What's new

Discussion The MK11 "Gear" Anticipation and Speculation Thread.

Swindle

Philanthropist & Asshole
While I'm happy following NRS's endeavors into the DC comics world with the Injustice series, my heart truly lies with Mortal Kombat.
One aesthetic aspect of MK (and many other FG's) that is constantly debated and lamented is alt costumes/skins. It is usually the case that no one is really happy with the amount of or choices of alts for their favorite characters, and it's something that needs an upgrade (which NRS obviously thought, as well). We've seen NRS use ideas from one series to compliment their other one, so I believe that it is a trend that they will continue. I personally hope that Injustice 2's Gear system, or some derivation thereof, makes it's way into the next MK title. I am speaking solely about it's cosmetic aspect, not any gameplay significance (stats, additional moves or augmentations).
I'm curious about what this community thinks about a "Gear" type of system replacing traditional alt costumes in the MK series, and any specific thoughts you have on how it may be implemented in a Mortal Kombat type-way.

Azarashi Elder

Fut-SEAS....OF BLOOD!
I was thinking about this myself and I think the big hurdle to MK Gear is fatalities.

In IGAU, by the end of a game, little pieces of the heroes' costumes would rip, showing gashes and cuts each fighter suffered. Those details were thrown out the window for the sequel, probably because you don't want to program battle damage for thousands of gear pieces.

During fatalities, you want to rip off armor to get to the fleshy bits. It seems like, the more customizable clothing you add, the more memory you have to eat up, to tear through them for each unique finisher.

chrisisnice

I'm a lover, not a fighter
I think that they will try to keep the titles and their gimmicks / concepts completely different. I think that they want to keep it as two very distinctive games rather than melding them in to the same game / concepts with different characters.

KeyserSoze

Fabled Villain
I think that they will try to keep the titles and their gimmicks / concepts completely different. I think that they want to keep it as two very distinctive games rather than melding them in to the same game / concepts with different characters.
This is why we will probably never see variations in Injustice or traits in MK.

Swindle

Philanthropist & Asshole
I was thinking about this myself and I think the big hurdle to MK Gear is fatalities.

In IGAU, by the end of a game, little pieces of the heroes' costumes would rip, showing gashes and cuts each fighter suffered. Those details were thrown out the window for the sequel, probably because you don't want to program battle damage for thousands of gear pieces.

During fatalities, you want to rip off armor to get to the fleshy bits. It seems like, the more customizable clothing you add, the more memory you have to eat up, to tear through them for each unique finisher.
Interesting. I, for one, would be totally fine with sacrificing the "battle damage" aesthetic in MK, but keep the blood splashes. As for the Fatality situation, I was thinking that a lot of the gear would be actual clothing pieces, and less bulky added armor. In previous MK's, even MKX, character clothing/accessories didn't respond naturally to any damage (straps didn't get cut and dangle down, cloth didn't flow open, etc.). Any fatality damage stayed consistent, regardless of materials. Another way to deal with it would be: Just like Raiden's/Lao's hat, any conflicting armor and accessories could fall away/be knocked off on the final hit. We've seen them do this in the past. Just my two cents.

Swindle

Philanthropist & Asshole
This is why we will probably never see variations in Injustice or traits in MK.
The Gear system in I2, with it's slots for added/changeable special moves and full loadouts, are a similar idea to MK's variations. Just more customizable. That was what I meant in my original post, about how could a gear system be implemented in an MK-type way.

KeyserSoze

Fabled Villain
The Gear system in I2, with it's slots for added/changeable special moves and full loadouts, are a similar idea to MK's variations. Just more customizable. That was what I meant in my original post, about how could a gear system be implemented in an MK-type way.
Agree. Good point.

Azarashi Elder

Fut-SEAS....OF BLOOD!
Interesting..As for the Fatality situation, I was thinking that a lot of the gear would be actual clothing pieces, and less bulky added armor. In previous MK's, even MKX, character clothing/accessories didn't respond naturally to any damage (straps didn't get cut and dangle down, cloth didn't flow open, etc.). Any fatality damage stayed consistent, regardless of materials. Another way to deal with it would be: Just like Raiden's/Lao's hat, any conflicting armor and accessories could fall away/be knocked off on the final hit....
::Shrugs::

I don't know if that would work or not. If we're talking about customizing hats, shirts, belts and boots, okay...but there's only so far you can go with that. I can see changing shirt colors and prints not being an issue, but the moment you add a jacket over that shirt, you create a new problem for yourself.

