What's new

The Green Will Humble You - Swamp Thing Combo Thread

CrazyFingers

The Power of Lame Compels You
Most reliable corner damage & setups I have found:

F233, 11 MB Tree 11 close Vines. Super simple and excellent 1 bar damage.
F233, 11 MB Tree, D2 Clone, 1 Green Thumb. More difficult, but allows for more shenanigans b/c of GT ender.
F233, D2 Clone, 11 close Vines. Easy meterless damage.
MB F3, D2 Trait, 11 close Vines. Best corner trait setup at the moment. All the others do less damage with less reliable starters.

Midscreen Trait Setup (on block or hit):

(J2) B223 Trait, MB Roll. I don't know why more Swamp Thing players aren't doing this--it's top notch on both block and hit. Most opponents respect the gap in B223 and give you free plus frames. This setup is seriously good unless you have an opponent who dashes or stuffs your gaps.
MB F3 is a more reliable starter than literally any string into a launcher?

RNLDRGN

RONALD ROGAN
MB F3 is a more reliable starter than literally any string into a launcher?
Fishing for a wakeup or jump is easier than hoping they don't know how to block B23 or F23 into launcher IMO. If you get a whiff punish, yeah sure. But in the corner ppl wake up, jump, or MB roll. Just my experience.

But yeah you do occasionally get a nice combo starter in the corner in which case your corner trait stuff is the go-to. Landing a MB vines gives such good frame advantage and screwy wakeup timing that a dash-up into B232 Bayou Bash and hit confirming the MB is a really nice starter if you happen to sling them into the corner though.

Skedar70

Noob

F233, 11 MB Tree, D2 Clone, 1 Green Thumb. More difficult, but allows for more shenanigans b/c of GT ender.
MB F3, D2 Trait, 11 close Vines. Best corner trait setup at the moment. All the others do less damage with less reliable starters.

(J2) B223 Trait, MB Roll. I don't know why more Swamp Thing players aren't doing this--it's top notch on both block and hit. Most opponents respect the gap in B223 and give you free plus frames. This setup is seriously good unless you have an opponent who dashes or stuffs your gaps.
I will try these. Thanks.

CrazyFingers

Fishing for a wakeup or jump is easier than hoping they don't know how to block B23 or F23 into launcher IMO. If you get a whiff punish, yeah sure. But in the corner ppl wake up, jump, or MB roll. Just my experience.

But yeah you do occasionally get a nice combo starter in the corner in which case your corner trait stuff is the go-to. Landing a MB vines gives such good frame advantage and screwy wakeup timing that a dash-up into B232 Bayou Bash and hit confirming the MB is a really nice starter if you happen to sling them into the corner though.
I really love how much F2 can just bully people in the corner which is how I usually land it a ton on people. They have to guess when you press it then if I feel like it I can just do F2 xx Log. Or I can just never throw log. People get hit by the overhead a ton because they're like "oh yea he's definitely gonna do log now" and I never do xD

RNLDRGN

RONALD ROGAN
I really love how much F2 can just bully people in the corner which is how I usually land it a ton on people. They have to guess when you press it then if I feel like it I can just do F2 xx Log. Or I can just never throw log. People get hit by the overhead a ton because they're like "oh yea he's definitely gonna do log now" and I never do xD
Exactly. Unless their fuzzies are on point I will F2xLog a couple of times then go for the F23xBayou Bash starter for almost guaranteed 400+ damage lol.

Anyone got his optimals to share? I wanted to try him out for a long time now but couldn't find any decent combos, even better if high execution is needed :)

CrazyFingers

Anyone got his optimals to share? I wanted to try him out for a long time now but couldn't find any decent combos, even better if high execution is needed :)
Mid screen
*String* xx MB BF3, F23 xx DB3, 11 xx Close Vine OR B2 xx Green Thumb

F233, F23 xx DB3, 11 xx Close Vine OR 1 xx Green Thumb

B223, F23 xx DB3, 11 xx Close Vine OR 1 xx Green Thumb

Corner
*String* xx MB BF3, 1 xx DB3, B23, 11 xx Close Vine OR 11 xx Green Thumb.

F233, D2, B23, 11 xx Close Vine OR 11 xx Green Thumb.

B223, F23 xx DB3, 11 xx Close Vine OR 11 xx Green Thumb.

Mid screen
*String* xx MB BF3, F23 xx DB3, 11 xx Close Vine OR B2 xx Green Thumb

F233, F23 xx DB3, 11 xx Close Vine OR 1 xx Green Thumb

B223, F23 xx DB3, 11 xx Close Vine OR 1 xx Green Thumb

Corner
*String* xx MB BF3, 1 xx DB3, B23, 11 xx Close Vine OR 11 xx Green Thumb.

F233, D2, B23, 11 xx Close Vine OR 11 xx Green Thumb.

B223, F23 xx DB3, 11 xx Close Vine OR 11 xx Green Thumb.
Holy fuck, thx man ;)

foxof42

Thanksgiving corner game, going ham and stuffing
You should start fresh if anything with a combo thread. Once I see the patch notes and if I deem him viable I'll make a guide for him like I did Noob back in MK9. It'd be easier for everyone imo if all the competitive information for the character was in one place.
So then, viable? Doooo iiiit. ^_^

foxof42

Thanksgiving corner game, going ham and stuffing

Weirdly, b223-trait has some of the least cancel advantage/is most punishable. Or maybe it's only weird to me, I have a pretty linear understanding of frames. But anyways, b23 and f23 appear to be the safest to cancel into trait on block at around -6.

ChoseDeath

Seriously Casual Player.
I always feel like Swamp Thing resents you. I feel like you are that guy who bullied the fat chick that had a crush on you. Later she developed into a beautiful lady and you tried to hit on her when she got in your taxicab.
LMFAO!!!

I'm not sure why. But a lot of combo threads seem to be completely abandoned by their OP. This needs to stop. It's ridiculous having a thread dedicated to a character's optimal BnBs only to have it abandoned and made almost useless.

A lot of his BnBs and Set-ups are scattered throughout different places, or several pages down from the initial OP when they should all be on the first page. I'm willing to compile them all in an easy to read format and post it here if someone can tell me what all of his BnBs/Set-ups are, or point me in the right direction to start collecting them myself.

I really want to give Swamp Ass Thing another shot after the recent patches. But not being able to go over all of what the character can do in a single place just seems stupid to me in this day and age. I'm sorry for the rant. But I'm tired of having to go through several threads and youtube videos just to learn a single character.

Also thank you to everyone who has stayed with the character all this time and that has put in the work labbing and sharing what it is that they've learned. You the real MVPs.

Last edited: