What's new

The Netherrealm war

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
In Game:

Kung Lao: Quan Chi
Quan Chi: Enjoy your last breath
Kung Lao: I have prevailed to you before.

Quan Chi: Have you finally found a way to kill me?
Kitana: I know of many!

Ermac: Your soul is corrupted
Sub-Zero: Not currupted, freed

In Comics:
Raiden: You promised me, that you'll never use that portal stone again Kotal.
Kotal Kahn: And you promised me that after the Netherrealm war, Earthrealm and Outworld would cooperate.

I'm getting more and more curious to know what happened in the Netherrealm war, apparently someone fell during the netherrealm war, all is pointing out to be Shinnok, and for the looks of it, Kotal was an ally before, the revenant warriors were returned to normal, this would explain why, Lao, uncle Jax and Kitana are alive.
Sub-Zero theory of purification seems true.

What's Ermac's role in all this? Evil? Neutral? Good? Why is he carrying Shao Kahn's soul with him?

What do you think it happened?

Bildslash

Goro Lives 
Just finished reading vol. 5. Things are getting interesting.

Like you say it is fair to say Raiden and Kotal made an alliance to defeat Shinnok and Quan-Chi in order to save both Earthrealm and Outworld. Mileena and Reiko probably took advantage of this to seize the throne, the previously dead heroes were all rescued from Netherrealm, and there must have happened something else that put Raiden's and Kotal's alliance in jeopardy.

trufenix

bye felicia
I'm gonna say, Shinnok and Quan Chi make their move, wreck shit and Kotal comes out of nowhere, rallys Outworld Aragorn style and handles it. All the dead people get fucking resurrected (ugh) and Raiden says gj Kotal, I owe you one lets be pals. Hopefully, this is just the opening movie so we don't have to waste any actual story mode on Shinnok.

REDRUM

www.twitter.com/redrum26
In Game:

Kung Lao: Quan Chi
Quan Chi: Enjoy your last breath
Kung Lao: I have prevailed to you before.

Quan Chi: Have you finally found a way to kill me?
Kitana: I know of many!

Ermac: Your soul is corrupted
Sub-Zero: Not currupted, freed

In Comics:
Raiden: You promised me, that you'll never use that portal stone again Kotal.
Kotal Kahn: And you promised me that after the Netherrealm war, Earthrealm and Outworld would cooperate.

I'm getting more and more curious to know what happened in the Netherrealm war, apparently someone fell during the netherrealm war, all is pointing out to be Shinnok, and for the looks of it, Kotal was an ally before, the revenant warriors were returned to normal, this would explain why, Lao, uncle Jax and Kitana are alive.
Sub-Zero theory of purification seems true.

What's Ermac's role in all this? Evil? Neutral? Good? Why is he carrying Shao Kahn's soul with him?

What do you think it happened?

Youphemism

Gunslinger since pre patch (sh/out to The Farmer)
I've had a theory that Shinnok fell during the Netherrealm War and Quan took the opportunity to take over as lord of the Netherrealm. Then after seeing Quan's win pose and hearing all these theories about whose skull is in his armour (most people think Onaga and that Quan is calling Onaga's undead army since Kamidogu have been introduced in the comic - although Shawn Kittelsen says the Kamidogu introdcued in the comics are different from the original Kamidogu...) I came up with another theory.

I think the skull in Quan's armour might be Shinnoks. Yes Quan uses the power in the skull to call upon skeletal beings, but I think he's using Shinnok's power to call them from the Netherrealm rather than him calling on Onaga's undead army. The skeleton arms in the back of Quan's armour are Shinnoks too. This would mean Shinnok isn't playable though :(

Here's his win pose:

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
I think Ermac isn't pure evil here, he seems neutral but I hope he becomes good or Kenshi frees him as originally in Deception's timeline. Because he seems to be a loner who judges others souls given his abilities. He also seems more powerful than before with more souls and having Shao Kahn's soul(among possibly others we know who knows) I just hope Shao Kahn's soul doesn't take over, that's why I think if he encounters Kenshi he could free him with his sword.

So for now I will say Neutral, seems that Ermac may have to battle within himself with souls trying to take dominance over him.

Shinnok's war obviously failed, this is one thing we all know due to the future and both Earthrealm and OW being in tact. Wouldn't surprise me of Shinnok winded up controlling Liu Kang's soul in Netherrealm some how or maybe Quan-Chi, I could possibly see an MKL season 2 inspired plot where Kung Lao is the new main good guy and at some point he'll have to face off against a darker, resurrected evil Liu Kang?

Would be interesting at some point if Raiden and Kotal Kahn regardless of their differences teamed up against Shinnok assuming he has the amulet or if they take care of him early on, remember in the comic it hints that "they made a deal of some sort" wouldnt' surprise me of there was a temporary alliance there for a while to take out Shinnok, then Quan Chi survived...perhaps during this time too between MK9's lives lost and ones who died in Netherrealm War aka MK 4 timeline, Ermac gained more souls at that time?

aldazo

Waiting for Havik
I think The Netherrealm War started when both Earthrealm and Outworld were weakened after the end of MK9. Both Shinnok and Quan Chi lead the war and were getting easy victories but as time went the resistance from both worlds proved to be solid. After Netherrealm realised they made a mistake in confronting both worlds at the same time, they planned to finished the war as soon as possible before the resistance gets more powerful, so they revived Onaga; which prove to be another mistake because they couldn't control him so a battle of power broke in Netherrealm.

Making the most of this opportunity Outworld resistance lead by Kotal Kahn and Erthrealm resistance lead by Raiden made a treaty to join forces and act coordinately. The new joint resistance accomplished important victories and after some time they brought the war to the netherrealm itself. Meanwhile Shjinnok managed to defeat Onaga but at the cost of losing a great amount of forces needed to battle Outworld and Erthrealm. So Quan Chi, knowing the defeat was near, choose to betray Shinnok and imprisoned him again while taking with him the rests of Onaga to increase his powers. In the end the resistance achieved victory, but not long after they split again and concentrate their diminished forces to rebuild their worlds. Quan Chi escaped, joined forces with the black dragon and now has new plans for MKX involving the kamidogus.

The End.