What's new

The Need Help Choosing Main/Secondary Character Discussion Thread

Raph

Noob
Hi. I too am struggling to find a main. Here is a general idea on the type of play styles I prefer:

-01: I like rushdown. I prefer to play very aggressively, and I tend to stay away from defensive play styles. I can do defensive if the situation calls for it, but I'd much rather stick to aggressive rushdown style of play. In other words I prefer offense over defense.

-02: I also prefer speedy characters. I like characters that have good speed/mobility/agility. I'm not a fan of slow or clunky characters. I know that the slower characters tend to hit harder, but the low speed/mobility/agility of such characters is just no fun for me.

-03: I like combos. I'm a combo freak. So I tend to like characters that are combo heavy. However, the above two preferences take priority over this one. So if I absolutely had to drop one of these preferences it would be this one. Although ideally I'd want all three.

With all of that in mind, which characters and/or variations would you guys recommend for me?

Hi. I too am struggling to find a main. Here is a general idea on the type of play styles I prefer:

-01: I like rushdown. I prefer to play very aggressively, and I tend to stay away from defensive play styles. I can do defensive if the situation calls for it, but I'd much rather stick to aggressive rushdown style of play. In other words I prefer offense over defense.

-02: I also prefer speedy characters. I like characters that have good speed/mobility/agility. I'm not a fan of slow or clunky characters. I know that the slower characters tend to hit harder, but the low speed/mobility/agility of such characters is just no fun for me.

-03: I like combos. I'm a combo freak. So I tend to like characters that are combo heavy. However, the above two preferences take priority over this one. So if I absolutely had to drop one of these preferences it would be this one. Although ideally I'd want all three.

With all of that in mind, which characters and/or variations would you guys recommend for me?
In terms of rushdown, Cassie is a good fit. However her mobility isn't the best in the game and in terms of combos, she has some pretty tough ones but u can settle for less damage on the easier ones.

Any advice on her variations?
If u like setups on oki and whatnot, go for specops. If u want zoning, rushdown and 50/50 restarts, go for hollywood. If u want command grabs and good air to airs, choose brawler. In terms of execution, brawler is the easiest.

Hi, haven't played in a while. Looking to pick someone that;

1. Counters Shinnok and D'vorah (or goes even with both, beating former more important)
2. Relatively simple to pick up, well-rounded

Kyriann

Noob
Hey all- First post here in a very long time.
Picked up MKX when it first came out, mainly used Cassie, stopped for a long time. Came back and am now looking for someone different this time around.
Back in MK9 when I was really active I mained Mileena (just to give a reference for preferred play style).
I'm hesitant to pick her this time simply because it's seeming like they made her super easy to use/she's the most commonly used character. I don't want to be "just another Mileena playing jerk".

I played with Shotgun Jacqui a bit, and I'm decent with her and have picked up her simpler combos pretty easily, but she's missing that "this feels right" factor. I'm right now torn between D'vorah (but intimidated that I won't be able to figure out her wgc..since it seems like swarm queen is the only viable option these days?), Tanya, and even Kitana to an extent.

Any help/advice/guidance at all that you all could give would be greatly appreciated. Thanks all <3

CrazyFingers

The Power of Lame Compels You
Hey all- First post here in a very long time.
Picked up MKX when it first came out, mainly used Cassie, stopped for a long time. Came back and am now looking for someone different this time around.
Back in MK9 when I was really active I mained Mileena (just to give a reference for preferred play style).
I'm hesitant to pick her this time simply because it's seeming like they made her super easy to use/she's the most commonly used character. I don't want to be "just another Mileena playing jerk".

I played with Shotgun Jacqui a bit, and I'm decent with her and have picked up her simpler combos pretty easily, but she's missing that "this feels right" factor. I'm right now torn between D'vorah (but intimidated that I won't be able to figure out her wgc..since it seems like swarm queen is the only viable option these days?), Tanya, and even Kitana to an extent.

Any help/advice/guidance at all that you all could give would be greatly appreciated. Thanks all <3
If you like Mileena, just play Mileena. She's top 3 free and if you find her fun it's an added bonus.

