What's new

The MK11 Hot Takes Thread

DarkSado

Noob
mk doesn't need to be about footsies, neutral, and methodical play. save that for street fighter. mk should be the degenerate counterpart to sf. you think in MORTAL KOMBAT that these highly trained killing machines care about spacing, footsies, and neutral?
Yea let MK be MK not this fake street fighter game.

So you don't want MK to be a competitive esport/fg? You'd rather it be a skillless braindead fighter where any scrub can beat a pro because of random, low skill mechanics? Then what is the point in learning to get good at the game? That's the whole point of fighting games; the only type of game where it's 1v1, and the most skilled opponent will win.

When you destroy that feature of the game it destroys life of the game and replayability. This is is why people play online competitive games, to get good so they can dominate competiton and receive ranks/accolades. More importantly, the only way any fighting game can have a lifespan and make money these days is by having a large,dedicated playerbase which always occurs when the game has actual competitive depth. Essentially you want the game to be dead in a year and not have tourneys or a playerbase, which is something I couldn't disagree with more. Catering too extensively to casuals is the quickest way to destroy any game.
Alright first of all chill. Making a fighting game not heavily reliant on footsies and neutral, which they barely achieved anyway, doesn't make it any less of a fighter. People thought that would happen with sf5 and it's still the biggest esport fighter. Lowering the skill ceiling and adding thoughtless mechanics or pointless normals (fatal blow d2 krushing blow and not enough good mids) is what turns it into a game where s scrub could get on, go stupid, and possibly beat you. Good fighting game players don't get beat by scrubs anyway. Plenty of fighting games that ignore footsies and neutral that a scrub wouldn't even touch because they would get heavily washed. Also you're pretty wrong about that lifespan and money point. The best way a fighting game can have a good lifespan and make money is not by only having a large playerbase but also having robust single player and multiplayer features, good visuals and appealing characters, good online, a steady flow of content, and good marketing. If a fighting game does these things then the players will come. Actually focusing on how esports your game can be before accomplishing these traits is a surefire way to kill your fighting game. Also this is mk we're talking about it could be shit on a silver platter and boom best selling fighting. Boom top 10 best selling VIDEOGAME. People eat this shit up.

DarksydeDash

You know me as RisingShieldBro online.
Hot Take:

Ed originally wanted a fighter pack zero which featured Doomsday, Zod, Batgirl, and Shazam in Inj2, but it fell through.

At the end of the Spawn gameplay reveal trailer, the screen fades to black and what happens? A head of Cyrax rolls in. There's a slight pause and then.. it changes to Sektor. Then back to Cyrax, and finally a grey metalic hand picks it up and puts it on his head making it turn to Robo Smoke. Triborg looks to their left. It shows the well of souls from MK9 and Ermac emerges. As he floats forward a bolt of lightning comes down in front of him to halt his advance and a downpour begins. Rain emerges from the shadows. All three of them look into the same direction and there's a faint pink glow before Mileena appears. All four of them line up and words form.

They say:

"Kombat Pack 0

Koming soon.."

DarkSado

Noob
I see people complaining non stop about the 50/50 aspect but every fighting game ever has mixups. Usually a mixup heavy character tho will have lack luster stuff in other departments.
That’s one thing mk11 could use is more apparent archetypes. Prob would end up with a mess of balance tho.
THANK YOU SOMEONE GETS IT.

Hot take: this is actually a good fighting game.

A lot of people aren’t open-minded enough to accept that it doesn’t play the way (insert other game here) plays. And it’s easier to complain than to adapt. But that’s actually one of the things I like about it.
That's a pretty cold take. Maybe they're not showing up enough here for you but people generally agree that they enjoy mk11 but there are obvious problems with it.

DarkSado

Noob
So you don't want MK to be a competitive esport/fg? You'd rather it be a skillless braindead fighter where any scrub can beat a pro because of random, low skill mechanics? Then what is the point in learning to get good at the game? That's the whole point of fighting games; the only type of game where it's 1v1, and the most skilled opponent will win.

When you destroy that feature of the game it destroys life of the game and replayability. This is is why people play online competitive games, to get good so they can dominate competiton and receive ranks/accolades. More importantly, the only way any fighting game can have a lifespan and make money these days is by having a large,dedicated playerbase which always occurs when the game has actual competitive depth. Essentially you want the game to be dead in a year and not have tourneys or a playerbase, which is something I couldn't disagree with more. Catering too extensively to casuals is the quickest way to destroy any game.
This game is more braindead then x and 9 just down poke and throw. footsie LMAO with these hitbox

Chernyy Volk

Wolf lord, footsie bully, chronic corner abuser.
Hot take: this is actually a good fighting game.

A lot of people aren’t open-minded enough to accept that it doesn’t play the way (insert other game here) plays. And it’s easier to complain than to adapt. But that’s actually one of the things I like about it.
Would you change your mind on the game if it got changed into the kind of game you see alot of people ask for?

