What's new

The Incredible D'vorah "Ovi-Trap"

First there were Ovi-Loops. Now, the Ovi-TRAP!

The following video is a deep dive into the timing of setting up a guaranteed bug hatch on knock down. But not only is the bug guaranteed, a meaty Down+1 Ovi Rush (DB4) becomes safe, and in combination with the guaranteed bug shuts down virtually any options they have. You won't believe your eeeeeyes!*

*you may believe your eyes

Last edited by a moderator:

Comments

Pretty good stuff that fits into the web of setups D'vorah's got neatly. We could also be sprinkling in some d1~db1s to force htbs and such.

Doesn't using amp db1, 4~df3 also guarantee this level of safety while allowing for proper mixups though? Only thing I'm not sure about is the forward roll punish, that was really nice.

I feel like I'd go for this more after a throw combo or b34 conversion than a solid launch.

Pretty good stuff that fits into the web of setups D'vorah's got neatly. We could also be sprinkling in some d1~db1s to force htbs and such.

Doesn't using amp db1, 4~df3 also guarantee this level of safety while allowing for proper mixups though? Only thing I'm not sure about is the forward roll punish, that was really nice.

I feel like I'd go for this more after a throw combo or b34 conversion than a solid launch.
Do you mean just skipping the standing 1 and going straight into standing 4 bug? The short answer is yes, it still guarantees the bug, keeps ovi rush safe, and allows to punish rolls. But the more complicated answer is that this causes the bug to hatch a few fractions of a second earlier, which no longer protects you against fatal blow punishes and may not guarantee pressure after an up3. It's all quite complex when you really test this stuff. A high placed standing 4 bug will start punishing a lot of flawless block up3s. But then you lose your pressure due to the fast bug. In the end, I decided this was the best setup to show off due to the enormous list of things that it counters.

Do you mean just skipping the standing 1 and going straight into standing 4 bug? The short answer is yes, it still guarantees the bug, keeps ovi rush safe, and allows to punish rolls. But the more complicated answer is that this causes the bug to hatch a few fractions of a second earlier, which no longer protects you against fatal blow punishes and may not guarantee pressure after an up3. It's all quite complex when you really test this stuff. A high placed standing 4 bug will start punishing a lot of flawless block up3s. But then you lose your pressure due to the fast bug. In the end, I decided this was the best setup to show off due to the enormous list of things that it counters.
Trust me I know it gets super complex. If it's not clear from the avatar, this is Coin Flip from the discord. I think my rantings on how hitboxes effect setups to such a degree speaks to my lab time.

I'm actually referring to the level of safety in going for mixups (b3, f4, throw) from skipping any s1's in the setup. I posted a video on it, but didn't really go into how safe it was. I know doing that setup into b3 will beat jumps, u2's, fatals, and doesn't allow them to pressure after an u3 wakeup, but truth be told I'm not sure how effective it is against forward rolls. I really doubt a 121+3 punish would be possible, but I don't think they'd get to pressure.

Also very interested to see the kind of conversions you can get off of people that take the bait and wakeup on your setup then get hit by amp strep. Ji3 shoulf work, but hopefully dash cancel d2.

This is why buffs and nurffs ruin fighting games... there needs to be time for the meta to develop and the tech to be found and exploited. They should put out fix patches.. like hitbox errors and stuff.... but shouldn't fuck with how they play.. let it run for like a year or more.

I hope we do not see any kind of patch until way after the entire kombat pack is released.

I have no issues for the most part because it's D'vorah and this seems to require high execution, timing. However, things like this makes me want to scream at NRS about "being able to escape corners with wake up options"

Traps like this-Hold my beer. Nice, vid explanation though.

Ok, so I've gotten around to actually labbing this and applying it to different situations, found some good things, found some not so good things.

I asked earlier about the level of safety when done from a [starter] amp db1, 4~df3 setup, and as you said d1~db4 becomes punishable, but I did find some other things because I was looking there. @Under_The_Mayo remember my plus db4 setups? Well these are subject to the same random block advantage based on hitbox size and how far back the strep is placed. In other words, if the character doesn't have a wide hitbox, this setup goes from safe d1~db4, to very plus d1~db4 because the bug has to orbit before it hits them instead of exploding at their feet.

