What's new

The MK11 Hot Takes Thread

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
I definitely agree that the game has shitty wake up options, BA's suck(they're not better than breakers), throws are too op at times(throw stuffing not only rolls but start up on certain normals, FB's and ducking animations about to poke but not actually poking? yeah...) Certain characters that kill the neutral. Not a fan of gimmicky shit like jailing, frame traps with + advantage. Why? because NRS said from the start "we don't want MK 11 to be like MK X with rushdown 50/50's" oh really? well the rushdown they addressed. The 50/50s on the other hand? uhh no...what does NRS think all that jailing, staggers etc leads into? Oh yeah 50/50s!! :rolleyes: But yeah I've said it before, I'll say it again. MK 9's wake up system was FAR better than MK 11. Period. I like wake ups like I like my insurance, quality over quantity. Sometimes less is more.

KB's are unbalanced and dumb, FB's have shitty ass armor while others have a bit too much. I think both need to go. I'm also not a fan of the fact that if you're using a weaker character and you're working your ass off to say get your opponent down 50% health, right then you make one mistake and they hit you with a KB that juggles into a FB for that 50% instantly back. NRS will say "this is the reason for a comeback mechanic" but I say "this is just broke and unfair" Seems like a scrub friendly gimmick if you ask me, and don't get me started on the D2 KB's that some characters can do meaty unbreakable damage.

Honestly, I'd love to see this game without staggers, bad wake ups, frame traps, jailing and BreakAways or KB's or FB's. Then this game would be way more competitive tbh.

This may come off as more of a MK 11 rant thread 100 but I also think that should tell NRS and the MKC in general something about a lot of people not being happy with this agme. And hey I paid good money for the game like anyone else(hell some of those big youtubers and "pro players" didn't even pay for their shit they got sent free copies lol. I got the premium edition and KP so I'll gladly voice my opinion regardless of how popular or unpopular it may be. I love the MK franchise as much if not more than anyone, but that doesn't mean I have to love every single MK game ever made either.

Last time I touched MK11 was right before third variations launched, and I haven't looked back aside from the occasional tournament stream. I enjoyed it for what it was, but tbh the game is scrubby as shit. I don't even think that's a hot take at this point.

Chernyy you get a lot of TYM flack but I agree with the great majority of criticisms and outlooks you have for this game.

Anyway, I'll be back for MK12.

trufenix

bye felicia
My hot take is: I hate new characters being introduced into the game. To me it should be a permanent roster from the start and that's it. Companies like NRS already have a tall order to balance the initial 20 characters and keep introducing new ones that completely wrecks the current state of the game.
This guy wins, right?

The recent change to how jump kicks work is a massive change in the meta and I feel like I'm taking crazy pills with everyone else not mentioning it.

I don't think I've respected frames after a jump in kick on block at all since the last patch.

DeftMonk

Noob
  1. Fatal blow guitar hero mini game needs to go.
  2. Maybe I am alone in this but I really really like the meter system in mk11. There is literally no reason to spam projectiles as most of them are highs meaning you won't get chip or meter. If your opponent has the life lead and you'e standing full screen pew pew pew.... you are literally doing nothing.
  3. The depth thing I wish they could do a little bit better for some of these characters. Some of these variations could be mastered by a monkey. But on the flip side the other result is the balance of this game really is something to take note of. (fingers crossed kombat pack 2 doesn't have the first tekken character and its Leroy. In all his SSSSSS tier goodness)
  4. The audio of mk11 is great actually imo sounds of hits landing etc.
  5. Cherney Volk, hate him or love him is the only thing keeping tym alive and interesting lol.

Arqwart

D'Vorah for KP2 copium
Looks more like a complain thread or a "put this certain thing in the game" thread. lmao
Alright then here's a spicy hot take: I'd take D'Vorah's inclusion over Reptile any day. She fits the same general role of semi-human villain lackie but she's actually somewhat fleshed out and properly does her fucking job unlike a certain reptilian jobber. Also: bug powers >>>>>>>> reptilian powers.

Come at me, lizard boy stans.

DeftMonk

Noob
I see people complaining non stop about the 50/50 aspect but every fighting game ever has mixups. Usually a mixup heavy character tho will have lack luster stuff in other departments.
That’s one thing mk11 could use is more apparent archetypes. Prob would end up with a mess of balance tho.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
Alright then here's a spicy hot take: I'd take D'Vorah's inclusion over Reptile any day. She fits the same general role of semi-human villain lackie but she's actually somewhat fleshed out and properly does her fucking job unlike a certain reptilian jobber. Also: bug powers >>>>>>>> reptilian powers.