Kyriann

Noob
If you like Mileena, just play Mileena. She's top 3 free and if you find her fun it's an added bonus.
Y'know, that's a valid point. Thank you.
I'll obviously scout out her specific thread, but any general observations regarding which variations are the most/least viable?

CrazyFingers

The Power of Lame Compels You
Y'know, that's a valid point. Thank you.
I'll obviously scout out her specific thread, but any general observations regarding which variations are the most/least viable?
Piercing is the best one the other two are about the same as each other.

TyCarter35

Bonafide Jax scrub
Piercing is great for neutral play while Ravenous gives u health back for certain strings and safe specials tho they can be back dashed if cancelled into them and ethereal is good at drawing out whiff punishes and plus pressure for bar

Noob
D'Vorah.

Any variation. And her WGC's are super easy after a bit of practice. And I find them to be some of the easiest cancels to start with because of the visual cues you get from them. And learning to cancel will be a skill that is transferable to any other FG with cancels.

And of course when she opens her stomach up it is sexy as hell.

Keep Cassie though, she is really fun to play. And if you are after a fun character there is Cyrax. Who very few play, so if you don't want to be just another Mileena player. You can develop a Cyrax and be known as a Cyrax player, FGC famous for free.

Kyriann

Noob
Piercing is great for neutral play while Ravenous gives u health back for certain strings and safe specials tho they can be back dashed if cancelled into them and ethereal is good at drawing out whiff punishes and plus pressure for bar
That's good to know, thank you so much!!
D'Vorah.

Any variation. And her WGC's are super easy after a bit of practice. And I find them to be some of the easiest cancels to start with because of the visual cues you get from them. And learning to cancel will be a skill that is transferable to any other FG with cancels.

And of course when she opens her stomach up it is sexy as hell.

Keep Cassie though, she is really fun to play. And if you are after a fun character there is Cyrax. Who very few play, so if you don't want to be just another Mileena player. You can develop a Cyrax and be known as a Cyrax player, FGC famous for free.
Thank you for that. I'll mess around with D'Vorah a bit more. Is her venomous variation viable at all? That's always the one that has intrigued me the most. You do have to love that stomach open up, ahaha.
I may go back to Cassie as well. I did enjoy Spec Ops when I was playing with her.

Cyrax has always intimidated me as being a bit set up heavy/reliant. But I'll still give him a shot!

Thank you both for your help. I greatly appreciate it <3

Noob
He is set up heavy. But that's what makes him fun to play. You can't be a brainless zombie and expect to win.

All of her variations are viable. Depending on what you plan on doing. But viable is subjective. Since tournament viable may not be a thing anymore with people dropping the game for I2.

If you struggle with WGC then venomous is the way to go. I typically play between both. I use Swarm Queen when I play people that are nimble enough to keep away from me and I need to lock them down a bit to lay on the damage. People who come in a lot on me push me to use venomous. Just ignore here DOT and play as if she wasn't doing all the tick damage. Her combos are easier as venomous and the bonus damage makes it feel more like you are fighting weaker opponents, instead of you doing high damage.

Of course there is also EB Gunslinger. the most fun character to play in the game I think. He is my third most plaid character and I use him just for a laugh. Absolutely still viable online. And when you play him without using his 21122 string people get demolished. Most of the time my opponents game plan against Gunslinger is to wait for the 21122 string and try and punish me for it, it leaves them waiting a long time doing nothing that will open them up for it. Haha.

I haven't played MKX in a year or so, but prior to that I'd played mostly the following variations:

D'Vorah Venomous (Main)
Sub-Zero Cryomancer
Ermac Mystic

As for my playstyle, I'll describe it by listing the variations I found hard to consistently beat online (in no order):

Kung Lao Tempest
Raiden Thunder God
Quan Chi Warlock
Takeda Shirai Ryu
Kenshi Kenjutsu
Tremor Aftershock
Kotal Kahn War God
Kitana Royal Storm
Erron Black Outlaw

I'd like to get back into it and improve, and I'm wondering if any of those three variations are still generally viable - additionally, are there any other old or new variations in XL that might fare better against the opposing variations I listed?