This is where all my headaches with the plus db4 setup are about to pay off. Instead of 1, 4~df3, we can do backdash 1, 4~df3 to place the bug farther away, while maintaining everything else about the setup. This causes the strep bugs to orbit instead of explode at the feet more reliably against more of the cast. I have thus far found it impossible to do against Sub-zero and Jacqui, but I haven't been through the whole cast.

This creates a small gap that some characters are going to be able to fatal blow through if they're mashing it depending on start up animation (Scorpion because he doesn't actually move forward until late), but we can always close that gap by not backdashing or possibly just canceling into the s1 early.

All of this also got me to try amp db1, back dash cancel 4~df3 into b34. This can also change the bug distance to make it orbit, and since they're locked in a low block for a very long time, the bug hits super late. Not sure yet because it's late and I was supposed to be asleep an hour ago, but it may make b34 plus on block, and it should also beat people trying to flawless block u2 the gap. Not sure about u3, since it might invincible right through a single strep bug.

Edit: Regarding the b34 stuff mentioned in the previous paragraph, flawless blocking doesn't work, and it looks pretty plus. Hurtboxes may wreak havoc, but it's working on Sonya as of now.

There's a lot to unpack here.

#BuildthatWeb

Isn't she just so fun to research?
It's literally the main thing I do in this game. :D

Did you see the corner strep guide I made awhile back? Took me forever to do because I don't like talking on the mic, but I think that might end up the first in a series because I really only covered amplified strep.

It's literally the main thing I do in this game. :D

Did you see the corner strep guide I made awhile back? Took me forever to do because I don't like talking on the mic, but I think that might end up the first in a series because I really only covered amplified strep.
I don't know. Got a link. Maybe we can collaborate and I can put it into a more presentable format. Like I did with "Quan-fusion" in MK9.

Somebody I'm not trying to name is telling me that the non meter burned bug can be flawless blocked to avoid this setup. Not the D1, but the bug itself.

I don't know. Got a link. Maybe we can collaborate and I can put it into a more presentable format. Like I did with "Quan-fusion" in MK9.
Here you go. I tagged you and a few other people that I knew were interested in D'vorah Tech, but maybe that didn't work correctly. I thought it was weird that I got literally no comments.

https://testyourmight.com/threads/corner-strepsiptera-setup-guide.70999/

I covered this situation well, but there's just so much more. I also eventually would want to go over the hurt box stuff, make people realize the level of safety they have, when strep does/doesn't start combos, the setups you can do after landing other setups, everything available from reg df3, and of course midscreen.

I'm not opposed to a collab, but I also think I could step up my game. I have a mic and could narrate, but it's a style I never liked because if I want to review the information, I have to listen to the same section again instead of just reading the information, y'know? But trying to do that in my video made it overly wordy in this case I think. I could have narrated half of that and kept other relevant information on screen.

If you wanted to go over the info I present here in your own video, feel free. I want the word out and more people listen when you speak.

Somebody I'm not trying to name is telling me that the non meter burned bug can be flawless blocked to avoid this setup. Not the D1, but the bug itself.
Weird that you're being mysterious about a secret person saying that. But anyway, I tested it and if you stand block the d1 ovi rush, you can FB the bug, but it will not punish the ovi rush. And the entire concept here is that the bug is guarnateed and the ovi rush goes unpunished. And those two things independently of themselves I think is important too. So you don't avoid the setup at all. The setup has already completed by that point. If there's something I'm missing, could this somebody show an example?

Weird that you're being mysterious about a secret person saying that. But anyway, I tested it and if you stand block the d1 ovi rush, you can FB the bug, but it will not punish the ovi rush. And the entire concept here is that the bug is guarnateed and the ovi rush goes unpunished. And those two things independently of themselves I think is important too. So you don't avoid the setup at all. The setup has already completed by that point. If there's something I'm missing, could this somebody show an example?
I'm just avoiding sounding like a dick rider on TYM.