Gooberking

FGC Cannon Fodder
Would you change your mind on the game if it got changed into the kind of game you see alot of people ask for?
Who are the lot of people? I get you have more of the inside pov on what some key people think, but mostly I see a handful of people blustering all day, every day because one game on the planet isn't their personal FG wet dream game. Basically doing all they can to spark an angry, pitchfork wielding mob marching their way to Chicago to demand for personal wants.

It's fine to not like something, and to discuss what might make things better. When it keeps spilling over into people literally cursing NRS for being unable make a proper fighting game like it's something any idiot could do, then I'm like this is getting weird.

The amount of rage directed towards a game made by some people that don't really owe anyone an orgasmic gaming experience, has gotten strange, and played out.

I've enjoyed playing the game. It's been a good fit for me so far, and I don't know that I'd like people changing it a whole lot. But then what I think doesn't really matter. I didn't make the game. I can't change the game. And like all but maybe 150 people on the planet, I can't play the game at a level where most of the stuff people complain about even matters.

Looks more like a complain thread or a "put this certain thing in the game" thread. lmao

Idk about hot takes, but:

Amp Ice Ball should be base kit and not a slotted move.

Avalanche is the best variation for Sub due to Creeping Ice.
Hot takes are usually seen as complaints because they normally go against what other people agree on.

Who are the lot of people? I get you have more of the inside pov on what some key people think, but mostly I see a handful of people blustering all day, every day because one game on the planet isn't their personal FG wet dream game. Basically doing all they can to spark an angry, pitchfork wielding mob marching their way to Chicago to demand for personal wants.

It's fine to not like something, and to discuss what might make things better. When it keeps spilling over into people literally cursing NRS for being unable make a proper fighting game like it's something any idiot could do, then I'm like this is getting weird.

The amount of rage directed towards a game made by some people that don't really owe anyone an orgasmic gaming experience, has gotten strange, and played out.

I've enjoyed playing the game. It's been a good fit for me so far, and I don't know that I'd like people changing it a whole lot. But then what I think doesn't really matter. I didn't make the game. I can't change the game. And like all but maybe 150 people on the planet, I can't play the game at a level where most of the stuff people complain about even matters.
Owe? I mean shit all they wanted was $60 in the beginning for a supposedly well tested AAA product. How could I be so foolish

Chernyy Volk

But cherny. All these top players still stream and post the game. Could they be doing it for the job instead of love for their game
A lot of them do yes cause making some bank playing fighting games is still kind of sick compared to not doing it. You find other things in it to get you by.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
mk doesn't need to be about footsies, neutral, and methodical play. save that for street fighter. mk should be the degenerate counterpart to sf. you think in MORTAL KOMBAT that these highly trained killing machines care about spacing, footsies, and neutral?
Perhaps. Or perhaps every individual in this community must look within and acknowledge his or her lack of footsies. After all, not every person can play footsies to the world-class extent that Daigo, Momochi, Sako, Tokido, and Cherny can.

Perhaps. Or perhaps every individual in this community must look within and acknowledge his or her lack of footsies. After all, not every person can play footsies to the world-class extent that Daigo, Momochi, Sako, Tokido, and Cherny can.
Well i believe that currently in the nrs community there are no world class footsie masters except maybe dragon. I can play footsies but I'm not always trying to play footsies and I'm not trying to have my game watered down to achieve some lost footsie dream.

SamZ

Noob
This game was released unfinished, partly because of articles released on NRS being a toxic work environment and employees working ridiculous crunch time hours. This is why the DLC is taking so long to release as opposed to other NRS games. NRS didn't know how the game was going to be played or how the meta was going to develop, this significantly hurt the game.

MK11 has the best netcode of any fighting game to date, if you play people with good connections. The majority of people I see complain about the online have horrible connections, or are playing people with horrible connections.

Mk11 and Injustice 2 should have co-existed.

Bashing, threatening and harassing NRS employees is lame.

NRS games were/are more fun when they're patched more frequently.

E

Eldriken

Based on this definition, here is my hot take: there are no such things as hot takes in this community because none of us agree on shit
That is incorrect. We all agree that none of us agree on shit, so we do in fact, AGREE ON SOMETHING. WEEEEOOOO

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
I mean it’s tough, because I literally see people asking for opposite things within a few posts of each other. Like, this isn’t the first thread where you see one person posting that wakeups are too weak and another posting that they’re broken.

That’s just one example, but in general, it’s kind of hard to tell what the community actually wants. You give them one thing and they will ask for something else.

thlityoursloat

kick kick
Unless a big balance patch comes out, people are going to realize Jax is mediocre as fuck, especially if they nerf him again.

Chernyy Volk

Well i believe that currently in the nrs community there are no world class footsie masters except maybe dragon. I can play footsies but I'm not always trying to play footsies and I'm not trying to have my game watered down to achieve some lost footsie dream.
The thing is the game can be full of fun broke shit AND be footsie centric. NRS just doesn't get game design apparently.