestral) - Frame Data for arrow types are now shown in the movelist
  • Kung Jin (Ancestral) - Fire Arrows cause 10 more block stun frames and have increased pushback
  • Kung Jin (Ancestral) - Vampiric Arrows cause 10 more block stun frames and have increased pushback
I've compiled a Video showcasing practical and situational combos, general setups as well as setups with each type of arrow, the potential of the vortex, pressure and mixup game, overall safety, and more. Think of this as a 'Beginners Guide to Ancestral', if you will.

Keep in mind, I've only been using this Variation for a short amount of time and I'm sure there are better things to be found, but I hope this quick overview helps anyone looking to get started w/ the Character.

Hope this has been Helpful.

Here are a couple of sets where I've used Ancestral:

Renzokuken

Gay Hawkeye
Jesus, those combos were disgusting. It's great to see Ancestral looking so top tier in the hands of someone who really understands it.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
Amazing vid. Thanks for the time and the effort. Been interested in getting into Ancestral but was unsure where to start. This will help immensely.

Great stuff and thanks again!

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
This is just oodles of fun to watch.
I <3 the Ancestral variation, so I'm glad to see it finally finding a more stable place in the meta.
Excellent work, Mr. Show.

EntropicByDesign

It's all so very confusing.
Very nice guide.

Does anyone have the notation(s) for some of these? I dont know KJ very well, so visually decoding them in slow going as I have to go string by string and normal by normal and look it up, figure out what it is then transcribe it. Im working on it though. Just thought Id ask incase anyone else has done the legwork =]

EntropicByDesign

It's all so very confusing.
So.. are there any poverty versions of these combos or some trick to the ji2 x down arrow (dd2) x then either an IA DK, or a RC34, etc?

My execution is weak, it always has been and after almost two hours, I haven't landed it yet. once. So its either utterly beyond me, or Im missing something.

Parasurama

Dragon
So.. are there any poverty versions of these combos or some trick to the ji2 x down arrow (dd2) x then either an IA DK, or a RC34, etc?

My execution is weak, it always has been and after almost two hours, I haven't landed it yet. once. So its either utterly beyond me, or Im missing something.
Hey, Try delaying the dd2 after ji2 and remember when doing the ia dk- to jump fwd.