What's new

Question - Balanced The good, the bad and the ugly matchups of Balanced

ismael4790

Stay focused or get Caged
After all these months since last patch hit, we all have been getting used to the changes of our characters, and I'm interested in seeing the opinion of fellow Kenshi players (specially Balanced players, if they exist yet) about this variation in terms of matchups.

Not specially interested in precise numbers (that is always up to debate), but in your opinion on how some of his matchups have changed since October, which you think got better, which got worse, which stayed more or less the same and why.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
I think Grandmaster Sub is still 6-4 in favor of Balanced. Losing EX RK made Sub's jump ins a little better, but he never needed it to anti air Sub because Kenshi's D2 will beat Sub-Zero's jump ins pretty consistently. The stamina changes favor Kenshi in this matchup as well as his new 2 hit plus armor. Fun matchup.

I think Dragon's Fire Liu Kang and Piercing Mileena still beat Balanced 7-3, but it's a little better than what it was pre patch.

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
There's no reason not to use Possessed.

And I LOVE Balanced. It's my #1 above all others main.
But at this stage of the game, you're hindering yourself doing anything else.

If we'd gotten to keep EX RK's armor, we'd be gucci.
But we are not. We are not gucci at all.

DC4-3

Low tier button masher.
Lasher vs. Balanced feels like a 6-4 matchup.

Buzzsaw vs. Balanced feels like 6-4 but it could be 5-5.

If you think I'm wrong that's fine. I don't use balanced as much anymore, but I'm one of the few that are still around.

ismael4790

Some comments, if more explanation is needed I can expand.

Imo Balanced now beats all Cages. Not mk9 style, but he wins, specially to A-List which is the one that suffered the most from stamina changes. He beats jax of course. In general any character without teleport, projectile and/or a good way to get in fast can have some problems vs Balanced since the stamina changes.

About dragon's fire liu, it used to be considered 8-2 and now it's a bit better just because Liu has to think a bit due to new ex push. Can't do braindead b1 to break all the armor kenshi had. Still 7-3 imo, Liu keeps all the rest of things that make the matchup suck.

Hqt is not even a matchup, it's a rape. Period. Dominates everywhere.

Nimble rep is still bad but changes in his armor make him less threatening from fullscreen. Also push being -10 is very good in this matchup.

Mileena is still a bad matchup but doesn't feel like the struggle it was before. Same happens with Cassie.

Cristalline Tremor is a very bad matchup. He can close distances very well, and flex limits options.

Mournful matchup sucks. She has better zoning and reflect doesn't properly reward the majority of times, for instance she doesn't give af about an aerial projectile getting reflected, she recovers in time to avoid it unless specific close distance where the reflect is basically a read. Ex glaive is a pain in the ass and can't be reflected. The other kitanas also do better than before since exrk was huge in this matchup.

About Lao, all three variations do better against Balanced than before. Tempest is equal, the rest win.

Jason is a very interesting matchup. I think he has slight advantage, but Balanced definitely has a chance if all tech is exploited.

I might be forgetting some, will update in that case.

Last edited:

ismael4790

What about Takeda in general?
It's not one those matchups where Balanced is super comfortable, but I don't think it's bad.

Ronin has no teleport to punish whiffed flurry and can feel tempted to do a tornado to get in, which Balanced can reflect into full combo. The other two can be a bit more problematic cause a character with teleport always forces to play very carefully vs him.

Kitana 10-0 Balanced. How can you play the game when she will land a million jump in 2 per round? She also has safe 50/50 with B2/whatever low she wants to do. And after she knocks you down she will jump again. Ex push is useless

unnecessary shade
not even shade, shade is supposed to be funny, just rude
How is that rude? Just speaking my mind here since that is the vibe I have been getting from everyone. And if u look closely, I didn't even say that I WAS sick of him talking about Balanced. Just some people.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Ismael you need to let it go and pick a better character, there is just no reason to keep injuring yourself with this lol.

I don't even talk about KL anymore, i just play it if i feel like it, currently i've been learning a new character tho.

ismael4790

Ismael you need to let it go and pick a better character, there is just no reason to keep injuring yourself with this lol.

I don't even talk about KL anymore, i just play it if i feel like it, currently i've been learning a new character tho.
Not complaining about the character, just asking people's impressions about how it has evolved.

Would be nice to discuss matchups and strategies about his new version because many matchups approach has changed, but it's really hard to find someone to do it since now I'm convinced nobody plays this variation anymore.

Last edited:

The_Tile

Your hole is mine!
Curious what you think of the Summoner MU, it's definitely in Quan's favour but by how much, do you think?

Possessed vs Summoner is probably a 5-5 though

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Not complaining about the character, just asking people's impressions about how it has evolved.

Would be nice to discuss matchups and strategies about his new version because many matchups approach has changed, but it's really hard to find someone to do it since now I'm convinced nobody plays this variation anymore.
All i see all day, is you complaining about kenshi somehow even when u say you're not, like now.

Its not your fault or anybodies fault man, NRS made a mistake when they gathered all the data for the previous patch, and then suddently decided to add a new variable in the meta changeo it without taking in account what would happen or having no feedback.

all saying is, if the armor meta didn't changed, most of the changes in characters like Kenshi and KL would've made them good characters, but the change happened and they lost a extreme crucial move that helped them stay competitive.

Its not your fault, just move on, try spectral ermac, you might like it.

omooba

fear the moobs
How is that rude? Just speaking my mind here since that is the vibe I have been getting from everyone. And if u look closely, I didn't even say that I WAS sick of him talking about Balanced. Just some people.
Maybe I'm not on here enough to understand but how can you get a complaining vibe off of let's talk about match ups