What's new

The lack of new tech found and information about this game is killing me slowly.

We need an update patch? or the problem is that we are so good at finding stuff, and to apply knowledge from other titles/mk9/mkx to new games that they get stripped down winthin a month or two .
this is not the case with other fighting games. i hate to say it but they gone too far with this game to make it more casual friendly.

666 I HazeOner

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
Finding tech in a game like mk9 was also way harder. The community had to figure everything out themselves, in a super basic training enviroment. It took almost a year until all frame data was collected - thanks to people like drDogg and Somberness.

Also have to agree with @PLAYING TO WIN, the game is kinda basic, scrub friendly, in his words (I think mkx was that too btw). A few months back I thought it could be a good thing and attract a wider playerbase. Now I think quite opposite, I see lots of players getting bored easily. PtW was right back then, have to admit that I was wrong.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
Also have to agree with @PLAYING TO WIN, the game is kinda basic, scrub friendly, in his words (I think mkx was that too btw). A few months back I thought it could be a good thing and attract a wider playerbase. Now I think quite opposite, I see lots of players getting bored easily. PtW was right back then, have to admit that I was wrong.
It actually did attract a wider following, including our biggest showing at EVO ever. There are people playing this game who didn’t care at all about MKX or MK9.

I think it’s just impossible to please everybody with every game, and that’s ok.

wsj515

This is my billionth life cycle.
I'll repeat what I said.
A lot of the tech in this game shouldn't exist. It's the game not working properly. That isn't depth, it's a badly made game.
Dark Souls 1 had the best pvp in the series, and this was because of all the crazy mechanics that were actually unintended or bugs. Same goes with Smash Melee, etc. etc.

But I guess those were all badly made games.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
MK11 has the least depth of the last 3 games its so lame. I like that this game is more footsie oriented but the trade off is not worth it imo. Here's hoping mk12 will be better than MK9 (best MK ever)
Most fun maybe.

But people are really looking at 9 through rose tinted glasses.

Remember when cage instantly won the MU vs you if he was P1 due to P1 advantage, unless you were playing top 5?

Remember when 0 on block was +1 for P1.

Remember rooftop day vs kenshi/kabal/freddy?

Remember 0 startup buzzsaw?

Remember some chars having - on hit pokes?

Remember measuring who's top 5 by how well they did vs each other, because the rest of the cast was already 7-3d?

Gruntypants

THE MUFFINS ARE BEEFY
Most fun maybe.

But people are really looking at 9 through rose tinted glasses.

Remember when cage instantly won the MU vs you if he was P1 due to P1 advantage, unless you were playing top 5?

Remember when 0 on block was +1 for P1.

Remember rooftop day vs kenshi/kabal/freddy?

Remember 0 startup buzzsaw?

Remember some chars having - on hit pokes?

Remember measuring who's top 5 by how well they did vs each other, because the rest of the cast was already 7-3d?
Look at all that depth lmfaooo

I'm having a lot of fun in MK11 given that I play it casually, instead of competitively, now. But the gameplay of competitive MK11 just feels so flowchart and lacking in options

DrFolmer

AKA Uncle Kano
MK11 is a much more basic game - but that's a good thing. Sure MKX had "tech" but I wouldn't call hard-to-blockables and unblockable setups things that should exist in a fighting game. Quan Chi was a disaster of a design.

While there's a considerable power gap between the top tiers and the rest, I think the overall game a lot more competitive than previous titles. I do want the top to be normalized or at least have their weaknesses emphasized. Problem is, the top tiers in this game have no weakness inherently. Geras is only troubled in matchups where he whiffs his attacks - things that shouldnt be in the game. Erron is just insane, Jacqui is insane, Sonya is insane.

The game is great if you play the top 10 characters - it's a mixed bag for the rest of the cast. I have 370 hours in the game, buuuuuut it's taking its toll now.

