What's new

The Gradual Simplification of Fighting Games

... but my main concern is this stifled offense being NRS' main focus going forward.
That I wouldn't panic over at this point. Look at Mortal Kombat: Komplete Editon. Look at how differently Mortal Kombat XL played from it. Look at Mortal Kombat 11 Ultimate and how differently it played from that.

NetherRealm Studios does change how the franchise plays every game, and while it's possible they will ultimately stick with a formula, I have a feeling Mortal Kombat 12 will also play differently again.

Rude

You will serve me in The Netherrealm
Look, any jackass can make a sub-optimal, "swag" combo video and post it on Twitter for clout. That is meaningless. As someone that traveled pretty frequently for MKX, I can tell you that the vast majority of players - including top players - used the same, optimal bnbs. Sure, there was some variance or a neat conversion from time to time, but you didn't have these 922 hit, 23% combos every match.

A fighting game is not a medium for you to, "express yourself," whatever that means in the context of using pre-programmed, dial-in strings in a piece of commercial media created for max profitability during late-stage capitalism, it's a video game. You want to express yourself? Write a haiku. No one actually gives a fuck.

This false narrative people paint where every player used combos as a canvas to express their fee-fees is utter horseshit. It just isn't true. The overwhelming consensus of players used what was optimal for the situation. It's that simple.

Kiss the Missile

Red Messiah
A fighting game is not a medium for you to, "express yourself," whatever that means in the context of using pre-programmed, dial-in strings in a piece of commercial media created for max profitability during late-stage capitalism, it's a video game. You want to express yourself? Write a haiku. No one actually gives a fuck.
Ridiculous af. There's mad character loyalists out there who simply enjoy using weird or flashy shit.

"No one gives a fuck"
I can't speak for anyone else, but I don't do it for you, I do it for myself. If a character isn't stimulating that need for dexterity then I can't have fun with them.

Rude

Ridiculous af. There's mad character loyalists out there who simply enjoy using weird or flashy shit.

"No one gives a fuck"
I can't speak for anyone else, but I don't do it for you, I do it for myself. If a character isn't stimulating that need for dexterity then I can't have fun with them.
By "mad" character loyalists, you're talking about pot monsters. No one gives a shit if you go 0-2 while doing some bullshit 20-hit, 15% combo because scaling is a thing.

Play characters with more execution or games with higher execution? You are stating a preference but treating that preference as some kind of objective flaw with the game. It isn't.

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
The funny thing is, NRS seemed to do the exact opposite with MK11. The competitive/tournament mode had far more limitations than the casual ones. On the surface that makes sense, considering the more limited a game is the easier it is to balance. But the problem is competitive players don’t want to be limited anymore than casual players do. You shouldn’t have to cut off access to half of your game in order to make it “competitive”. The problem is NRS trying to essentially make the game competitive for us. Again, on the surface that makes sense, but it never seems to end up working out.

I think they should instead make every character be ridiculous, with tons of options and depth, but also make the characters able to be effective on the basic level so casuals can enjoy the game as well. NRS thinks competitive players want a controlled game, when what a lot of us really want is a chaotic game that WE can control.

Just my 2 cents
Agreed entirely.

These topics are always just massive piles of people conflating one issue with another and trying to pass off objective answers to subjective situations.

As a complete nobody a few things i've observed-

1. The conflation of difficulty with depth is bullshit.

Yes there should probably some level of "harder to do stuff", but the line on that seems hazy at best and arbitrary execution is 100x worse than "dumbing down" on the effect it'll have on the game done wrong. SFIV isn't good because of 1 frame links. It's good IN SPITE OF 1 frame links, and is extra funny because thanks to plinking they AREN'T 1 frame links. So they made a game filled with 1 frame links and then left in some dumb button pleasuring nonsense so that anyone could do them with consistency. Just make the fucking things 2-3 frames.

Or we could talk about the holy grail of stupid execution and just add L canceling to mk. I LOVE how melee plays at a high level and i'll go to the fucking barricades saying the game would be 100% better if they just removed L canceling entirely and adjusted a few moves to account for it (I think you'd need to do barely any). SHFF combos are still going to be fucking hard and very impressive and while there's some hard core elitists who swear it just won't be as good as watching SHFFL combos they probably need a hug and a drink.

