What's new

The Importance of Using Training Mode

Are you utilizing training mode?

• Total voters

EndofGameBoss

That's about right.
Hello my fellow TYM'ers. Recently, I have noticed a influx of people wanting nerfs or buffs for characters in our beloved game. So, today I would like to discuss the importance of training mode. I have a strong feeling a lot of users are not taking full advantage of the games feature. First, let me give you an example of a time utilizing training mode benefited me.

I, like many others was getting blown up from Takeda's EX Quick Phase and other gimmicks the first couple of days post release. I was under the assumption it wasn't punishable. Instead of throwing a fit and demanding nerfs I decided to enter training to discover why I was getting blown up. I did a few simple steps that completely changed that MU for me. First, I selected Takeda and I selected my current main for the CPU. In training I set the A.I. to always block and turned reversals on, but left it set to random. I proceeded to do the few moves that were blowing me up and to my surprise they were all punishable. Not only did I learn what is punishable and HOW to punish it, but the answer was given to me on a silver platter.

In conclusion, training mode can help you level up in 3 areas.

1. You get to practice your combos and get them down
2. You discover what is punishable and how to do so
3. Improve your reactions

Of course there are many different ways to use training mode, but it's there for you to discover. How about the rest of you. Do you take full advantage of this great feature or do you just learn combos and then complain about other characters? Remember, not everything is handed to you.

EDIT; I feel like it's more so important for new fighting game players to read this and use the feature to discover the beauty of it all.

D

Deleted member 9158

Yup, I use it extensively. I use it to hammer out combos, but also to learn what is safe and what isn't.

For instance, I used it to learn how to counter sub-zero and his icy slide, since it's really fast this time around. Turns out its hella punishable on block, and I even found some tasty tech against it on wake up with ethereal mileena.

to a extent ive been trying to use it but for some reason i didnt think to have MY character be CPU controlled while i use the enemy.

any other tips?

to a extent ive been trying to use it but for some reason i didnt think to have MY character be CPU controlled while i use the enemy.

any other tips?
I too would like to hear from any veteran players on what other tips they may have about practice mode in general

lol exactly bro thats why I asked, the pros act like its so easy when we know most of them are sharing tons of info with each other, can the scrubs get some tips lol???

/bump i know its probalby obvious to the peole who do these types of fighting games a lot. but i dont, i spent years with pc, you know how many good fighting games are on the last few years? more importantly...ones i wanted to play? (i owned SSF4 for a weekend, returned it...never again)

zoofs

bless
/bump i know its probalby obvious to the peole who do these types of fighting games a lot. but i dont, i spent years with pc, you know how many good fighting games are on the last few years? more importantly...ones i wanted to play? (i owned SSF4 for a weekend, returned it...never again)
make sure you know how to use record and playback, which is essentially you performing what you are having trouble with (i.e a string, normal, special, etc.) then setting it up so the AI repeats that constantly while you learn how to punish it (or whatever you want to do with that).

In order to do this you go to AI options, switch from custom to record, then do whatever you need to do and press stop record.

make sure you know how to use record and playback, which is essentially you performing what you are having trouble with (i.e a string, normal, special, etc.) then setting it up so the AI repeats that constantly while you learn how to punish it (or whatever you want to do with that).

In order to do this you go to AI options, switch from custom to record, then do whatever you need to do and press stop record.
a piece of the puzzle, i thankyou

tatterbug4

Bug of tater's
I've played atleast a few days of practice already lol. I go to online and get bodied because I'm not used to fighting other people yet. Working on that now tho