Looking at the situation from the outside, it looks like the deeper the customization system, the more of a bear it would be to fatality through it, and I fear that the two elements together limit themselves i.e.: You're either going to get some very restrained fatalities, that "miss" certain areas of the body, or you just won't be able to customize as much as you want. And if INJ2 is any indication, MK11 would be a step back in that regard.

But I'm no game programmer so, maybe it would be easier than it looks.

Swindle

Philanthropist & Asshole
::Shrugs::

I don't know if that would work or not. If we're talking about customizing hats, shirts, belts and boots, okay...but there's only so far you can go with that. I can see changing shirt colors and prints not being an issue, but the moment you add a jacket over that shirt, you create a new problem for yourself.

Looking at the situation from the outside, it looks like the deeper the customization system, the more of a bear it would be to fatality through it, and I fear that the two elements together limit themselves i.e.: You're either going to get some very restrained fatalities, that "miss" certain areas of the body, or you just won't be able to customize as much as you want. And if INJ2 is any indication, MK11 would be a step back in that regard.

But I'm no game programmer so, maybe it would be easier than it looks.
It is definitely a hurdle that would need a workaround. Hopefully, they have ideas in place to give MK fans a costume system that feels robust without limiting the Fatality system.

Crusty

Retired forever; don’t ask for games.
If you can only think about one game at a time, or have zero anticipation about what the next MK title may bring, then I pity you.
You made a thread regarding a fighting game feature returning despite the fact that the game said feature debuted in has not even been thoroughly examined by us, the consumers, yet because it's not released yet. We haven't even critiqued the gear yet and you want it to return.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
I think it'll be cooler or at least more unique, different than Injustice. I definitely don't see it as "gimmicky"

Especially if it'll be as relevant to the gameplay as it'll be in I2. The one thing I DO hope that they do with the cosmetic options is allow us the player to have free reign/palette options on the costumes, none of this "pre trim/set shader nonsense" It's cool but very limited with only what, like 20 shaders per character? Not bad, but It'll allow the player more cosmetic creativity to play around with. So for example, if I want Ermac's eyes to glow yellow, with purple rags, head wrap etc and dark green outfit I should be able to do that. Pretty much every trim option ie belts, head masks, armor garb etc we should be able to color anything we want, while the secondary color(outfit itself) as well but go deeper, have us change the glowing eyes, hair etc because for MK it's their characters not DC's so I get why they're limited with DC in Injustice regarding such, but for MK they have to be more open cosmetically imo.

For gameplay wise, I'm all for it as long as we have the same competitive options and they actually bring back good zoning, defensive options against in MK 11....

Swindle

Philanthropist & Asshole
You made a thread regarding a fighting game feature returning despite the fact that the game said feature debuted in has not even been thoroughly examined by us, the consumers, yet because it's not released yet. We haven't even critiqued the gear yet and you want it to return.
Thanks for only partially reading and barely comprehending the original post. You're a fucking miracle of modern science.

Crusty

Retired forever; don’t ask for games.
Thanks for only partially reading and barely comprehending the original post. You're a fucking miracle of modern science.
My only question is why bother. I didn't care to read the first post because I knew where this would be heading.

PapaRegadetho

All hail emperor Liucifer Kang!
As for the fatalaties and battle damage, NRS programmers have developed a thing called " gore tech 3.0" for MKX, which means they don't have to design bruises, cuts and whatever else individually like in MK9 and Injustice. I'm pretty sure they can implement gear customisation in the next MK with ease since I believe they'll be improving their gore tech as well.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
Maybe they'll bring back Kreate-a-Fighter for MK11 using a system similiar to the gear's
Probably unlikely they'll bring the KAK back... BUT I do hope they offer us the same amount of creative freedom with the colors, uniqueness of the MK 11 gears or whatever they do with it, that MKA's KAK offered. That would be sweet.

Edmund

Kitana & Skarlet
I almost hope for a back to basics kind of game, but that might just be me. Don't get me wrong, all this extra stuff is super cool and fun and all, but I would prefer more characters and more balancing as opposed to other additions. I don't see, however, how it is a problem for them to incorporate lots of color variations.