What's new

The liu kang matchup.

Hello , with liu kang being the new hot talk in the community I decided to make a guide on dealing with this character as erron specifically considering he has a few mu specifc things going for him that make this mu much easier than most characters.

First off I'd like to get into the 12 pressure/mindgame considering that's what everyone talk about atm. Due to the fact that erron has a 6f d1 this means that he can trade with liu kangs f4 after his +3 12 string and still have more advantage considering his d1 is +11 on hit while f4 is +9. You take slightly more damage (4.75 to be exact) but this is still worth doing because you're going to be +2 meaning he cant do a free f4 and instead has to guess whether or not you'll d3/d1 or not , he can obviously d1 you after the 12 and you'll obviously have to adapt. Now this Is mostly not specific to erron.

the true character specifc things come when he starts his f43 mindgame where you'd usually have to guess on multiple options but because you have a 6f d1 with garbage range you can force liu kang to play unsafe by doing f43 lowfireball as his only option to stop your 6f d1.

because of errons d1 having bad range , if you block f43 low high low (as I'll show in a demo video below) you can make his parry attempt whiff and still get a d1 out , meaning if he staggers f43 then your d1 would punish , if he does parry then the d1 will whiff , which will allow you to recover in time allowing you to get a full punish. If he does the u3 your d1 will interrupt this is shown in the video below :

If you get the d1 punish on the f43 down consistently then you basically force him to do low fire ball to stop your d1 attempts and obviously if you read that you can get a full combo punish , so basically you're forcing him to play unsafe because you have 1 move that covers every option he has except one , thus swaying the mindgame to your favour.

This obviously doesnt mean he cant do anything because if he reads you not d1ing then he can do whatever he wants. The whole purpose of this is to make the mindgame more in your favour by making him commit to unsafe moves to punish you.

PS : I'm aware erron can make kangs f43 whiff on block but from what I've tested this is not consistent and I've not found a way to make it consistent.

Last edited:
I appreciate this as I've recently picked Erron back up and have been wondering how he does in this specific matchup. Will watch the vid as soon as I get a break at work.

Cheers,

LawAbidingCitizen

Bomb Setups & Ball Rolls(Mileena/Cyrax)
Very good post, I'll add Erron has the range to punish F43xxAmpLowFireball, F43xxParry, F43xxThrow and Erron can do this on reaction if he is scouting only those 3.
He also has amazing pokes and now has very good jailing from them so now a D1 turns into your opponent having to guess 50/50's because it jails into 2111+2 On The Shoot String. I guess they can Fuzzy it but let's be real none online are gonna do that.

Very good post, I'll add Erron has the range to punish F43xxAmpLowFireball, F43xxParry, F43xxThrow and Erron can do this on reaction if he is scouting only those 3.
He also has amazing pokes and now has very good jailing from them so now a D1 turns into your opponent having to guess 50/50's because it jails into 2111+2 On The Shoot String. I guess they can Fuzzy it but let's be real none online are gonna do that.
Yeah they have take the throw or string mix after his d1 on hit , he can do b2 aswell.

Neeko

Noob
This is really useful bu also if you just block high on the first kick of his f4 then duck before the second hit comes and the 3 after the f4 will whiff and it’s been fairly consistent for me.

S+ Main

Noob
This is really useful bu also if you just block high on the first kick of his f4 then duck before the second hit comes and the 3 after the f4 will whiff and it’s been fairly consistent for me.
also if you stand block the last hit of the full string (the +on block hit) it pushes you further away so if he does and immediate f4 after it will whiff.

Neeko

Noob
Haven’t had time to play liu with this tech and the whiffing f43 in mind. Do you guys think it’s enough to make it a 6-4 mu? He still has solid zoning. Good damage, another 9f mid. B12 is very underrated(sarcasm)

Neeko

Noob
Haven’t had time to play liu with this tech and the whiffing f43 in mind. Do you guys think it’s enough to make it a 6-4 mu? He still has solid zoning. Good damage, another 9f mid. B12 is very underrated(sarcasm)
I mean 6-4 in erron fav. As I see it now I’d still have it 5-5 but I could change my mind.

Already mentioned that I couldnt get it work consistently and even then I still dont feel like it's that reliable in this mu anyways especially since this is a bug and can get hotfixed at any given moment , you can still block high low and the tech I posted would still work so you could do the 2 options , I never managed to punish the f43 if I blocked like that though but it's probably a practice mode bug considering that's been In the game for ages

Last edited:
No. He still has a 9f mid that's an auto shimmy and 2 kb grabs one of which throw loops lol , on top of that hes got decent damage unti he uses his kb then it becomes some of the best damage in the game without a doubt, the mindgame off of f43 is only the tip of the iceberg and is not even why hes considered good because largely the majority of the mindgame is in the favour of the person blocking

also if you stand block the last hit of the full string (the +on block hit) it pushes you further away so if he does and immediate f4 after it will whiff.
You micro dash after f43u3 on block THEN do your f4 and it still frametraps , you dont just do f4 right after the u3

LawAbidingCitizen

Bomb Setups & Ball Rolls(Mileena/Cyrax)
Already mentioned that I couldnt get it work consistently and even then I still dont feel like it's that reliable in this mu anyways especially since this is a bug and can get hotfixed at any given moment , you can still block high low and the tech I posted would still work so you could do the 2 options , I never managed to punish the f43 if I blocked like that though but it's probably a practice mode bug considering that's been In the game for ages
I'm not discrediting your tech but I find if you space yourself about D3 range from LK you can get the F4(3)4 to wiff consistently if you are using Cassie/Sonya/Kitana/D'Vorah and a few others with small hurtboxes.