Realistically i think it's fine to want an easier game, so long as you're smoothing out the difficulty curve, not flattening it.

2. What most people actually want are real choices/risk reward.

The reason that people think difficulty = good is because it can lead to lots of options. We like options, but only if they're meaningful. Very few people like RPG's where you can get +1% stat boosts for a million granular things (and often devolve into a few builds anyways) vs ones where you might only have a few choices, but they're all massively game changing. The whole problem, for example, with variations/custom movesets with MK11 is it's just hard to balance. If the NRS team can't put the time in to really give these variations/moves a reason to exist, then at best it's casual bait. I'm sure they could probably make a 5 character, 3 variation, fighter well, but the more you add the harder it gets and dev time is absolutely a limited resource. Sooo many suggestions boil down to "well why didn't they do fucking everything" and it just flys in the face of the realities of the very complicated development cycles these things go through.

Related to this, and back to combos, i doubt many people want some arbitrary SNK pretzel motion to do 2% more damage than the easier one. We do want the ability to maybe take a harder to confer route (probably due to spacing judgement calls) for extra damage, or a spot with good potential reset setups. These things can be hard, but they don't NEED to be, and I don't really think theres anything wrong going in either direction for it.

3. Just because MK11 has done all of this badly doesn't mean it can't be done well-

To me the critical problem with MK11 is what i call "spreadsheet balance".

MK9 is all about "here's a pile of broken shit for each character, it mostly work". Cyrax will one touch you, kenshi will kill you from another zip code, sub zero will lock you in a corner and abuse you, johnny cage will put you in gross pressure and chip off half your life if you're lucky, etc. Outside of kabal being just a little too good at everything for the games health, i think it works well. Everyone (who's playable) is oozing character, and it's very similar to something like MvC2/MvC3/Melee.

Conversely, MK11's issue isn't "footsies are boring" or "KB's take out skill" or whatever. It's that everything feels so god damn similar. Almost every meterless conversion nets the same damage. Almost every metered conversion nets the same damage. Almost all zoning feels the same. It's like walking into the world largest ice cream store and finding out they have 175 flavors of barely different tasting vanilla with food dye and then the usual chocolate, strawberry, and for some reason fucking pistachio. There's some really cool moves/concepts hidden in this mess, but they don't do enough. It's like someone sat down, mathed out that "3 combos to a kill is good" and then ran a standardization algo over everyone to make sure no one does anything "too unfair".

SFV suffered HARD from this, and arguably still does, but fuck at least I can pick bison and bully people in the corner with by looping + strings and chipping off half their health. If i tried putting him in MK11 i'd probably be walked into a therapy session with the designers and asked to talk about my hostile feelings becuase this game feels like someone put speed limits and stop lights in a rally race. There is something really cool here but some weird fear of how that'd work out has led to it getting in it's own fucking way over and over again. And for the record I think Samurai Showdown V SP is one of treasures of fighting games so i'm pretty sure it's not the footsies turning me off.

4. Competitive is just marketing but it's important marketing.

At the end of the day the only reason any company gives a damn about competitive is because it can drive sales for a game that's 3 years old when some clip goes viral or it becomes a cult classic (and often drive sales of the NEXT game). With the advent of DLC this has become even more important, but it was always about "oh shit people buy more games if they're well made.". It's an niche genre, but yes you have to design for both the casuals and the comp players. Melee is still THE smash game because like all smash games it's inherently easy for a beginner to feel like they're actually doing something, but it also allows for a whole bunch of crazy bullshit at the highest level (which again i think L canceling could be ripped out and it'd still be fine).

Unfortunately it's a lot easier to spreadsheet balance than it is to get really good asymmetric balance, so the comp players suffer and so does the comp scene.

Further casuals know that "play 8 random fights" is a trash mode for them too, but don't care enough to not buy a game over it, so they're not getting anything better either.

