What's new

Guide The Freddy Strategy Guide

CJKRattlehead

Two men enter, one man leaves!
It is to an extent I mean on block/cancel advantage though, Somberness will get to it eventually, was just hoping to confirm a few things before I attend my first tournament this weekend.

Hope you guys don't mind, I didn't see a general discussion thread so I though I would just use this thread to ask a few questions about Freddy, seems like others already have so I thought why not.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
Even d+4 xx NMS 2 can be armored through and jumped back. Freddy's tightest d+4 string is d+4 xx finger, which can still be armored through.

As Vip3r says, Freddy's d+4 is not that good at all.

insignis

Noob
a question regarding NMS~2 - sweet dreams arised when in practice some characters were able to punish it with wake up (JC foot, Noob horizontal shadows, Kung Lao spin etc) - am I doing something wrong or it really works that way?

M2Dave

Zoning Master
a question regarding NMS~2 - sweet dreams arised when in practice some characters were able to punish it with wake up (JC foot, Noob horizontal shadows, Kung Lao spin etc) - am I doing something wrong or it really works that way?
I can test again. NMS, 2, sweet dreams set should be 100% safe. The hit stun on NMS, 2 is huge.

AK Vip3r

Ghost of Vip3r
how do I keep my distance from Kung Lao? This match is giving me nightmares!
There is a couple of things you can do.

-If you predict dive kicks, dash forward and block. You have a high chance of catching them for a full punish after you block it.

-You have to train yourself to react to teleports. If I see a teleport, I typically dash forward immediately as KL tele's and it puts me out of his range but I can still uppercut.

-Don't throw a ton of projectiles against him. Thats an opening calling for tele's and dive kicks. Stick to Ground Claws when possible.

I also struggle with this match a bit but, these 3 things tend to help me out.

ecilA

Noob
In the Kenshi mu is it possible to punish a fell screen reflect of the glove toss with an ex hell spike or normal far hell spike?

Obs_SmSwag

"I have good taste because I like what I like"
Is F2 1 Freddy's best answer after a landed d3 or as a counter-poke? I've been doing F4 for the past couple of days because it's ony -1 on block. F2 is 2 frames faster, but naked f2 1 is -19. I guess you do F2 1 B3, which is only -3, but is it worth the risk?

Also, How good are NMS mix-ups after F4 3. NMS2 hits even if F4 3 pushes back, and you can cancel into fingers or glove toss which are unpunishable.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
In the Kenshi mu is it possible to punish a fell screen reflect of the glove toss with an ex hell spike or normal far hell spike?
No. Only works if Kenshi tries a wake up reflect, which Freddy can set up by doing a far spike and tossing a meaty finger. If Kenshi tried to reflect the finger, far spike is guaranteed to hit.

Is F2 1 Freddy's best answer after a landed d3 or as a counter-poke? I've been doing F4 for the past couple of days because it's ony -1 on block. F2 is 2 frames faster, but naked f2 1 is -19. I guess you do F2 1 B3, which is only -3, but is it worth the risk?

Also, How good are NMS mix-ups after F4 3. NMS2 hits even if F4 3 pushes back, and you can cancel into fingers or glove toss which are unpunishable.
I am not sure what you mean. f+4 is faster than f+2, which has an 18F start up. If you see me do f+2, it is an accident. I do not like to use this move. Too slow and offers no reward.

I like to do d+1 or f+4 after d+1.

NMS after f+4,2 is good. f+4,3 xx glove / fingers is OK. You are safe but barely (-5 on block). This disadvantage is large enough for Cage, Jax, Kabal, Sonya, etc. to make you block their best strings and get their offense started.

Obs_SmSwag

No. Only works if Kenshi tries a wake up reflect, which Freddy can set up by doing a far spike and tossing a meaty finger. If Kenshi tried to reflect the finger, far spike is guaranteed to hit.

I am not sure what you mean. f+4 is faster than f+2, which has an 18F start up. If you see me do f+2, it is an accident. I do not like to use this move. Too slow and offers no reward.

I like to do d+1 or f+4 after d+1.

NMS after f+4,2 is good. f+4,3 xx glove / fingers is OK. You are safe but barely (-5 on block). This disadvantage is large enough for Cage, Jax, Kabal, Sonya, etc. to make you block their best strings and get their offense started.
Yeah I was wondering, I looked at F2 1 and saw 10 frames. It was a misread on my part. It felt like F4 was a better counter-poke option. My mistake. So is F4 3 NMS worse than F4 2 NMS? I figured they both work reasonably well.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
Yeah I was wondering, I looked at F2 1 and saw 10 frames. It was a misread on my part. It felt like F4 was a better counter-poke option. My mistake. So is F4 3 NMS worse than F4 2 NMS? I figured they both work reasonably well.
f+4,3 xx NMS is technically better than f+4,2 because f+4,3 has less recovery frames. f+4,3 also provides more cancel advantage than f+4,2. But you have to use both strings to stay unpredictable.

By the way, if you are looking for the string, you are wasting your time. Freddy's strings are the definition of average. Every top 15 character has superior normal and strings by a mile.

Obs_SmSwag

f+4,3 xx NMS is technically better than f+4,2 because f+4,3 has less recovery frames. f+4,3 also provides more cancel advantage than f+4,2. But you have to use both strings to stay unpredictable.

By the way, if you are looking for the string, you are wasting your time. Freddy's strings are the definition of average. Every top 15 character has superior normal and strings by a mile.
Yeah I know what you're talking about. That's why Lao is my Main, Freddy's just for characters like Sonya and Cage. I'm just trying to find the best 'Get the hell off of me' and counterpoking strings. I appreciate the help man.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
m2dave

What do you think?

The highest damaging combo after a neutral jumping punch should be u+3 -> EX spikes -> JP -> b+1,2,u+1 -> f+4,2,1 -> far spike -> far spike, which does 45% of damage.

AA 1 -> b+2 works, but is it consistent at farther ranges? I am not sure. The non-meter damage after AA 1 is generally very weak, which can be a problem in some match ups.

AK Vip3r

Ghost of Vip3r
The highest damaging combo after a neutral jumping punch should be u+3 -> EX spikes -> JP -> b+1,2,u+1 -> f+4,2,1 -> far spike -> far spike, which does 45% of damage.

AA 1 -> b+2 works, but is it consistent at farther ranges? I am not sure. The non-meter damage after AA 1 is generally very weak, which can be a problem in some match ups.
I couldnt get up.3 to link to save my life. Ill have to try it again. take that video as something for noobs like me haha.