Come at me, lizard boy stans.
Reptile sucks

But Ermac doesn't and he should have been in

Ram

Buluc Chabtan
Sub-Zero is a ninja... why does he use axes in MK11?? At least give him an array of ice weapons like he had in Inj2 and MKX (cryomancer)

mk doesn't need to be about footsies, neutral, and methodical play. save that for street fighter. mk should be the degenerate counterpart to sf. you think in MORTAL KOMBAT that these highly trained killing machines care about spacing, footsies, and neutral?
So you don't want MK to be a competitive esport/fg? You'd rather it be a skillless braindead fighter where any scrub can beat a pro because of random, low skill mechanics? Then what is the point in learning to get good at the game? That's the whole point of fighting games; the only type of game where it's 1v1, and the most skilled opponent will win.

When you destroy that feature of the game it destroys life of the game and replayability. This is is why people play online competitive games, to get good so they can dominate competiton and receive ranks/accolades. More importantly, the only way any fighting game can have a lifespan and make money these days is by having a large,dedicated playerbase which always occurs when the game has actual competitive depth. Essentially you want the game to be dead in a year and not have tourneys or a playerbase, which is something I couldn't disagree with more. Catering too extensively to casuals is the quickest way to destroy any game.

Wigy

There it is...
So you don't want MK to be a competitive esport/fg? You'd rather it be a skillless braindead fighter where any scrub can beat a pro because of random, low skill mechanics? Then what is the point in learning to get good at the game? That's the whole point of fighting games; the only type of game where it's 1v1, and the most skilled opponent will win.

When you destroy that feature of the game it destroys life of the game and replayability. This is is why people play online competitive games, to get good so they can dominate competiton and receive ranks/accolades. More importantly, the only way any fighting game can have a lifespan and make money these days is by having a large,dedicated playerbase which always occurs when the game has actual competitive depth. Essentially you want the game to be dead in a year and not have tourneys or a playerbase, which is something I couldn't disagree with more. Catering too extensively to casuals is the quickest way to destroy any game.
NRS was incapable on having a neutral heavy game while also maintaining any semblance of character depth. So there's actually a lot less replayability in that aspect.

I'll take broken with depth and fun over mk11.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
@DeftMonk I think Jade and Cassie are a few exceptions to the zoning rule in this game, they can go high, low, mid and even in the air. But most I agree just go high with a few exceptions . Yeah i like the audio in the pat like 5 NRS games they've done a great job. But yeah I hear ya. I do think he brings up some solid points on the flaws of MK 11. A lot of people seem to have issues with FB's and KB's as well as the wake up in this game.

The poke system in my opinion is the main thing holding this game back. It promotes scrubby play (mashing buttons on hit) and is such an easy fix I dont understand why NRS hasn’t fixed it yet. Make D1 and D3 more negative on block and more plus on hit universally. Mashing solved right there.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
Another hot take: the only cool male ninjas are Ermac, Tremor, Rain, and Smoke. Scorpion, Sub-Zero, Reptile, Edgelord Saibot, and the Cyborgs need not apply.
Can't get behind this, Sub and Scorpion are very cool. I'll give you Noob and Smoke

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
Sub-Zero is a ninja... why does he use axes in MK11?? At least give him an array of ice weapons like he had in Inj2 and MKX (cryomancer)
I actually like what they've done with Sub's design. He and Scorpion dont feel like pallete swaps of each other anymore. Hanzo is Japanase and the Shirai Ryu are ninjas. Technically, only Scorpion and Takeda are ninjas. Kuai Liang is Chinese and the Lin Kuei always defined themselves as assassins, not ninjas. Dont quote me on this, but I also think an axe may be more historically appropriate than a sword. I dont think this version of Sub-Zero has the kori blade though like in the other timeline, so maybe that's why he doesn't use a sword.

Reactions: Ram

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
Hot take: this is actually a good fighting game.

A lot of people aren’t open-minded enough to accept that it doesn’t play the way (insert other game here) plays. And it’s easier to complain than to adapt. But that’s actually one of the things I like about it.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
Hot take: this is actually a good fighting game.

A lot of people aren’t open-minded enough to accept that it doesn’t play the way (insert other game here) plays. And it’s easier to complain than to adapt. But that’s actually one of the things I like about it.
Yeah man, I recognize that it's a good fighting game, it just doesn't do it for me. I feel like I'm pretty good about not complaining and raining on anyone's parade though.

I'd like to take this one step further and say that even easier than complaining, just play games you actually like! Games are supposed to relieve stress, no point driving yourself crazy playing a game you don't like.