NRS has been really smart here by actually fleshing out shit that casuals do care about. It's crazy that MKX was the first game i can think of that had unique, voice acted/animated, pre fight lines. It's a lot of work to do, but it's decently simple (no crazy coding going on), and yet we STILL have generic text on the screen bullshit on so many other games. That + a main game plot that huffs slightly less paint than it's competitors (which is a shame because mk9 was legit) is doing a LOT of the legwork, along with the classic draw of "see all the fatalities".

Oh and mostly unrelated but guest characters aren't going away, deal with. If Spawn, Robocop, Joker, and Rambo don't boost DLC sales, then whatever whatever character you've got plastered all over you walls (it's mileena isn't it) certainly isn't making it in because they're going to stop making dlc after that one. They aren't "taking their spot", they're literally making it possible to add more because there's a hell of a lot more joker wannabe's who'll shell out cash to watch him be edgy in this game than thirsty mileena/rain/tremor/mokap fans.

As for strive (since it's going to be topical)-

First, no it's not as deep as previous GG's, but it doesn't help people ALWAYS compare the last iteration of a series to a brand new one. Who here is just dying for a good round of some Vanilla SF4? That's what everyone's talking about when they mean SFIV was better than SFV right? 70% AA sagat conversions? Of course not. Fuck ST is the OG "well why is this better than all the new stuff" and it's the fucking 5th version of that game.

I think it's mostly made some brilliant decisions (RC system is the best yet, wall breaks are a neat way to solve the corner problem, potentially high damage is great when so many games are trying to make everything do 30%, still full of oppressive gg bs), but is dealing with growing pains (meter gain might need to be higher, it's TOO easy to convert every touch to a wall break for most of the cast, ditto on damage, some of the oppressive bs right now is just boring).

They've been smart to not overreact and knee jerk patch. This lets them launch their first DLC character (so they can see what his issues are as well)
and tweak on relevant data/feedback not just week one twitter storms. The future of the game may depend a lot on what these first patches show their priorities to be, but all the parts are there and I think they're on track to make another classic. Nerf a some damage/combo routes, boost the meter gain, and fucking go for it. A game where I-No can blue burst to slow the block recovery frames of her opponent so she can fuzzy guard them doesn't sound "too shallow" to me.

Oh and most importantly, it's a AAA fighting game with good visuals, decently easy execution to get the basics, and competent netcode. It's selling well with a menu screen that's longer than a boss fight. That should tell you a lot about what does and doesn't matter and also makes it impossible to compare to previous games because rollback is just that important. I don't think the game does nearly as well if they make it as hard as some of the older games (fuck FRC's) , but just having decent netcode and their usual glorious presentation is pulling so much weight.

RoboCop

The future of law enforcement.
Administrator
Premium Supporter
Look, any jackass can make a sub-optimal, "swag" combo video and post it on Twitter for clout. That is meaningless. As someone that traveled pretty frequently for MKX, I can tell you that the vast majority of players - including top players - used the same, optimal bnbs. Sure, there was some variance or a neat conversion from time to time, but you didn't have these 922 hit, 23% combos every match.

This false narrative people paint where every player used combos as a canvas to express their fee-fees is utter horseshit. It just isn't true. The overwhelming consensus of players used what was optimal for the situation. It's that simple.
I gotta say, I wholeheartedly disagree. You're correct that kombos are either optimal or not, but that's not where self-expression comes into play. Players are fully able to express themselves in the neutral. Have you never realized a specific player was controlling the character just based on the way the character was being played? Have you never seen someone play a character and thought they reminded you of another specific player? Playstyle is like a fingerprint, and even in a game as limited as MK11 you can tell different players apart just based on their playstyle.

I'm not saying players are intentionally trying to "express themselves" when they play, but the argument that fighting games can't be used as a medium for such expression is lacking, I think.

Rude

I gotta say, I wholeheartedly disagree. You're correct that kombos are either optimal or not, but that's not where self-expression comes into play. Players are fully able to express themselves in the neutral. Have you never realized a specific player was controlling the character just based on the way the character was being played? Have you never seen someone play a character and thought they reminded you of another specific player? Playstyle is like a fingerprint, and even in a game as limited as MK11 you can tell different players apart just based on their playstyle.

