What's new

The Goofy Things I Need To Stop Doing

Espio

Kokomo
It's time for a different kind of thread, one for self awareness and self reflection. Dispersing blame off of ourselves is a common trait and defense mechanism, we all have done it before, but it doesn't mean we have to pretend every frustrations comes exclusively from the game. We can have things we don't like about the game, but for the purposes of this thread, I need to know what are some things you personally feel you should stop doing that will help you get better.

I'll start us off.

1. I really need to stop using unsafe gimmicks so much. Playing ranked where people don't respect certain things on block, I really started doing unsafe staff spin cancels with Jade to make people respect me on block or open them up that way and it's extremely detrimental against great players that aren't going to simply mash buttons so much on block.

2. I need to block more not only is respecting stuff a mind game in and of itself. It can help you bait stuff and open people up. It gives you the chance to see your opponent's tendencies and then respond accordingly to counter those tendencies.

3. I need to vary my wake up game. I don't wake up up 3 or roll enough as it currently stands and these would really make my options a lot stronger and less predictable.

These are just some of the many things I can improve on to be a better player, very curious what others think they need to improve on.

Baconlord

Proud follower of the church of Cetrion
I always assume that my opponent knows my character as well as I do. I find myself not going for certain options because I know of some gap or problem in the tech and just figure that my opponent will blow me up for it when in reality they probably have no fucking idea what my character really does.

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
I do unsafe things because I know it leads to more damage or KBs, especially in the corner, and I always get blown up for it. Like low gunshots on block, I need to get better at confirming it on hit and stop pressing it on block hoping that it'll connect.

I need to get better at AAs with B3 because it leads to a lot of damage and a restand.

B. Shazzy

NRS shill #42069
golly u guise are such goofsters

i admit im a little bit of gafster myself. when people mash their pokes i keep thinking its my turn because minus frames in fighting games in every other fg taught me that lul. but mk11 taught me that its not actually my turn.

Crusty

Retired forever; don’t ask for games.
I need to sometimes block on hit. I avoid doing so at times because most people I’ve ever fought try gimmicks.

Tanya-Fan-28

TanyaShouldBeInMK11
For me i constantly have to remind my self that players have and WILL wakeup attack after knockdowns because my dumbass always stay near them before getting whacked in the face with Skarlets U3 blood axe. Vice-versa, I always forget that players will know I'm going to use Jades U3 and will either step back or neutral jump and whiff punish me. The closes thing to improving is I started parrying players getups with db3 ex and it was lowkey satisfying.
My worse weakness is that I get-by with 50/50s so if I win its not necessarily skill other than a generous rock-paper-lawnmower outcome for me. I play on a generic flatscredn and on wi-fi so there's that handi-cap. I can't wait untill I can afford a moniter and wired wi-fi repeater. Can wi-fi repeaters be wired?

CO-KANO

psn: UNFUCxWITABLE_1
I random kanoball all the damn time and get blown up for it and then i always tend to look at the left of the screen’s meter even if mine is at the right of the screen and i sometimes run on an empty meter while thinking it’s full and i’ll go for some unsafe meter burning shit and then get killed for it. I’m retarded.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
-Gotta get better at AA on reaction. I'm pretty good at it on read, but on reaction I let people jump to often.

-Same with throws. I tech throws pretty good, but rarely can duck them to punish. There's just something about letting go of block to duck a throw when an opponent can full combo you with mids that I can't get past.

-When I'm in the corner I'm a fish outta water. I've struggled getting out of the corner since MKX, I'll go to high risk to try to get out getting full combo'd and place right back.

-Scorpion's teleport needs to be toned down. Fatal Blows need to be adjusted asap. Oh did you think I'd miss a chance to mention these abominable atrocities? Never.

DDustiNN

MK11 Pocket Guide: Koming Soon to the App Store
I do unsafe things all the time, because Kano.

I also need to stop trying to YOLO Kano-ball from across the screen when the opponent is backing away and waiting for me to do something. It almost never works. Yet I keep doing it. I just can’t stand people who constantly run away, so I’m always trying to close the gap, because full-screen keep-away in fighting games is boring and stupid (on both sides).

DanCock

Cock Master!!
i need to have patience, i get to jittery and start throwing things out there when i dont have too.

I do unsafe things all the time, because Kano.

I also need to stop trying to YOLO Kano-ball from across the screen when the opponent is backing away and waiting for me to do something. It almost never works. Yet I keep doing it. I just can’t stand people who constantly run away, so I’m always trying to close the gap, because full-screen keep-away in fighting games is boring and stupid (on both sides).
dirt bag kano and i want my opponent full screen away. i love having that armor charged up and throwing those knifes lol

stokedAF

casual kahnage
I need stop playing ONLY shao kahn lol. He’s still a lot of fun but I can’t help but think some games would be ridiculously easier with somebody else. I wanted to hop on Shang but I been into the Kombat league thing recently and kahn is the only character I know.

Mk11 was the first game I have ever “mained” a character but I think I took it too far. It’s not because I’m bored with the character either, I just need other options. Maybe a character for scorpion and sub who give me the most trouble. I’m not skilled enough to make kahn work against them but I try anyway. Constantly. I need to learn scorpion honestly lol. It’s dumb that I don’t since I’m venturing out of kasual customs.

I need to remember that Geras u2 wakeup always goes 1/3rd farther than i think it will so i need to block it instead of trying to whiff punish it.

I need to remember to duck then d2 kb. Instead of trying to d2

MURK

Noob
Love this thread...

I need to work on my execution. I leave so much damage on the table and it's due to my lack of practicing the optimal combos.

I also need to work on my anti airing. I love a strong ground game because I simply hate the idea of jumping but I noticed in previous fighting games, I always had a habit of letting opponents jump in on me for free when I could have easily checked them with some sort of AA. It's gotten alot better in mk11 but I still have more work to be done.

Other than those two issues, I'm a very well rounded player

AbeW

Noob
golly u guise are such goofsters

i admit im a little bit of gafster myself. when people mash their pokes i keep thinking its my turn because minus frames in fighting games in every other fg taught me that lul. but mk11 taught me that its not actually my turn.
It was your turn. But, you just took too long scratching your ass with your laggy tv and wireless internet.