What's new

The MK11 Tournament Discussion Thread

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
Figured I may as well make a thread for this since there's a tournament like 3 times a week now.

Right now I'm watching the Kollosseum Top 8:

And I have to say.. If you don't like watching this game, high level might be for you. The meta has evolved greatly in a year -- there are so many micro crouches, short hops, flawless blocks, etc. The neutral and the minutae of the stagger/poke/point blank game are beautiful to watch.. And they are rewarding players with good fundamentals.

Anyway, if you're watching something that you're enjoying, or just want to talk about the matches, post it here.

Tagging @Jynks because I know he's on top of it.

P.S. There's a huge amount of drama with the tourney that KP was supposed to run on Thurs (sounds like some shady stuff by panther imo), but I'm not sure I understand it fully:

Marinjuana

Up rock incoming, ETA 5 minutes
Desperately needed thread, we were kind of in an awkward spot with that, mods too busy to make a thread, posters like me too lazy. But having one place to talk any tournament should help the discussion.

So.. online tournaments? There's been a few lately, what fights have been the bangers? I really enjoyed watching some KP on Aquaman's Kollosseum the other day, and I can always watch some Tweedy. I really enjoy Aquaman's tournies, the more recent MK11 in particular have had a great energy in the commentary and in the chatroom. Feels good man

CrimsonShadow

Administrator
So.. online tournaments? There's been a few lately, what fights have been the bangers? I really enjoyed watching some KP on Aquaman's Kollosseum the other day, and I can always watch some Tweedy. I really enjoy Aquaman's tournies, the more recent MK11 in particular have had a great energy in the commentary and in the chatroom. Feels good man
So many great matches these days.. Grr vs. K7 Showoff, Tweedy vs. DJT, DJT vs. Grr, Kombat vs. basically anybody..

I wanted to watch the second part of KP's tournament tomorrow, but now I feel conflicted over this Mitsu situation which seems really shady TBH. Maybe I'll watch anyway but I'm definitely not going to link it or participate in the chat.

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous
What is going on with Panther's event? Seems to be a ton of drama but everyone assumes everyone knows what is going on so I can never get an answer on what the deal is.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator
What is going on with Panther's event? Seems to be a ton of drama but everyone assumes everyone knows what is going on so I can never get an answer on what the deal is.
If you read KP’s tweets they explain the whole thing, but basically KP had to postpone Tuesday due to his girl needing urgent medical attention, and the guy who bankrolled the tournament said they’d reschedule for Thursday. But then Mitsu messaged the entrants saying that KP’s event was canceled, and that he was running it now with the same guy. And no one checked with KP or notified him of this.

So given that not everybody is happy with Mitsu right now, after his spree of banning people from his stream chat and going off on people/skipping commentary over people cutting the character intros short, some people refused to play.

And it just generally seems like scumbaggery given that KP had been promoting and putting all the work into running this event.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
So given that not everybody is happy with Mitsu right now, after his spree of banning people from his stream chat and going off on people/skipping commentary over people cutting the character intros short, some people refused to play.
Mitsu overreacted in his response to players skipping character introductions. Unfortunately, because of his exaggerated reaction, he has been the subject of trolling, callousness, and racism on his stream chat and Twitter account. He has every right to ban the perpetrators. The community ought to support people like Mitsu and Prince Panther for their time, effort, and dedication to running and sponsoring tournaments.

As far as the central message of your thread is concerned, I agree. For a "dead" and "boring" game, Mortal Kombat 11 has the most participants, the most entertaining matches, and the most well-run tournaments in the whole fighting community.

So to all the sponsors, tournament organizers, and commentators, I say, again, thank you.

But to all the haters, shut up, you fools.

Blewdew

PSN: MaxKayX3
fuck mitsuownes never liked him, im glad ppl finnally see what a clown he is.
You can say what you want about him but at least he supports the game he loves playing. Back in mkx he organized the only „bigger“ offline event in Germany by himself. There was (and still is) So little interest for mk and he still managed to pull of a great tournament for everyone who participated.

Not defending current events of him because I‘m not really up to date with it, just saying that he really is not a bad guy, especially in person.

I can't remember what tournament is was recently, but I was watching AVirk's scorpion just run through people. His gameplay and footsie game is something else. Tournament scene is the only reason why I picked MK11 back up.

Marinjuana

Up rock incoming, ETA 5 minutes
I can't remember what tournament is was recently, but I was watching AVirk's scorpion just run through people. His gameplay and footsie game is something else. Tournament scene is the only reason why I picked MK11 back up.
I liked how he was throwing out S4's in neutral, fishing for a S4-Spear. Love stuff like that

CrimsonShadow

Administrator
Mitsu overreacted in his response to players skipping character introductions. Unfortunately, because of his exaggerated reaction, he has been the subject of trolling, callousness, and racism on his stream chat and Twitter account. He has every right to ban the perpetrators. The community ought to support people like Mitsu and Prince Panther for their time, effort, and dedication to running and sponsoring tournaments.
I'm not sure how asking why there's no commentary for matches (because the host is intentionally giving them the silent treatment because he's angry) or why certain people were banned makes one a 'perpetrator'.

Imo that's just a lack of maturity.

Removing someone from a tournament for habit-skipping an intro, because you can't use your pretty transition graphic, is also pretty childish.

I don't think this makes him an evil person. But I don't think it's worth defending that kind of behavior either.

I don't want to turn this thread into a Mitsu debate, but I think this comment misrepresents the people who were 'spite-banned' alongside the actual disruptors who probably deserved their bans.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator
Semij is a pleasure to watch. His movement and the way he plays neutral, his judicious use of every button at only the perfect times, and the way he deals with staggers, etc.

Really great sets tonight.

Nickolaidas

Agent of Chaosrealm
I never watched Aquaman's streams in the past because there were always audio copyright issues with my country and half of the stream was with literally no sound at all.

I checked his kolosseum week #1 two days ago just out of curiosity and I was pleasantly surprised to see that the entire thing is complete with sound. So now, I watched through week #1 and once I get back from work I'm going to alternate between watching the next weeks and playing FF7Remake.

Out of curiosity, does anyone remember how many viewers tops Aquaman's Kolosseum tournament hits when it's live?

Jynks

Depends on the metric. Max gets 32 Thousand online to watch him open cereal boxes to look for toys. Viewer Counts mean nothing. @Mr Aquaman wants viewers, obviously, but the focus is the scene. This is a scene driven community event, funded by donations from the viewers. No one is getting paid but the players and it is all about the game. This is basically a local, but on the internet.'

People sometimes ask what has happened to the grass roots events in the FGC... well this and things like Darth Arma's thing is what happened to them.

It wouldn't surprise me if Aquaman has some long term goals in the back of his mind, but for now and the foreseeable future, this is basically LevelUP or WNF, but a decade ago.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator
Anybody know what's coming up this weekend/next week aside from Kollossem? There's a lot to keep track of these days :)

CrimsonShadow

Administrator
Watching this week's Kollosseum pools:

So far the sets have been pretty mind-blowing.

Jynks

PS4 servers are down apparently so Kolli has been stopped. The last few matches will be streamed to morrow.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator
PS4 servers are down apparently so Kolli has been stopped. The last few matches will be streamed to morrow.
Did they actually end up coin flipping anyone in the bracket? Mr. AM was talking about it onstream.