What's new

The graphics difference between MKX and MK11, and the comparison to Injustice 2.

Nickolaidas

Agent of Chaosrealm
Seriously, it looks insane. And the two games are made for the same consoles. Yes, I know it's been four years, but MK11 looks like a next-gen game compared to MKX. I was expecting more of a MK5-MK6 difference, but MK11 looks leaps and bounds better.

I wonder if that is because MKX was originally also attempted to be for PS3/X360 until they finally scrapped the idea, while MK11 was made to fully embrace the PS4/X1 hardware.

How much better do you think that MK11 looks compared to Injustice 2? Personally, I think it looks more or less the same, which 'helps' my PS3/X360 argument. The graphics improvement jump is nowhere near as large as with MKX. MK11 looks five times better than MKX, while looking more or less identical with Injustice 2.

MKX vs MK11

IJ2 vs MK11

EDIT: Many thanks to LawAbidingCitizen for providing me with these links!

Last edited:

xWildx

What a day. What a lovely day.
Not gonna lie, kind of disappointed there weren’t pictures for comparison in the OP lol

But yes, MK11 looks wonderful. The fact that the camera is zoomed in so close helps to show off how beautiful the character models are, too.

I wonder if that is because MKX was originally also attempted to be for PS3/X360 until they finally scrapped the idea, while MK11 was made to fully embrace the PS4/X1 hardware.
It is a possibility - but generally you make something the highest quality required/possible, then dumb it down as needed dependent on the limiting factors.

It's more than likely they've created ways to cram in higher quality textures & models, and just streamline things to get the most out of the systems.

Not having played I2 for quite a while, i'd still say the MK11 is looking better than that.

LawAbidingCitizen

Bomb Setups & Ball Rolls(Mileena/Cyrax)
Honestly man. It's hard to look at MKX now. The monster characters still look great, but man the humans look like they're made out of mud.
Yep I have MKX fired up right now, aside from Triborg which actually looks dope the characters look like claymation. The hair is horrible though except Mileena.

xXRagingFlameXx

I'm a bad bitch, you can't kill me
It's hard to even compare MKX to MK11. At the time MKX was great. I remember being like "Omg these are some of the best graphics I've seen wow."

Well, those graphics aged like milk. At least when it comes to the character models or textures like others have pointed out. Very muddy looking.

LawAbidingCitizen

It's hard to even compare MKX to MK11. At the time MKX was great. I remember being like "Omg these are some of the best graphics I've seen wow."

Well, those graphics aged like milk. At least when it comes to the character models or textures like others have pointed out. Very muddy looking.
I agree, at the time MKX looked stunning then IJ2 came out and then MK11 blew them out of the water.

LawAbidingCitizen

Graphics comparison between Injustice 2, Mortal Kombat XL and Mortal Kombat 11:

MKX vs MK11
Huge difference between them MK11 blows X away!

IJ2 vs MK11

Both games look amazing but we can still see a difference between the two. MK11 shows more attention to detail being closer up and has a darker feel which I very much like, animations are more flashy and graphic heavy while running at 4K 60fps. It's amazing how far we have come especially since MK11 was released on the same Gen as IJ2 and MKX.

@Nickolaidas
Maybe you can add these to the OP and even take screenshots of the in game graphics for comparison. I think 11 takes the cake cut that's only my opinion.

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
I hope they make the stages and colors even more vibrant in the final build of the game, we don't want another dull color palette like in MKX. The game already looked gorgeous in the stress test, I can't wait to see what it'll look like on release day.

smaddy

I'm your huckleberry
I believe if I'm not mistaken that the majority of footage they've shown for MK11 has been on an Xbox One X as well, so its likely been enhanced for 4k and HDR which certainly helps it standout from MKX as well. I noticed a difference when they added HDR later on in I2 once the 4k consoles were available, MK11 looks even better as they knew they had extra horsepower to utilize right out of the gate.

Nickolaidas

Agent of Chaosrealm
I find it ironic that Cassie Cage (whose face was ridiculed at the first MK11 trailers) has turned out to be the greatest evolution from her MKX counterpart. She looks stunning. As others have said, it looks like a generation leap.

Amazing.

MKX Cassie looks like some NPC taken out of Skyrim.

Also, another factor that can't be viewed in pictures is the detail in the facial animations. MK11 blows MKX out of the water ten times more in that department.

pure.Wasted

'ello baby, did you miss me?
Seriously - the subtle facial expressions on Liu Kang and Kung Lao as they are watching Geras resurrect in the most recent story trailer are just incredible.
I love the fact that the expressions are subtle.

They're both making the perfect "da fuuuUUUQ?" faces.

The performances, and the way the actors are being directed, are actually shockingly on point. Gorgeous looking characters and animations wouldn't be worth shit if the actors and directors didn't know how to take advantage of it.

OzzFoxx

Hardcore gaming poser.
God I remember my prepubescent friends and I watching the bike FMV from FF7 saying, “Dude the engine graphics will be this good when our kids are playing video games.” Who knew the graphics would be that good in a couple years from then, let alone this good for my kids. Hmmm... I just realized my first sentence sounds like I had children with prepubescent kids. I didn’t. Just saying the graphics improvement has been insane since those good old days.

Reactions: Zev