I'm not saying players are intentionally trying to "express themselves" when they play, but the argument that fighting games can't be used as a medium for such expression is lacking, I think.
When you're talking about "expressing yourself," I can't help but feel like you're conflating it with the difference between a mid level player and a higher tier one. In order to "express yourself," you must first actually have something to say.

Pray tell then, is the message of a training room swag combo that rarely ever gets used in real matches? What is the emotion being communicated? What is the theme? Other than, "look what I can do," there is none.

Self-expression is just one in a long line of phrases that the FGC has run into meaninglessness along with "depth" and "neutral." Ask ten different people what they think this means, they'll give you ten different answers depending on who taught them, what game they started with, their level of commitment, etc. It's arbitrary to the point of meaninglessness.

As far as a, "unique fingerprint" is concerned, all that's being done is that the tools/characters/meta are being figured out. The first guy to play x character optimally gets the e-clout of, "inventing" the character, but all the tools were always there. Nothing they're doing is outside of what has been coded.

You want expression? A video game made to appeal to the largest possible audience in order to maximize sales during late-stage capitalism isn't it.

Rude

One more thing I forgot to add: In my post, I specifically stated the vast majority of players. You're arguing for niche examples, but I'm talking about the overwhelming consensus.

RoboCop

Administrator
Premium Supporter
When you're talking about "expressing yourself," I can't help but feel like you're conflating it with the difference between a mid level player and a higher tier one. In order to "express yourself," you must first actually have something to say.

Pray tell then, is the message of a training room swag combo that rarely ever gets used in real matches? What is the emotion being communicated? What is the theme? Other than, "look what I can do," there is none.

Self-expression is just one in a long line of phrases that the FGC has run into meaninglessness along with "depth" and "neutral." Ask ten different people what they think this means, they'll give you ten different answers depending on who taught them, what game they started with, their level of commitment, etc. It's arbitrary to the point of meaninglessness.

As far as a, "unique fingerprint" is concerned, all that's being done is that the tools/characters/meta are being figured out. The first guy to play x character optimally gets the e-clout of, "inventing" the character, but all the tools were always there. Nothing they're doing is outside of what has been coded.

You want expression? A video game made to appeal to the largest possible audience in order to maximize sales during late-stage capitalism isn't it.
I'm not, it has nothing to do with player skill, it's just about how specific players play specific characters. Yes, there are common patterns and optimal routes you will see a lot, like Kano players mashing d1 after their plus string, but you can also play 10 different Kano players and have to adapt to 10 different playstyles.

You still seem to be hung up on swag kombos, but like I said in my previous post, I'm not talking about kombos. We are in agreement that kombos aren't expression, except for possibly those kombo artists who get enjoyment just from creating insane kombos and not from competing.

Just because 10 people have 10 answers doesn't mean 9 of those answers aren't wrong. For example, there is a concrete definition of Neutral. This site seems to have most of the generally-agreed-upon definitions. https://glossary.infil.net/?t=Neutral

On a piano, all of the keys are already there. The pianist is just working with what's already been provided, the way a fighter is working with the tools that have been coded. Yes, play adapts as players figure out the game, the same way a pianist is able to play increasingly complex music or enhance their mastery of previous material. When a kid in Minecraft creates a palace, they are only working with what's been coded.

We aren't robots and there is no such thing as 100% "optimal" play, mostly because you can't apply the word "optimal" to the neutral. We are constantly making decisions and planning and doing risk\reward assessments. Our personalities and experiences and skill and physical ability all contribute to those decisions, hence my "fingerprint" comment.

Would you call Minecraft a creative game? If so, I'm not sure what the "late stage capitalism" comment has to do with anything. The creator of Minecraft, one of the most insanely successful games of all time, outbid Jay-Z and Beyonce for their house and is currently worth 1.7 BILLION dollars. And that game is meant to appeal to far more people than any fighter, due to fighters being so niche.

One more thing I forgot to add: In my post, I specifically stated the vast majority of players. You're arguing for niche examples, but I'm talking about the overwhelming consensus.
I'm afraid I don't understand this comment. I'm not arguing that players actively try to express themselves in fighting games, as I stated at the end of my previous post. You're saying self expression isn't possible in fighting games and I'm saying I disagree. I'm not sure what this comment is addressing.

