What's new

The Mortal Kombat 1 Information and General Discussion Thread (Old)

Status
Not open for further replies.
A new era begins! This thread is for collecting general information as it's released about the upcoming game, as well as discussion of the the game and its mechanics, details, etc. until release.

GAMEPLAY TRAILER

ED BOON TIMELINE/MECHANICS BASIC INTRO
Ed Boon Short Interview @ Summer Game Fest 2023

ANNOUNCEMENT TRAILER

OFFICIAL WEBSITE
PRESS RELEASE

RELEASE DATE AND PLATFORMS
September 19, 2023 — PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X|S, Nintendo Switch, and PC, including Steam and Epic Games Store.

PRE-ORDER BETA
The Pre-Order Beta will take place from August 18-21.

PRICING / EDITIONS
  • Mortal Kombat 1 Standard Edition will be available physically and digitally for $69.99 (SRP)
  • Mortal Kombat 1 Premium Edition will be available physically and digitally for $109.99 (SRP) — includes all Standard Edition content, along with the Kombat Pack, early access to the game beginning Sept. 14, and 1,250 Dragon Krystals (in-game currency). The Kombat Pack will feature a Johnny Cage character skin with the likeness of famed actor and martial artist, Jean-Claude Van Damme (available at launch), early access to six new playable characters (available post-launch), and five new Kameo Fighters (available post-launch).
  • Mortal Kombat 1 Kollector’s Edition will be available physically at select retailers for $249.99 (SRP) on PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S only — includes all Premium Edition content, and early access, along with a 16.5-inch Liu Kang sculpture designed by COARSE and an inspired Liu Kang in-game character skin, three exclusive art prints, a steel case, and 1,450 additional Dragon Krystals (2,700 total).
BASIC INFORMATION
Developed by award-winning NetherRealm Studios, the upcoming game will introduce a reborn Mortal Kombat Universe that has been created by the Fire God Liu Kang, featuring reimagined versions of iconic characters as they’ve never been seen before.​
NetherRealm’s genre-defining Story Mode returns with an immersive cinematic narrative featuring unexpected twists on classic rivalries and original backstories for a wide-ranging cast of legendary fighters, including Liu Kang, Scorpion, Sub-Zero, Raiden, Kung Lao, Kitana, Mileena, Shang Tsung, Johnny Cage, and many others. Mortal Kombat 1 will also introduce Kameo Fighters, a unique roster of partner characters that can assist during matches, creating expanded gameplay possibilities for players.​
NEW MECHANICS
  • Kameo - MK1 introduces "Kameo fighters", which can be called in for assists and combo extenders, breakers, etc. Some Kameo fighters are part of the main roster of the game.
  • Aerial Kombat returns from MK: Armageddon; each character has strings that can only be used on a airborne opponent

Last edited:

Comments

Status
Coarse do very meh kind of kollector's edition. That statue looks very underwhelming. Steel book design is also nothing catchy.

Yeah, I'm not a fan of their work, personally.

For me, I do want to see gameplay first, more details about how mechanics, story mode, and microtransactions/currency will work. Assuming I'm okay with all this, I'll be pre-ordering the regular or Premium Edition (the later more dependant on who's included in the Kombat Pack).

The big thing I need to decide on is if I take days off for the game, as this is the first NetherRealm Studio game ever to be released when I'm not on vacation of COVID-19 lockdowns (I just realized that last night, and it's a pretty neat coincidence).

I would like to see a return of MK9 Battle Damage in MK1..... in MKx and MK11 they got covered in blood, that was cool.. Particularly in MK11.... but if they had damage, it was toned down a lot.

I recently played The Callisto Protocol... it is basically Dead Space 4, by the same dev team and lead designer.... I also played Dead Island 2 at a mates house on his PC... and the technology to do "damage" has advanced so much. Callisto is amazing with the damage, you can literally strip the flesh off the monsters, and in a completely interactive way based on your attacks... Dead Island 2 is the same.

I mean, how cool would it be for Cassie to finish a fight and have one eye swollen shut, or Cage have massive claw gashes in his chest from fighting Reptile or something?

TL;DR : I would love the return of battle damage in MK1, and I would like it to be over the top.. not subtle.

I would like to see a return of MK9 Battle Damage in MK1..... in MKx and MK11 they got covered in blood, that was cool.. Particularly in MK11.... but if they had damage, it was toned down a lot.

I recently played The Callisto Protocol... it is basically Dead Space 4, by the same dev team and lead designer.... I also played Dead Island 2 at a mates house on his PC... and the technology to do "damage" has advanced so much. Callisto is amazing with the damage, you can literally strip the flesh off the monsters, and in a completely interactive way based on your attacks... Dead Island 2 is the same.

I mean, how cool would it be for Cassie to finish a fight and have one eye swollen shut, or Cage have massive claw gashes in his chest from fighting Reptile or something?

TL;DR : I would love the return of battle damage in MK1, and I would like it to be over the top.. not subtle.
Female tits almost falling out their ripped clothes like in MK9... yeah, I want that

do you think that will mean there won't be anything on the playstatrion thing in 24 hours?
Definitely not gameplay. Maybe a replay of the teaser at most, but yeah.. It sounds like the actual reveal/details are saved for June 8. If it was a PS/PC exclusive it'd probably be different.

Status