All in all, I love the concept, but the poke system really take away from the emphasis on footsies and neutral - kind of a counter productive system in a sense. Some d1's barely grant enough advantage on hit to jail into highs, let alone online.

wsj515

This is my billionth life cycle.
Pls don't tell that to anyone serious about the pvp of those games. You're embarassing yourself.
I assume you're talking about DS1 - most of the people who played DS1 at launch and through the life span of the game would agree with me, the variety in the game in both play style and build was greater than any other iteration, and skill ceiling was way higher.

Glad you think I'm embarrassing myself though, I think the same way of anyone who disagrees with me too! Great discourse.

Every series needs something unique that justifies its place in the FGC. NRS games have always had strings and a very unique and enjoyable juggle system that separated it from other games. These were also the places that had the most exploration available. They neutered these to create a more neutral based game. The problem is that the FGC already has games heavily based on neutral and those games do a much better job of it. NRS in a way has forgotten who they are. The neutral game doesn't have the depth required to keep the game fresh. The Mid+Throw meta used to be OK because there was always this avenue of game-changing damage and advantage from unsafe/high moves. With this signature mechanic removed, the meta is stunted and the game becomes a bad version of Tekken or SF.
but apparently casuals hated the long combos of mkx because they were tired of being juggled for 5 years. now look where we are

everyone does this with every game

people are already saying this about samsho
people said it about sfv
people said it about sf4
etc etc

everyone just wants to bitch and complain

Already said it but if you think there's no tech, you obviously ain't looking cause tons of stuff is discovered daily. Just because it isn't hand fed to you here on TYM doesn't mean its not there.
ok but people who actually thoroughly enjoy samsho say it's boring. they know the deal, they really like the game anyway, and they knew what they were getting into. sf5 has definitely been a little stale. when the first beta for sf5 came out there were crazy combo routes but capcom took it away. when sf5 got revealed there was all this crazy bullshit characters could do but capcom took it away. people said sf4 was slow and a little boring but now it's known for having probably some of the most tech and combo depth in a street fighter

FrankOceansWaifu

Watch this set up.
I assume you're talking about DS1 - most of the people who played DS1 at launch and through the life span of the game would agree with me, the variety in the game in both play style and build was greater than any other iteration, and skill ceiling was way higher.

Glad you think I'm embarrassing myself though, I think the same way of anyone who disagrees with me too! Great discourse.
Dark Souls 1 is great, but let’s not kid ourselves over the busted PvP. Even Dark Souls 2 did it better, as flawed as that one is.

TotteryManx

cr. HP Master
Game is boring and more and more people are coming to this conclusion. We go around toting EVO numbers, but you could register before the game even released. I expect a massive drop off in tournament entrants after EVO.

Can't believe I'm saying this, but outside of the fixes most of us want, I think kustom variations should be tournament standard.

Sanjo

Noob
I must be one of the few who think that this MK is the best ever of the franchise and a very good fighting game in general. I had no interest in previous mks because of the lack of neutral and footsies (just like DBFZ for instance). To me, because of the flexibility the dash cancel mechanism offers, MK11 has a very rich footsie game. The throw meta is also very well thought (my favorite of all the Fighting games I played so far). The wake up game is also very rich with all the options given. I could go on and on. I'm convinced that MK11 has more depth than most think. But I guess you must be a player like me who loves neutral and footsies to enjoy it.
That's just my own opinion. I don't mean to hurt anybody's feelings.

It actually did attract a wider following, including our biggest showing at EVO ever. There are people playing this game who didn’t care at all about MKX or MK9.

I think it’s just impossible to please everybody with every game, and that’s ok.
Saying “biggest evo numbers ever” is like comparing endgame earnings to titanic. It’s a completely different time and relative. The yes man is at it again.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
Saying “biggest evo numbers ever” is like comparing endgame earnings to titanic. It’s a completely different time and relative
I’m pretty sure that more than 1500 people don’t enter a game that nobody likes even in 2019..

That number indicates strong support from communities outside of our own.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 35141

Evo in general is bigger cant assume bigger Evo number = more people interested.
People here claim mk9 had no issues and was the most fun MK yet the tournament numbers back then were weak AF, so whats the reality.
Was watching a baseball video about Barry bonds who got a huge 46 million $ contract from the pirates as a MVP nowadays thats a utility player money.
Times change