DeftMonk

Noob

I think OP is referring to “combo artists” that have no idea how to play the game but post crazy combos u would never go for in a match as a combo compilation.

The problem with mk11 and other games that are being extremely simplified like gg strive (ya idgaf i know its popular) for me doesn’t lie in just the combos. Some amount of freedom for combos as far as what the desired result u want is always good (wall carry/reset/vortex/hkd + oki /and more). But removing x amount of routes combined with nerfing the power of mix and set play moves like traps/debuffs/oki options while simultaneously buffing defensive options across the board kinda removes the feeling of (for lack of a better term) shmooving. Shmooving is fun. Just overwhelming your opponent with wide array of offensive options while being optimal as possible.

This is one reason I prefer tag fighters more and more because the more these 1v1 mainstream fighters get dumbed down I don’t really get that level of excitement from them. They are all starting to feel like sfv (not a bad game I would just prefer mk to feel like mk gg to feel like gg etc)

RoboCop

Administrator
Premium Supporter
I think OP is referring to “combo artists” that have no idea how to play the game but post crazy combos u would never go for in a match as a combo compilation.

The problem with mk11 and other games that are being extremely simplified like gg strive (ya idgaf i know its popular) for me doesn’t lie in just the combos. Some amount of freedom for combos as far as what the desired result u want is always good (wall carry/reset/vortex/hkd + oki /and more). But removing x amount of routes combined with nerfing the power of mix and set play moves like traps/debuffs/oki options while simultaneously buffing defensive options across the board kinda removes the feeling of (for lack of a better term) shmooving. Shmooving is fun. Just overwhelming your opponent with wide array of offensive options while being optimal as possible.

This is one reason I prefer tag fighters more and more because the more these 1v1 mainstream fighters get dumbed down I don’t really get that level of excitement from them. They are all starting to feel like sfv (not a bad game I would just prefer mk to feel like mk gg to feel like gg etc)
I believe you're correct, which is why I address kombos in my post. I initially said I didn't think kombos were a form of self expression, but I might have changed my mind. For example, I am purely an online warrior and due to the drastic variety of connections I have to play in, I don't care about optimal kombos. I almost exclusively stick to the most reliable kombos I can find, even if it means giving up a few points of damage. That is a verifiable aspect of my play, so when you see another RoboCop player doing optimals, you can tell it's not me playing. I care more about reliability than swag or max damage, and that aspect of my personality comes through in my play. By using those sub-optimal kombos, I am unintentionally expressing myself.

DeftMonk

Noob
I believe you're correct, which is why I address kombos in my post. I initially said I didn't think kombos were a form of self expression, but I might have changed my mind. For example, I am purely an online warrior and due to the drastic variety of connections I have to play in, I don't care about optimal kombos. I almost exclusively stick to the most reliable kombos I can find, even if it means giving up a few points of damage. That is a verifiable aspect of my play, so when you see another RoboCop player doing optimals, you can tell it's not me playing. I care more about reliability than swag or max damage, and that aspect of my personality comes through in my play. By using those sub-optimal kombos, I am unintentionally expressing myself.
What options does robocop have though really? Don't tell me you have been cheating on Murphy...

RoboCop

Administrator
Premium Supporter
What options does robocop have though really? Don't tell me you have been cheating on Murphy...
Just little things, like after f42 you can dash and get a b2 against most characters, but it's very inconsistent and only adds like 2% damage, so I always leave it out. I played Noob and Raiden before RoboCop was released and used similar tactics with them, always going for reliability over maximum damage.

Playstyle is like a fingerprint, and even in a game as limited as MK11 you can tell different players apart just based on their playstyle.
I do recall a match from a few months ago (maybe Kolisseum?), two players used the same character and each playstyle was a polar opposite of each other. Really interesting to see and shows that it's not just about optimal combos, but how you use the character and their tools that dictates how they play.

Sure optimals are the quickest way to win a match, but it's not the only way to play the game, even if the endgame is to always win.